Log Cabin Motel - Bay Minette, AL Feedback

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Well, I booked the Log Cabin Motel through Expedia for the last ride of the year as I always do.
Then I had my little 'get off' and called them from the hospital to let them know (29th) I could not make it and why I could not make it so they could release the room.
The 'official' policy is I would have to cancel on the 28th to get a refund and I understand that.
The motel (when I called on the 29th) told me it was an Expedia issue about the refund.
When I contacted Expedia today, they contacted the Log Cabin while I waited and Expedia explained the situation to the motel.
The hotel still refused to issue a refund despite the 'unusual' situation and knowing about my accident.
That is fine but it will be a cold day in Honolulu before I ever set foot in that place again!
The room fee will not break me financially but a little bit of kindness and understanding on their part would have been nice.

Last edited:
Bike
2007 ST1300
I have book with Expedia in the past and they make sure you know that "past" a certain date it is non-refundable. So there are some good discounts but if you miss the date your out.
Fully understand your frustration.. Hope you are feeling better...

OP
OP
Uncle Phil

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
I have book with Expedia in the past and they make sure you know that "past" a certain date it is non-refundable. So there are some good discounts but if you miss the date your out.
Fully understand your frustration.. Hope you are feeling better...
This was not an Expedia problem as they were willing to do it and called the hotel while I waited.
It was the hotel choice not to do the refund. :mad:
It ain't the money as much as it is the principle of the thing.

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
I'm betting it's all those folks who tell whatever tall tale they can imagine up in order to save themselves money that ruins it for the rest of us.

Honesty doesn't seem to get a person as far these days as story does. Pity that.

Shuey

Site Supporter
Bike
FJR1300 ES, 2018
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
This was not an Expedia problem as they were willing to do it and called the hotel while I waited.
It was the hotel choice not to do the refund. :mad:
It ain't the money as much as it is the principle of the thing.
Phil, I hope you've found some better solutions to deal with the ongoing pain and are mending already. We sure missed seeing you.

I'll have to disagree with your conclusion about the Log Cabin. Getting the best rate through Expedia from a mom&pop enterprise comes with their clearly defined limitations.

As I try to look at it from their post of view, it's what you said, "It ain't the money as much as it s the principle of the thing." I suspect the money IS dear to them at this low demand time of year. Seems to me Expedia could have given you the refund directly, but . . . didn't.

Hope to see you next year (sooner if possible) regardless of where you stay. I'll still be at the Log Cabin Inn.

In any case, still friends?

Shuey

TOS

Bike
2015 Super Tenere
STOC #
Well, I booked the Log Cabin Motel through Expedia for the last ride of the year as I always do.
Then I had my little 'get off' and called them from the hospital to let them know (29th) I could not make it and why I could not make it so they could release the room.
The 'official' policy is I would have to cancel on the 28th to get a refund and I understand that.
The motel (when I called on the 29th) told me it was an Expedia issue about the refund.
When I contacted Expedia today, they contacted the Log Cabin while I waited and Expedia explained the situation to the motel.
The hotel still refused to issue a refund despite the 'unusual' situation and knowing about my accident.
That is fine but it will be a cold day in Honolulu before I ever set foot in that place again!
The room fee will not break me financially but a little bit of kindness and understanding on their part would have been nice.
Phil, Sorry to hear you stepped off before stopping. Hope you're doing ok and on the way back to Ride Safe.

OP
OP
Uncle Phil

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Phil, I hope you've found some better solutions to deal with the ongoing pain and are mending already. We sure missed seeing you.

I'll have to disagree with your conclusion about the Log Cabin. Getting the best rate through Expedia from a mom&pop enterprise comes with their clearly defined limitations.

As I try to look at it from their post of view, it's what you said, "It ain't the money as much as it s the principle of the thing." I suspect the money IS dear to them at this low demand time of year. Seems to me Expedia could have given you the refund directly, but . . . didn't.

Hope to see you next year (sooner if possible) regardless of where you stay. I'll still be at the Log Cabin Inn.

In any case, still friends?

