Lifting Hoist

Bike
09 ST1300A
Have any of you purchased a lifting hoist to upright a fallen ST ?
The current MCN (August 2018) features specs and writeup on the Dustriders Motorcycle Hoist ($269.99)
and the Eastbound MotoWinch ($226.00)
I'm very interested, but want to hear if any of you have found these hoists effective for the ST1300.

Have you dropped your ST yet?

If you haven't, it takes less effort to pick up than you might imagine.
I dropped ours three times and each time I had it back on the side stand in less than a minute.

Contrast that to my Tiger 955 which I dropped five times and was only once able to pick it up by myself.

I'm fortunate in that I'm in good shape and no back issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm in reasonably good shape, w/ some back issues but this spring I managed to pick up my ST alone. It was NOT easy nor did it take less effort than I imagined. It was on a city street, blacktop, with no gravel, and down on its right side. I did the classic butt on the seat, grab the aft handgrip and handle bar and lifted it up using my legs. (Set my Worall parking brake first, and deployed the kick stand.) I pushed it over onto the stand, and relaxed. Had the bike fallen to the left, after picking it up I am not sure I would have been able to stabilize it before it toppled over onto the opposite side. If there had been gravel, uneven pavement, potholes, etc., this would have been much more difficult and probably beyond my capabilities. (Wouldn't you know it, once the bike was up and on the side stand, as I was putting my gloves and helmet back on, a pickup stopped and offered me help.)

The MCN reviews were interesting, but I rejected those toys because iirc, they will damage the bike where the bar or webbing rubs against the bike as it is lifted. Solution? Always ride with a big guy who is your best friend so he can help you right the bike. Seriously, I've been thinking about some kind of lift that might attach to the Bygdawg bars aft and slowly raise the bike w/o damage. Was there not a woman who rode her GoldWing all over the USA well into her 80's? I remember reading that she had a way to lift the bike when she dropped it by herself using a small jack of some sort.

I don't bet, but I think I'm up there with the best in total number of tip overs (and no damage to show for it beyond scuffed tip over covers).

Yes, I've dropped it twice.
I was able to pick up my 2001 Valkyrie, it had a lower c of g, but the last time I dropped
my ST (in my garage), my wife and I could not get it up. A neighbor helped me pick it up.
Note my age, not as strong as I use to be. :)

Have any of you purchased a lifting hoist to upright a fallen ST ?
The current MCN (August 2018) features specs and writeup on the Dustriders Motorcycle Hoist ($269.99).

Watched the video on the Dustrider lift in action. Looks like it took quite a bit of arm strength, the guy was sitting on the ground and just about lifting himself each time he pulled down. Fairly short arm for the ratchet strap mechanism.

I dropped my ST in my driveway one morning. My wife was still in bed, so I pulled our Highlander alongside, got my come-along out, and attached it to the hitch on the back of the car and the cable to the Bygdawg bar. Cranked the bike up click by click. No problem. I guess this means carry a full sized car and come-along with you where ever you go - or don't drop the bike.

I dropped my ST in my driveway one morning. My wife was still in bed, so I pulled our Highlander alongside, got my come-along out, and attached it to the hitch on the back of the car and the cable to the Bygdawg bar. Cranked the bike up click by click. No problem. I guess this means carry a full sized car and come-along with you where ever you go - or don't drop the bike.

Or go hit the :weights2::sbike1::weights1::wt1: and after all of that, maybe a little :rx1: to ease the pain! :rofl1:

And BTW (after re-reading the beginning of this thread) it's amazing what just 10 years does to ones ability to :weights1: :eek:4:

Last edited:
Or go hit the :weights2::sbike1::weights1::wt1: and after all of that, maybe a little :rx1: to ease the pain! :rofl1:

And BTW (after re-reading the beginning of this thread) it's amazing what just 10 years does to ones ability to :weights1: :eek:4:

No kidding. And that 10 yrs leads to a decrease in weight benched. We go to the gym every day - or try to and typically miss only a few days a month. Tonite I did 15 chin ups - the bench press setups were too busy.

Back
Top Bottom