Long Life Battery

Bike
'04 ST1300
This must be my year for things lasting a long time. My original '04 battery just started to take a little longer
to crank so I finally purchased a replacement.....11 years later!
Replaced of course with a Yuasa. Why not?
Took good care of the original. Battery tender every winter and also if the bike was going to sit for a week or more.
I know, I know...who would do such a thing!

Wow you like living on the edge, if I tried that I would be left high and dry with a dead battery out in the middle of nowhere.

After having to bump start the ST a few times, due to sudden failure of the battery, I decided to be a little more proactive.
To wit:
I replace the battery at the LEAST little sign of decline. This usually means every 2-4 years. It doesn't matter if it is Yuasa or not, I have had both it and others. The bike is always on a tender when not being ridden. I have had failures with no warning as well on one of my other bikes. I have even taken to carrying the MicroStart booster. Used it once on my bike (my fault) and a couple of times on others bikes. Sure beats pushing these beasts!

YMMV but I have not experienced the longevity of a battery that others have.

ST's have marginal battery capacity. It doesn't take much for it to go south.

I'm not convinced that the off-the-shelf YTZ-14 is the same battery that Honda sells through its parts network.

--Mark

It wasn't so much living on the edge as it was having zero issues. I've never had cranking issues, high drain
etc. It just performed. Always felt like I was on borrowed time, but knew it would be swapped out immediately
at first little hiccup, which it was.
I too am sceptical about the new Yuasa. Sad that things aren't made like they used to be. If I get 3 to 4 years
I will be happy.

Back
Top Bottom