Shuey
Shuey - Not a friendship issue at all - good men can agree to disagree. ;)
The motel collected the money not Expedia as Expedia was fine with the refund and contacted the motel after I contacted the motel.
The motel originally told me it was an Expedia 'Issue' which is why I contacted Expedia.
So somebody is lying somewhere along the line.
The motel is the one that showed up on my credit card so they got the money.
And I did contact them directly on the day of so they could use the motel room (around lunch time).
They generally always have walkins on the week-end (seen plenty of that the many times I stayed there).
So it's not like they are out any money - maybe other than the Expedia fees.
It would have been a very nice gesture on their part to at least offer a partial refund if nothing else.
But they make their choices, I make mine and you make yours. ;)

TPadden

Tom Padden
Shuey
I think Stagecoach last ride is an event that has outlived its enjoyment factor for me. As a ST-Owners event it has never been in my top ten. Regardless of where you stay I’ll probably remain home (unless anyone wants to camp somewhere). :(

Tom

Last edited:

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I'm blessed that we are not reading a memorial thread with Uncle Phil's name on it.

There's no overnight stay in a hospital, no storage charges for your bike, no loss of life or limb here. It could have been so much worse. Heal up quick Phil.

OP
OP
Uncle Phil

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
I'm blessed that we are not reading a memorial thread with Uncle Phil's name on it.

There's no overnight stay in a hospital, no storage charges for your bike, no loss of life or limb here. It could have been so much worse. Heal up quick Phil.
Dave - Yes there was $80 worth of storage charges - that's why I went down and got her the next day. ;)
And there would have been a hospital stay but I convinced them to let me go home and get care there.
But you are right - I'm still kicking (not very high at the moment) and the limbs are still attached though the right arm isn't working well ... :biggrin:

Yea you been testing the Ole body TOO much lately.......you got some cold months for repairs and healing. I knew u was too late getting to the cabin.......glad your ok

OP
OP
Uncle Phil

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Yeah, you SAY that.
But *I* am still pi$$Ed that @Shuey left at 0930, when I was barely halfway there!
(Please do note the ☺ here, or insert one if you don't see it. )
@Shuey just figured you are some 13 year old Internet troll that doesn't really ride so why should he wait around? :biggrin:

Last edited:

Erdoc48

Site Supporter
Bike
94/00/04 STs, FSC600
Sorry to hear of all of this…hopefully you’re doing better as the days go on. So what happened exactly? Which bike and how bad was it? And yes, I definitely think an airbag vest in any rider’s case is a good investment- I won’t ride without mine.

OP
OP
Uncle Phil

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Sorry to hear of all of this…hopefully you’re doing better as the days go on. So what happened exactly? Which bike and how bad was it? And yes, I definitely think an airbag vest in any rider’s case is a good investment- I won’t ride without mine.
RedBird and she's done - Now there are three instead of four ... :(
I'm done for a while as I heal up from 4 broke ribs on the right side.
What happened - traffic jam about Abalaster, AL on I65.
Pickup truck in front of me takes off like a screamin' banshee ... then locks up his brakes.
He could stop a lot quicker than I could because of more contact patches.
When I see what's happening, I apply front brake and turn the handlebars to the right to swerve around him.
In the 'turning' process I must have pulled the front brake lever more than intended and locked the front wheel (only one of the 4 ST1100s not ABS).
I did a lowside (don't think I ever hit the truck - if so there was no damage to it) and destroyed the front end of RedBird.
Helmet and gear did what it was supposed to do - I ended up with no head injuries and ribs 3, 4 ,5 & 6 broken ribs on the right side.
No abrasions anywhere but I do have a nice big purple section covering my right hip since I landed on my right side.
I thought at first I had broken my right scapula but it turns out it was just ribs.
I had a nurse on scene carefully remove my helmet since I had earplugs in and could not hear what was going on when they asked me questions.
I assured the EMTs when they arrived that my only pain was my right shoulder and there was no need to cut off my gear.
I showed them I could move my legs and arms and fingers and such and I had not lost consciousness and had no pain anywhere else.
I said 'Just get me up (I will holler when you do) and I will come out of this gear so you can get to what you need' and fortunately they did.
Hospital folks were nice but I like to never got pain meds and a simple glass of water.
They were covered up with locals doing their weekend ER visit to get pain meds. ;)
They had no rooms open so I just laid out in the hall after an X-ray and CAT scan (which were excruciatingly painful without meds).
First dose of pain meds finally came and helped a little bit, the second dose they might as well given me an M&M and told them so.
I told them my wife was on her way so I did not want to spend the night there (4-5 hour drive down).
Painful ride back home, painful drive back down the next day to get the remains of RedBird and it will be a painful recovery for me.
But I know what to expect from my Yukon rib break experience and at least I'm not 4,000 miles from home and 360 miles from a motel now. ;)

Last edited:
Top Bottom