Linked brakes

STOC #
I honestly like them alot. I have a PC800 in the garage and had a few occasions where hitting the front hard with minimal back caused the forks to cross up with some interesting pucker factor recovering from it...

Bike
2007 ST1300abs
STOC #
LEVEREDGE - You have tires on your motorcycle?:eek: The next thing you'll expect me to believe is that you use synthetic oil - whoever heard of such stuff. If ain't dino it ain't .... ;-)
UP. I like tires with tread left on them, motorcycle or car. I'm funny that way! I use that slippery brown stuff oil. I'm pretty good at changing it out in the bike. I get it all over the place! Remember when they put the old oil on the dirt roads to keep the dust down? I'm not sure they were good old days!

Very happy with my LBS non ABS version. Braking action is strong and sure. Even though I use both brakes for quick or panic stop, I sometimes just use the front to slow down a bit when I don't need heavy braking action. I like that I'm getting some from both front and rear regardless.

the Ferret

Daily rider since May 1965
Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
I don't like it. Grumpy old man rant on. If you can't ride a bike without linked brakes, then you probably shouldn't be riding. Grumpy old man rant off.

It's not a matter of can't. I ride bikes with linked discs (ST), unlinked discs (Tri Bonneville and FZ1), disc front drum rear (Nighthawk 750) and drum front & rear (old Yamaha). I don't have a problem riding any of them and they are all different, you just brake accordingly.

I'd ride one with ABS or linked ABS if I had one.

Don't think it would present any particular probems.

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
I am not a fan of linked brakes, Or ABS brakes, I think a good rider can stop faster with out either,,,,, But the linked brakes on my 05 ST 1300 is a giant leap compared to my old 1996 SE 1500 wing,,,, I do not no what the difference is but the wing really sucked,,,,,
Mike
Absolutely correct under limited, specific conditions. However can that good rider stop faster:

1. when the element of surprise presents itself?
2. on his very first attempt?
3. when the surface is uniformly wet or sandy?
4. when the surface changes, going from dry to wet, clean to sandy, etc.?

A bunch of magazines and some DOT research papers with everything from novice riders to professional road racers has yet to prove this under anything but ideal conditions including practice runs.

Am I as good as the rider that beat the ABS/LBS stopping distance under idea conditions with a few preliminary practice runs? - NO. I'll have a generous helping of technology thank you.

Bike
BMW RT, DRZ400
STOC #
I don't like it. Grumpy old man rant on. f you can't ride a bike without linked brakes, then you probably shouldn't be riding. Grumpy old man rant off
+1 well..........., maybe with just a bit less grump for the people who like them though it "begins" to nearly reflect my basic attitude on linked brakes for myself. I do think they were invented originally for the crowd who feared the front brake and so stopped really poorly. There was a time when there was a front brake fearing culture going around in my area way back in the day. Some of us avoided falling into the negative culture due to racing experience, others didn't. That probably bought about a lot of needless crashes so they are good in addressing that. I just kind of wish bikes I might like didn't have them or at least allowed a disable of them.

I bought the ST despite them, I'm happy enough to be rid of them, they posed no insurmountable problem or important detriment to speak of while I had them because of the ST weight. I never really trusted them enough in deep slick gravel to ride to any performance limit with them in those conditions (because, again, the weight of the ST had me riding s good deal more gingerly than usual in those conditions anyway).

They also posed no benefit whatever for me while I rode with them. I personally feel no need to be lazy about lever/foot-pedal ratio use when riding.

I would avoid them like the hairy plague on any light bike I might be in the mood to fire road with (such as my SV). All macadam riding, they are a non issue either way. If I had my druthers I'd stay free of them, just for the special times.

I'd still buy a road bike I liked again if it had them (unless I wanted to fire road it), as they aren't actually annoying except in special circumstances. Since the ST was my first bike with them I purposely spent the extra dough on ABS because the brakes were linked... just in case (having had no prior experience of them). It turned out I didn't run into using the abs due to the link or otherwise for that riding season after all, and didn't find them intrusive in most conditions. However, as I said, I was easy going with the ST in the dirt, no bicycle sliding into turns and such, and I kept to lower easy going speeds over gravel especially downhill in the dirt. Sliding the ST in 3 inch deep gravel turned out not being an experience to be searched out, due to dig and wallow and dabbing having little effect. I admit I had no faith on the ST in those extreme conditions and didn't want to perform further linked brake traction tests into the unknown with a 700+lb. bike ( so I never tested the link out in dirt conditions at the edge of the envelope).

Linked brakes remind me of shaft/vs/chain you might prefer one over the other, (I'm the oddball duck that likes a chain better) but whatever you like on either they shouldn't truly stop a good rider from ownership in "most" cases.

I always liked a chain drive standard braked bike, still like a chain drive standard brake bike best, have owned shaft, linked ABS though, would again if other factors really called out to me on the machine.

I just never personally experienced the benefit others attribute to the link, and wish others didn't like them so they couldn't be on any machines I might be tempted to buy. In the end though there is an experience level of rider they do help out and so I wouldn't call for their removal from the market. I just wish mightily for a disable switch for those "occasions".

Last edited:

the Ferret

Daily rider since May 1965
Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
Wow Carl I'm not even sure that riding in 3" deep gravel and "bicycle" sliding the ST in corners on dirt was one of the parameters the engineers even considered when designing the ST. Being a bagged sport touring bike I'm sure those were really not considerations. Considering what the ST WAS designed for I think it performs quite well.

Yes there was a lot of front brake fear in the early years 69-79 when it was feared that grabbing a handful of disc brake would throw you over the bars..the reverse of that is the current crappola being spouted by the sport bike crowd of never touching the REAR brake.

Using both brakes in tandem with light modulation of the rear and controlled pressure on the front is still the quickest way to stop a motorcycle. Always has been, always will be. Linked braking and ABS are just tools (like disc brakes themselves) to aid in stopping quickly and safely.

Bike
2006 ST1300
I like em. Spent 9 years and 83k miles with them on the XX and the system is almost the same. Even takes the same brake pads.

Best part is it's almost impossible to lock the rear wheel. I know ABS would do that but with LBS I think the ABS is totally unnecessary.

When I rode the FJR the rear locked too easily. When I had a V65 Sabre, same thing.

They don't bother me in any type of riding.

Only time it's a bother is at bleed time.

Bike
BMW RT, DRZ400
STOC #
Wow Carl I'm not even sure that riding in 3" deep gravel and "bicycle" sliding the ST in corners on dirt was one of the parameters the engineers even considered when designing the ST. Being a bagged sport touring bike I'm sure those were really not considerations.
HAH! they must not have known I was hiding in the bushes waiting to buy one then:D

I love em, I used to ride an HD Road King can I tell you how far up the tank Iwent in my first quick stop application....... I still use both brakes to stop just like always the big differance I notice now is that it is far easier to modualte the brakes in severe braking if you haven't already engaged ABS.

Top Bottom