Lights on bags

Bike
2011 ST_1300 PA
STOC #
I want to put some turn signals on my bags, thinking of using magnetic connectors for the wiring. Amazon really doesn't have much to choose from, Aliexpress has a selection, but that site is hard for me to get a clearview of what I'm getting
Any suggestions on connectors to use

I used Admore lighting strips for brake and indicator lights - one on each side case. Those were permanently mounted, but they came with a waterproof connector so that I could detach one or both of the panniers complete with the lights still attached. You might be able to modify one of their offerings so that you can remove it from your bags.

I don't understand what you mean by 'magnetic connectors' unless it might be something like Apple's laptop charging cord - their 'magsafe' connector. Never saw anyone else marketing that type of magnetic connector.

You can use radio control servo extensions. Available in all lengths and come with a 3 conductor male connector on one end and a female on the other. Cut the wire in half and you get mating connectors with wires attached. The wires are heave enough for most LED indicators.

John

Servo extensions

@RichKat @Willsmotorcycle

Very cool idea, I found some "side marker lights" about 4 inches long that are sequential flashing I want to use

Also, do you want running-brake-signal lights... I think you can only get one of these w/2 contact point connection. Ground plus whatever.

Newark.com has a number of options if you check out the "Magnetic Connectors & Cable Assemblies" category.

Magnetic Connectors & Cable Assemblies | Newark

I used Admore lighting strips for brake and indicator lights - one on each side case. Those were permanently mounted, but they came with a waterproof connector so that I could detach one or both of the panniers complete with the lights still attached. You might be able to modify one of their offerings so that you can remove it from your bags.

Newark.com also has the AMPHENOL connectors that Admore uses:

ecomate® Plastic Series Circular Industrial Connectors | Newark

Last edited:
Newark.com has a number of options....
Last time I checked, Newark had some ridiculous minimum order requirements. At one time they were my go-to for electronic components, but that changed as they grew. Their catalog (last I saw) was about the size of Graingers - maybe 3 to 4" thick.

I don't understand what you mean by 'magnetic connectors' unless it might be something like Apple's laptop charging cord - their 'magsafe' connector. Never saw anyone else marketing that type of magnetic connector.

They make them.. lots of styles.

1675292665161.png

1675292750167.png

1675292834204.png

1675292885842.png

and more.

As for connecting lights up I've seen folks also go with a quick detach option (think twist and lock.) They are waterproof, a more secure connection in some ways, and easy to disconnect when you want to remove a side case.

1675293138126.png

Last edited:
Newark.com has a number of options if you check out the "Magnetic Connectors & Cable Assemblies" category.
Not a primary consideration for me but I'd like magnetic connectors that are water resistant if not water proof. Or maybe a thin layer of silicon RTV or similar to seal them yet render them easily separated if/when need be.

Obo those are some slick connectors. Magnetic works well for someone who might remove a bag without remembering to disconnect.

I think lights on bags can be really effective. They can give anybody behind you a better idea of speed and distance before they're on you. A suitable connector has always put me off but those magnetic connectors could do what I want. That would be tail lights/turn signals/brake lights.

Very cool idea, I found some "side marker lights" about 4 inches long that are sequential flashing I want to use
Don't Bogart that info! Share! :D They go back further but the first sequential tail lights I saw were on a Cougar XR7. IIRC each segment lit up one at a time and remained lit until all three were illuminated. Then they went dark and the process repeated. It took a lot of electro-mechanical bits to make that work. But the look is elegant and effective. No motors or cams needed these days.

There are add-on 'Cyclon' type lights that illuminate only one element at a time by your command. Effective but it lacks elegance. I prefer the former over the latter.

Back
Top Bottom