Madstad curious?

I had an e-mail from MADSTAD this morning essentially saying something similar to what he told rwthomas1. I think it is a quality product materials wise and an excellent design and I feel they are committed to resolving the mounting issue. So as RT said... Stay tuned.

OP
OP
Pop-Pop

Pop-Pop

Site Supporter
Bike
1996 ST 1100
STOC #
I had an e-mail from MADSTAD this morning essentially saying something similar to what he told rwthomas1. I think it is a quality product materials wise and an excellent design and I feel they are committed to resolving the mounting issue. So as RT said... Stay tuned.
I am on the edge of my seat! A working shield would be soooooo nice!

sirbike

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
2024 Miles
I hope they get this together right for you guys. The best windshield set up by far that I had on an ST1100 was using my ST1300 stock screen trimmed an inch and half top and bottom with laminar lip, mounted to an ST1100 screen cut down to base plate size, set within mastad’s suggested angle range. Under mirror deflectors made the whole thing work even better.
I had tried Rifle, Clearview, Clear view with laminar lip, MRA, stock, then ultimately settled on the laminar lip combo with the main shield extended up by grafting a few inches of another main shield.
Also the shield was mounted on spacers so it stood about a half inch off the fairing.
The laminar combo’s rake had the air moving faster than desired but it was smooth. The best compromise at the time.
The only notable windshield set up that I did not try was stock with laminar lip.
So my mastad like set up worked great but it was a spindly prototype affair test worthy but not road worthy.
I might have gone farther but Mastad had no offering to make it easy and my 1300 was so dialed in that I decided to use my precious little time and money to ride rather than spend it working out the 1100 windshield.

Point being this Mastad thing will for some people be worth pursuing.

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
I've had a Madstat on both my NC700s, bought the first for the 2015, came with for the second. They work well. On my 1100s (now with my 4th) I've used many screens but finally found success with a stock screen and a homemade laminar lip. Madstat ain't cheap.

PhotoDoctor

Tampa Mike
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100/ST1300/Norton
I'm sorry to hear those issues with your Madstad shield.

I've had my MadStad for maybe 5 years and live close enough that if you go to MadStad in person they mount it for no additional charge. They were able to mount it in about 15 minutes and all fit perfect at this point I've moved it onto the 3rd bike.

I do really like the shield and hope they get it sorted out for you.

Attachments

OP
OP
Pop-Pop

Pop-Pop

Site Supporter
Bike
1996 ST 1100
STOC #

I've had my MadStad for maybe 5 years and live close enough that if you go to MadStad in person they mount it for no additional charge. They were able to mount it in about 15 minutes and all fit perfect at this point I've moved it onto the 3rd bike.

I asked the guy there if he could use a bike to check his fits. Because this madstat posting will b here forever, id expect he will get more busness.
maybe you could give him a call and ask him if there is any assistance you could offer to make things easier for him and everyone here.
mike

PhotoDoctor

Tampa Mike
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100/ST1300/Norton
Have you tried mounting the black aluminum base to the bike first?

It looks like in your photos that the radius may be a little tight and might spread out some when it's mounted to the bike. I'm on the st1300 on a road trip and get back to Tampa on Sunday and can take a look at my Madstad and offer some help if needed.

PhotoDoctor

Tampa Mike
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100/ST1300/Norton
Also notice I mounted a couple of mirrors to the aluminum base, this gets the mirrors up high where you can see over a dry bag or duffle bag.

rwthomas1

Site Supporter
Bike
'01 ST1100 non-ABS
To answer the question, no I have not mounted the aluminum plate to the bike yet. One of the reasons is time, the second is that plate has a twist to it, that is visible in the pic. It takes a considerable amount of force to "untwist" it and I'm not so sure I want that force continuously applied to the structure of my bike if I force the installation. I'm greatly encouraged with the endorsements of the Madstad system, It'll work out one way or another, its going on the bike!

