Looks like a ST1100 in my future!

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
My neighbor across the street from me, is also from KaliforniaSTan, is back there helping clean out a garage. He called me yesterday and said that they came across a ST1100, that was running 2 years ago when they parked it, but will not start now and was wondering if I would be interested in it. I told him "Sure", like why not. I did ask how much they wanted for it, and he said if he can get it for nothing, he would just bring it to me. o_O

So I was notified this morning, and gave me a picture of it and said it had 44,000 miles on it.

ST1100-Randy.jpg

So, it looks like I'll be getting a ST1100! I forgot what year he said it was, but I think he said mid 90's. (94-96?)

I'm guessing that the gas probably went bad and destroyed the fuel pump?

When it gets here, I'll post more info on it.

Please Note: I have a world of information on ST1300s, but I have no clue working on ST1100s. :rolleyes:

Oh yeah, he said it does come with a title. :thumb:

He called me yesterday and said that they came across a ST1100
What ??

I come across cobwebs, broken bits of pushbike, flaking paint, tins of screws that my dad had me sorting into Whitworth, UNC etc when I was a kid.
I don't think there would be an ST1100 in there. I'd better go and have another look, just in case.

As others have said once you get her running you'll discover what a Jewel of a bike the 1100's are:)

Yeah, although many years ago (like 1993) I took one for a test ride! I was impressed, but then, in 2003, I bought a 1984 V65 Sabre, instead of a ST1100.

Two years later, I bought my first ST1300. So, if I can get this bike running, I'll have a chance to find out if I've missed out or not. ;)

It could be a '95, '96, or a '97. All three years we got the Pure Pearl Red colour only. The '95 will have the old problematic 28 amp alternator, if it is still stock, whereas Honda put the better 40 (vented) amper on in the following years.

One thing you will likely find is that the 1100 is far easier to wrench on than the 1300. A real bonus!

Gummed up carbs would be my first bet at a non starter that has sat.

Last edited:
It could be a '95, '96, or a '97. All three years we got the Pure Pearl Red colour only. The '95 will have the old problematic 28 amp alternator, if it is still stock, whereas Honda put the better 40 (vented) amper on in the following years.

One thing you will likely find is that the 1100 is far easier to wrench on than the 1300. A real bonus!

Gummed up carbs would be my first bet at a non starter that has sat.

Okay, interesting on the years. Let's hope it's a '96 or '97.

As for wrenching goes... I know the ST1300, inside and out, So we'll see if you are correct about it being easier.

Yeah, it's be awhile since I dealt with carbs... We'll have to see.

Reactions: Obo
Red was 95, 96, and 97 IIRC.
If I can be of help, just let me know - I have a little bit of experience with ST1100s ... ;)
If it sat that long and the carbs weren't drained, the idle jets will be stopped up.
The easy way to tell is to start it (once you can) and if it will not idle unless the 'choke' (technically a fuel enricher) is on that would be the issue.
If you put a hot battery in it, pull the fuel line off the filter and turn the key on - with a container handy as gas should squirt out if the fuel pump is working.

When I bought my 97, it had sat for two years prior, it would not start, because it had a dead battery and even when trying to jump start it, it wouldn’t start. I bought it anyway, brought it home. I put fresh spark plugs in it, fresh battery and three cranks later it started, with the old fuel still in it!
I never did touch the carbs, I added fuel injector cleaner whenever I filled my tank for three fill ups ( also used premium non ethanol fuel for those three times)
If it doesn’t start under the above conditions, then yes drain the tank and flush the carb bowls….then if it doesn’t start …clean the carbs. I just got a feeling you won’t have to work too hard to get it going.
Here’s to hoping it’s a 96 or 97.
Good luck

My neighbor across the street from me, is also from KaliforniaSTan, is back there helping clean out a garage. He called me yesterday and said that they came across a ST1100, that was running 2 years ago when they parked it, but will not start now and was wondering if I would be interested in it. I told him "Sure", like why not. I did ask how much they wanted for it, and he said if he can get it for nothing, he would just bring it to me. o_O

So I was notified this morning, and gave me a picture of it and said it had 44,000 miles on it.

View attachment 333779

So, it looks like I'll be getting a ST1100! I forgot what year he said it was, but I think he said mid 90's. (94-96?)

I'm guessing that the gas probably went bad and destroyed the fuel pump?

When it gets here, I'll post more info on it.

Please Note: I have a world of information on ST1300s, but I have no clue working on ST1100s. :rolleyes:

Oh yeah, he said it does come with a title. :thumb:
Mine took me everywhere. A very good machine!

Top Bottom