Looking for mechanic

Hello,
I live in the upper peninsula of Michigan and have a 1998 ST 1100. My bike has 27,000 miles on it and I'm looking for a shop or mechanic that has experience with this bike that can check the valve clearances and do adjustments if necessary. I've never attempted doing this myself, but could assist. Any leads would be welcome. I'm, a little hesitant to do this myself. Thanks

Bike
2010 ST1300
...I'm, a little hesitant to do this myself...
There are very few competent mechanics who are familiar with these bikes. First, there were relatively few made (compared to other models) and they tend to be very reliable. Few ever saw the inside of a dealership after the first sale and their mechanics have not had an opportunity to learn the bikes. The number of guys here who have received substandard service and/or been subjected to misdiagnosis and over charging far outstrips the group who have found good mechanics. That said, there are a few good guys out there.

I was screwed by my local dealer and I found an independent mechanic who happened to specialize on Harleys and Goldwings (he had a GW that was tricked out w/ accessories). Kevin agreed to look at my ST, he read the manual (I provided) before diving into it, and he did a very good job. This is the kind of guy you need to find. Probably the best bet would be to ask your bike owning friends if they know an independent mechanic.

Checking the valves is not a big deal, seriously. Remove the fairing, take off the valve covers to expose the cams, remove the spark plugs, and turn the engine manually to the appropriate position to check intake and exhaust valves. This is a simplified explanation, but not too simplified a description of the procedure. You will need a manual if you are not experienced. Pulling the cams to change the shims is a bit more complicated, but not difficult for a mechanic. Again, I think the manual would be indispensable.

I checked the RAN list and there are no other owners listed near you (or in your state) so finding someone on this website to help you in person might be a bit difficult. If you decide to do the job yourself, you might read this thread (only 15 posts). After doing so, give Larry a call - he is about as close to a professional mechanic on call as any of us will ever be able to find (alas, he is in Arizona). He will not only talk you through the procedure, but if you get stuck, he will unstick you. The thread I've linked below will give you an idea of the kind of guy Larry is.

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
If you can get your hands on a service manual, preferably Honda, that will help a lot.
I haven't looked for YouTube videos, but if there are any they can give you an idea of what to expect.
Larry is always the go-to guy for stateside wrenchers and wannabe wrenchers.
And while I've been out of my comfort zone a few times, a valve CHECK is not a big deal in the overall scheme of things, although I know it can be scary. Chances are pretty good that there won't even be any valves that are out of spec.

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
Hey Dennis,

If you want to try this yourself, as simply checking the clearances is not that difficult, here's a great how to video courtesy of the ST-riders Archive of Wisdom. You will need a few proper tools and decent feeler gauges, but this video should cover all of that.

Doing it yourself could save you a few hundred $$$ in labour costs by any mechanic you may find. Certainly also get yourself a copy of the Honda Factory Service Manual covering any year, as nothing changed in the valve inspection department over all the years the 1100 was produced.

EDIT: If you do decide to do this work by following the video advice, be sure to read the errata mentioned in the text below the video.

Last edited:
Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
agree with the comments that learning to do the work yourself is the best course of action. If you're not afraid of getting in there and learning how to do things yourself, there is plenty of support here to help you with the job.

most ST1100s won't need valve adjustments until the 75k mile range, chances are pretty good that yours are still in spec, so doing nothing at this point is as good an option as anything. On that topic specifically, I'd recommend leaving it alone. If you're adventurous, its really a pretty simple job to check the clearances, the worst that can happen is when you put the valve covers back on you get leaky gaskets and have to replace them. They're not cheap, and there are grommets on the bolts that hold the covers on that compress over time and may also need replacement. Between two new sets of grommets and two new valve cover gaskets you could end up dropping $100 ($30 valve gasket x 2, $5 grommet x 8) just to prove that your valves are still in spec. You don't always need to replace those every time, but given that yours are 26 years old and probably never been removed, its anybody's guess what shape they're in for re-use.

There is one thing that ST1100s eventually need, to have the coolant hoses under the carbs replaced. Given your low mileage, and presumed mild climate that its been run in, its possible that yours are actually OK. I'll let people from your part of the country comment on that, I live in a much warmer area and have far more miles on my 1100, mine failed 10 years ago.

The reality of owning a bike of this era is:

1. poor dealership/independent mechanic support
2. high cost of said support relative to the value of the bike, if you can find that support at all
3. parts are becoming more scarce by the year

OP
OP
Thanks everyone for the advice. I think I'll purchase the valve cover gaskets and grommets and have them on hand for when I'm ready to check the valve clearances and potentially tackle any needed adjustment. The bike has always run well since purchasing it used 8 years ago, but its one of those things where you want to make sure its in tip top running condition.

Top Bottom