Looking for a Trailer for a Kayak and a ST1300

Bike
2004 ST1300 ABS
I just bought an SUV (Volvo XC60) and don't think I want a roof rack to carry stuff. I am thinking about getting a hitch to carry bicycles and to tow a small trailer to carry my ST1300 and a kayak. Any thoughts on what kind of trailer could carry either a ST1300, a kayak, or both?

Tom

Something like mine would work for you. Made commercially although I don't know the brand name. Perfect rack on top for canoe/kayak although the rear gate is one of the supports for the canoe/kayak so if it needs to come down the canoe/kayak must come off the top first. 20180630_171127.jpg

Bike
2010 ST1300
Tractor Supply has a few nice utility trailers. Depending on your time frame, you might consider waiting for them to go on sale, I saved $100, iirc.

Ron

Bike
ST1100s
STOC #
Tractor Supply has a few nice utility trailers.
Tractor Supply, Northern Tool, Harbor Freight, Lowe's and Home Depot sell trailer pretty cheap. Lots of local trailer sales places too. I would grease or at least check the grease in the hubs at the first chance. You'll be amazed at the uses you find for the trailer.

Bike
2010 ST1300
I read some reviews of the Tractor supply trailer before I bought mine. There were several complaints of broken welds, but, since I have a welder, I guessed that I could either repair it or touch up a bad looking weld before it snapped. Since purchase, I've hauled my ST in it several times, loaded it fully with bricks to the estimated capacity, loaded it with sandstone and rocks similarly, and had no problems. BTW, I got the one w/ the mesh floor - landscape trailer - and I wish I'd popped for the wooden floor model. I now just toss a sheet of 3/4 plywood in the trailer to haul my bike, but I plan on modifying it w/ a wood floor.

OP
OP
Bike
2004 ST1300 ABS
That's a pretty sturdy looking trailer. It could haul an ST and a kayak at the same time. I would probably go with an off the rack wheel chock, but the supports forming a rack is a great idea.

I've noticed that larger tires on travel trailers are popular now. It makes sense to get larger tires on my trailer. I don't have much experience with trailers - just had a small boat trailer to travel to the local boat ramp.

I'm not looking for anything fancy. Will be sure to stop by Tractor Supply to look at trailers.

I also read about some issues with welds on the Tractor Supply site. I work part time for an auto body shop and we have a welder who is willing to fix the welds for either donuts or pizza. :)
I don't think that I would buy a trailer with a mesh floor. 3/4" plywood seems like it would hold up better.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Last year when my wife not only wanted me to take her to Reno for WeSTOC, she decided we needed to go through Cedar City and look at property on our way up. So I decided that my 14 year old HF trailer wasn't going to make it across the desert to Reno, so I started looking for a new trailer. I stumbled on a 5X8 with 15" tires, brand new that a guy had bought 4 for his business and due to some upgrades from the customer, was stuck with the four trailers. I bought the first one he sold and never looked back. it was perfect for what I needed. It is a "Carson" brand (CA made).

I installed a wheel chock on it and used my threeXramp and it works great!

trailer-Aug-2017-1-lite.jpg

OP
OP
Bike
2004 ST1300 ABS
Last year when my wife not only wanted me to take her to Reno for WeSTOC, she decided we needed to go through Cedar City and look at property on our way up. So I decided that my 14 year old HF trailer wasn't going to make it across the desert to Reno, so I started looking for a new trailer. I stumbled on a 5X8 with 15" tires, brand new that a guy had bought 4 for his business and due to some upgrades from the customer, was stuck with the four trailers. I bought the first one he sold and never looked back. it was perfect for what I needed. It is a "Carson" brand (CA made).

I installed a wheel chock on it and used my threeXramp and it works great!

trailer-Aug-2017-1-lite.jpg
Nice looking trailer! The 5x8 size looks like it would work perfectly for trailering the ST and the beefy 15" tires are much bigger that the standard sized tires I have seen on smaller trailers. I have never seen a Carson brand trailer on the east coast.

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Nice looking trailer! The 5x8 size looks like it would work perfectly for trailering the ST and the beefy 15" tires are much bigger that the standard sized tires I have seen on smaller trailers. I have never seen a Carson brand trailer on the east coast.
I was actually looking for a 4x8, but when I came across this one, I had to get it! I'm sure their are local trailer builders that build that size. I'm sure Carson is a SoCal brand only.

Here's another shot of it.

ST1300Trailered-s.jpg

Last edited:
Bike
1991 ST1100
Consider buying a 'bigger' trailer than you need. In the same class (e.g. single-axle) the cost doesn't increase that much. I have a 6x10 and am constantly using it in ways I couldn't with a 4 or 5x8...

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Consider buying a 'bigger' trailer than you need. In the same class (e.g. single-axle) the cost doesn't increase that much. I have a 6x10 and am constantly using it in ways I couldn't with a 4 or 5x8...
My problem is storage. There is no way for me to store a 6X10 on my property, even the 5x8 is pushing the limits...which is why I was looking for another 4x8 to replce my original one.

bikeloaed_rain.jpg

Top Bottom