I had a Laminar Lip on a stock windshield and it works really, really well. Too well for summer. No airflow! That's what led me to the Madstad, hoping the adjustability gets my air when I want it and much less when I don't.

RT

Sunday Rider

Site Supporter
Bike
1997 ST1100
STOC #

I like the extra high up mirrors. How is the Madstad in the rain? Does it come at you from under the shield?

I mounted the plate to my bike and as rwthomas1 said, it took a considerable amount of bending to get it to mount up and as I got the sides in place, the center bowed up making it difficult to get the bottom bolt in. I took everything off when the brackets and shield wouldn't line up.

I had an e-mail from MADSTAD today which included the following ...

" I don't want you to think I forgot you and want to update you on what we're doing.

I had our guys make up an adapter plate, brackets, and windshield for the ST1100.

This afternoon, we are going to mock install them together to check the fit.

The bracket hole pattern in the adapter plate was from wrong software - fixed.

The shape of the adapter plate - we have to monitor. The split roller has a issue that will

take time to resolve but we'll make sure they're correct before they leave here.

Once the shield is ready, we can check the windshield hole pattern to be sure the right

software is being used.

I will let you know the results on Monday (7/19).

Thank you for your patience. Dan

Best Regards,"

So they are working on it and I'm comfortable that they will get things resolved...

OP
OP
Pop-Pop

Pop-Pop

Site Supporter
Bike
1996 ST 1100
STOC #
I mounted the plate to my bike and as rwthomas1 said, it took a considerable amount of bending to get it to mount up and as I got the sides in place, the center bowed up making it difficult to get the bottom bolt in. I took everything off when the brackets and shield wouldn't line up.

" I don't want you to think I forgot you and want to update you on what we're doing.

I had our guys make up an adapter plate, brackets, and windshield for the ST1100.

The shape of the adapter plate - we have to monitor. The split roller has a issue that will

take time to resolve but we'll make sure they're correct before they leave here.

Once the shield is ready, we can check the windshield hole pattern to be sure the right

software is being used.

Best Regards,"

So they are working on it and I'm comfortable that they will get things resolved...
Exactly what he sid when I called him this morning.

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
Nice to know there are still some businesses that will actually DO something in order to provide customer service.
For many, it's just a meaningless catch-phrase.

JJames

Site Supporter
Bike
2000 ST 1100 ABS II
Not the Madstad but the MRA Vario. It works very well.
You can run it as a shorty and the top is variable too.
Comes in clear or smoke.
At 6'4" I look over the top of it and any buffeting is minimal.
Upt'North.
IMG_20210625_080307.jpg
If the Madstad dosen't work out , I'll give a big thumbs Up for this one. Does the job in the cold , and when it's warm - 4 thumb screws and Lip is off . Looks pretty good too.

G0032117.JPGBilde 21.06.2021 klokken 23.19.jpeg

rwthomas1

Site Supporter
Bike
'01 ST1100 non-ABS
I cannot wrap my head around riding a motorcycle with snowbanks on either side of the road. Nor can I understand how they got the road so perfectly snow and ice free, yet with FEET of snow on either side. But I guess people from the land of ice and snow have that figured out....

RT

rwthomas1

Site Supporter
Bike
'01 ST1100 non-ABS

software is being used.

Best Regards,"

I got the same email. Hopeful this resolves it.

RT

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
I got used to seeing that when we lived in Germany, years ago, but was reminded what a paradigm shift it is when I rode up Going To The Sun Road.
About this time of year.

JJames

Site Supporter
Bike
2000 ST 1100 ABS II
Yea it's a winter closed road on a nice day- there is a lot snow up there and no one lives on the top. So they plow it in the end of april when the temp is nice . There are always one or two snow avalanches that go over that road after it opens.
With lip or extension on the screen it is pretty quiet and with heat from the ST , not a bad place to be. Right away, when i took it off ,I couldn't hear the engine or what gear I was in. But it's an ST - so it dosent really matter

Top Bottom