Location Sharing Could Save Your Life

Are you sure about the use of cellular data and difference in coverage? I could not find any corroboration that Spot uses cellular networks at all. When prompted the tracker device sends GPS location or text data up to a network of low earth orbit satellites which then relay that data directly via downlink to Spot's monitoring facilities. If the Spot monitoring facility is not "seen" by the responding satellite the data is relayed to a satellite that can downlink directly to the monitoring facility. Spot uses the same GlobalStar 48 low earth orbit satellite system for GPS location that InReach uses then uses cellular or land line to notify the emergency or routine contacts the Spot user has listed in his/her account. Presumably these contacts are going to be inside of reliable cellular or land line networks which is the only part of the system that may use cellular networks.
Globalstar does not use cellular for direct communications with the device. They use cellular and even wired land service between the sattelite receiving stations and the emergency response center. When you send a message via your SPOT it is relayed from the satellite to a ground station and from there it uses either cellular or land line to the response center. Iridium does this differently. Not sure how how much difference this could make.

I found this:

Globalstar Overview
The following provides an overview of the Globalstar network.
Satellite Network
The Globalstar network consists of 40 ground stations that receive the signal from the 25 overflying satellites and transfer these to the local telephone networks.
The smaller size of the Globalstar network means that there is not as much coverage provided compared to Iridium.
Services And Products
Globalstar services include the following:
  • Voice Telephony
  • SMS text messaging
  • Direct Dial-Up Internet
  • Internet Broadband
  • Short-burst messages that are mobile originated.
  • A geolocation function accurate to within 30 km.
Globalstar has teamed up with Apple and offers satellite communication on the latest generation of iPhones.
This is only available in areas where Globalstar provides Network coverage. North America is the primary market in which this service is offered.
Iridium Overview
The following provides an overview of the Iridium network.
Satellite Network
The Iridium satellite network comprises 66 satellites in low earth orbit (LEO).
These lower orbiting satellites (485 miles high) are close to the Earth and, in theory, should provide a superior signal compared to the other systems.
The LEO satellites rotate relative to the Earth in a north/south direction.
Because they move in a direction relative to the Earth’s rotation, they are called non-geostationary orbits.
A unique feature of the Iridium network is that coverage includes the North and South Poles. The Iridium satellite network has the most extensive coverage of the two systems.
At all times, four Iridium satellites are “cross-linked,” providing backup in case of failure.
The downside of LEO constellations is that the signals are subject to ionospheric interference at low latitudes.
Iridium uses L-Band frequencies more resilient to weather events than other systems.

Last edited:
Globalstar does not use cellular for direct communications with the device. They use cellular and even wired land service between the sattelite receiving stations and the emergency response center. When you send a message via your SPOT it is relayed from the satellite to a ground station and from there it uses either cellular or land line to the response center. Iridium does this differently. Not sure how how much difference this could make.

I found this:

Globalstar Overview
The following provides an overview of the Globalstar network.
Satellite Network
The Globalstar network consists of 40 ground stations that receive the signal from the 25 overflying satellites and transfer these to the local telephone networks.
The smaller size of the Globalstar network means that there is not as much coverage provided compared to Iridium.
Services And Products
Globalstar services include the following:
  • Voice Telephony
  • SMS text messaging
  • Direct Dial-Up Internet
  • Internet Broadband
  • Short-burst messages that are mobile originated.
  • A geolocation function accurate to within 30 km.
Globalstar has teamed up with Apple and offers satellite communication on the latest generation of iPhones.
This is only available in areas where Globalstar provides Network coverage. North America is the primary market in which this service is offered.
Iridium Overview
The following provides an overview of the Iridium network.
Satellite Network
The Iridium satellite network comprises 66 satellites in low earth orbit (LEO).
These lower orbiting satellites (485 miles high) are close to the Earth and, in theory, should provide a superior signal compared to the other systems.
The LEO satellites rotate relative to the Earth in a north/south direction.
Because they move in a direction relative to the Earth’s rotation, they are called non-geostationary orbits.
A unique feature of the Iridium network is that coverage includes the North and South Poles. The Iridium satellite network has the most extensive coverage of the two systems.
At all times, four Iridium satellites are “cross-linked,” providing backup in case of failure.
The downside of LEO constellations is that the signals are subject to ionospheric interference at low latitudes.
Iridium uses L-Band frequencies more resilient to weather events than other systems.
As long as we stay away from the North and South Poles I think we will be OK with either satellite constellation but I didn't see anything there that suggested SPOT uses cellular networks from nodes to their monitoring facilities. That's what I was asking about. SPOT uses the same method of relaying location and text data from satellites via downlink directly to their monitoring facilities. Only from the monitoring facility to the account's contacts could cellular possibly be used which is the same as Iridium.

Last edited:
As long as we stay away from the North and South Poles I think we will be OK with either satellite constellation but I didn't see anything there that suggested SPOT uses cellular networks from nodes to their monitoring facilities. That's what I was asking about. SPOT uses the same method of relaying location and text data from satellites via downlink directly to their monitoring facilities. Only from the monitoring facility to the account's contacts could cellular possibly be used which is the same as Iridium.
From Iridium:
The Iridium network does not rely on local ground infrastructure, so it is unaffected by conditions in disaster zones. Additionally, our network operates in the L-band, meaning the connections are resilient to weather conditions, enabling reliable connectivity even in the immediate aftermath of a storm. Your team can rely on Iridium for critical connections for immediate response and relief, as well as ongoing medium and long-term recovery and reconstruction efforts.
  • Mobile devices like satellite phones and personal communicators, such as satellite messengers, allow users to connect with emergency response teams and coordinate rescue efforts in real time.
  • Cellular and land-based networks are constantly evolving to provide stronger connectivity, but as we’ve seen, these networks are not impervious to outages during natural disasters and extreme weather events. Cell towers are dependent on local telecommunication infrastructure, meaning connectivity can be vulnerable to damaging events like flooding, fire, and high winds carrying debris.
I am sure there is not a big difference. I do however have the experience using both a SPOT device and an InReach device and the InReach is superior as far as connections go in mountainous areas in canyons and under trees etc.

I do use some SPOT devices as I use the SPOT Trace small gps trackers hidden on my bikes, on my RV and on my personal pickup truck that sits unused a lot. The SPOT Trace is very small and easy to hide on vehicles and notifies me if it detects movement. The Trace is pretty reasonably priced too. I just find that the InReach is superior as an emergency device as I ride a lot in the mountains and canyons where I live. I also live in an area that has be subjected to earthquakes, major fires and severe flooding over the last 10 years.

Last edited:
I like Life360. It is phone-based so depends on cell coverage but it is free and it's nice you can create a circle of contacts. That's nice when you have a few folks you're riding with and you'd like to know where they are on the way to a meeting point or if you do get lost going somewhere.

The new Garmin XT2 is supposed to support a way to see other XT2 users but I haven't looked into that since I'm on the XT only.

I dropped the spot due to cost as even the change in their billing was still too much $$ for me. Most of my riding is in places with cell coverage.

The family uses Life 360 in our everyday life. It is nice to see where the kids are, but it helps me know when the wife leaves work, is almost home from the grocery store without having to call. I had a SPOT, but cost stopped me. I am trying to get more off road, so an Inreach or some other device will probably be in my future.

Back
Top Bottom