Lighter Bike Search

Bike
09 ST1300A
I've started my lighter bike search. Last week I went to two bike dealers in southern NH that have good showrooms and inventory.
1st I'm looking for less weight, close to 500 lb., must be able to handle two up, have a decent ride and I like that some have 25"-27" seat hight.
That lower seat would give my 29" inseam better earth leverage.
I CANNOT understand why Honda always throws in the towel; forfeiting the ST to the competition like BMW, Suzuki, Kawi and the CB1100 ("discontinued") to Triumph etc.

Attached are some bikes I checked out, that I can go back another day and test ride with my wife. Now don't laugh, you can see I like old school. :biggrin: I am old school :rofl1:
I welcome your bike suggestions that fit my wish list above.

W800 Kawi.jpegRebel 1100 Honda.jpgAero.jpegBonnie 3,500 miles.jpg2021 Honda CB1100 Discontinued.png

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
Some pretty iron there.
I still want to suggest the KTM 390, but then you said "two up."
Nah, that won't work.
But it IS lighter!

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
You might want to check out the Royal Enfield Super Meteor 650, when it arrives in North America in a few months. They have done some great work on improving their bikes in the past three or four years. Prices are quite reasonable too.

Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
The new Honda Hornet 750 is getting some pretty decent reviews; 418lb/190 kg and 31"/795mm seat height. Looks nice too (to my 80's jaded eyes anyway).

The new Honda Hornet 750 is getting some pretty decent reviews; 418lb/190 kg and 31"/795mm seat height. Looks nice too (to my 80's jaded eyes anyway).
And may not make it to the US.

I guess all makers are producing the "insect look" these days :/

Willsmotorcycle

Ride more...
Site Supporter
Bike
2016 ST1300P
2024 Miles
+1 on the Royal Enfield, there's a lot of nice bikes in your line up. Some of the manufactures have a scrambler look going, they may be sized right. My father is a little older than you, if asked, I would be leaning into the W800, pun intended. Good luck with search, ride them all.

W800 Kawi.jpeg
These seem a world apart
2021 Honda CB1100 Discontinued.png

Bike
VStrom 650
I was in Triumph, Newcastle upon Tyne recently. Just mooching about as you do. There was a couple in their seventies trying out bikes for size. They were smitten by the smaller cc Bonneville to replace their existing Bonneville. They placed their order. The bike sure was pretty.
The seat seemed sensible for two and the rear pegs were also low enough.
I know there is plenty of aftermarket stuff for the Triumphs and they are well sorted by now. The RE's are nice too, but only you can decide on that.
if you're after period style panniers etc, check these out.

Upt.

Bike
2006 ST1300
When I started looking for a summer ( read: cooler) bike , I kept reading about the NC700X, and I started looking at them. I wanted something longer legged, and a bit more comfy than my Honda Helix. I bought a fully loaded one for a reasonable price, and it has turned out to be a really good bike. I do a lot of around town rides on it, as well as some nice longer rides. Lots of aftermarket farkles are available for it, and it really doesn't need much.
Although my 2013 is fairly high for you, I hear that the newer ones ( NC750X) are much lower, and can be lowered even more. It is a breeze to move around the garage too. The 70MPG does not hurt either....

I do take my wife to work on it often, and it is quite comfy for two.

I agree on the points @klaproth states about the NC700/NC750 bikes. We had one. I like the idea of the front "helmet trunk" (gas tank is under the seat).

It can be outfitted however you like (luggage, etc). Newer models offer DCT or manual, ABS, and traction control. And yea, 65+ mpg ain't shabby :)

Heck, I used to take it off roading too - nothing serious, but fun to get off the concrete every now and then :thumb:

ardykay54

Russ "NeonMan" Knock
Bike
22 Kaw Z900rs 50 ann
2024 Miles
STOC #

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I'm not a fan myself.

I guess all makers are producing the "insect look" these days :/
:/ :/ :/ :/ :/ At least Honda does us the favor of giving fair warning of what to expect visually. It's not as beaky as some offerings but I'm not liking it. And it's not designed for two up. Honda's a fan of labels and should have one that says:

WARNING: The use of the passenger seating area is for EMERGENCY USE ONLY. It should not under any circumstances be used by anyone over 4' tall or over the age of 25. Exceptions may be made for professional gymnasts or contortionists.

I suppose there's a lot to like about this ride — it's just not the droid I'm looking for. Now something like

Maybe with a bit more color and a bit of chrome

like that would be the ticket. Put the V7 Special's chrome on the V7 Stone and paint the rear fender and side covers to match the rest of the bike. Wire wheels – maybe. That would be my preference. Soft luggage and a bikini fairing would have to be sourced. It appears more pillion friendly than most beak bikes (maybe a seat swap for the Stone.

But– what about reliability and support? That's a big deal. The greater the former the less need of the latter. But otherwise the V7s tick a lot of boxes for me.
Moto Guzzi V7

Top Bottom