Mark Kunath's passing aka Bigmak96 2021-08-07

sirepair

Let's RIDE!
Site Supporter
Bike
2003 ST1100P
STOC #
Found some pictures in my OH-STOC 2012 files. Mark had tire issues on his way and IIRC had to buy a "Harley" tire for his ST at a dealer in Athens, OH and missed riding with us on Friday. And I believe he and Tip had some snafu on their way home.DSC_0012-X2.jpgDSC_0118-X3-cropped.jpgDSC_0132-X3-cropped.jpgIMG_7929 (Medium).JPG

okckeith

Site Supporter
Bike
2017 Triumph Trophy
One of my favorite riders to be around. RIP, my friend.

Greg
So sad to hear about Mark. Always looked forward to seeing him.
The very first time I met Mark and JimSTer was at ArkanSTOC the last year it was at Eureka Springs, Arkansas.
I still laugh to this day remembering the little Asian woman running Mark and JimSTer off the property. YOU NO STA HERE!!!
I will definitely miss my friend! Thoughts and prayers to the family.

Bike
07 FJR1300
STOC #
I'm very sorry to hear this sad news of your father Nick. Mark was a great friend we rode together few times very nice person to called friend. I met you once at Delta Dinner one of his camping trip at Washburn, Wisconsin
. My sympathy go out to you and the family. May he Rest In Peace!

STraymond

Site Supporter
Bike
'01 ST1100
STOC #
Nick, very sorry for your loss. Mark was a great guy. I remember how he would toss his ST1100 around like it was a dirt bike.

If you could publish information about any final arrangements, I'm sure that there are members here that would like to say goodbye to your Dad.

Last edited:

Ashley

Site Supporter
Bike
2020 Africa Twin
STOC #
Nick, so sorry for your loss. I first me Mark at an ST event in West Virginia. I was following he and another member around and I managed to run off the side of a mountain trying to keep up when I no business trying that hard. I remember that smiley face on the back of his helmet laughing at me. Our paths crossed a few times over the years and I always enjoyed his company. He will not be forgotten.

ardykay54

Russ "NeonMan" Knock
Bike
22 Kaw Z900rs 50 ann
2024 Miles
STOC #
So sorry to read this....Mark was someone I always looked up to(Literally) I tell stories about me getting lost all the time....I think Mark got tired of hearing them and gave me one of his old gps units!...One trip up to the Delta Diner he and I camped at Washburn....We were the only two there and somehow I tipped my bike over and hurt my leg...Mark helped get it back up even though he was having back problems himself....I will always respect him as a friend and fellow rider and he will be missed!....Russ.

JimSTer

Motorcycle "rider"!!
Bike
15 Yamaha FJ-09
STOC #
So sorry, Nick to hear about your loss. Or our loss, nearly as much.

Keiths story about our encounter with the little Asian lady at the motel still makes me laugh every time I think about it. Mark could imitate her voice so well I can still hear it and it still makes me laugh every time that day comes to mind.

We rode together many times and I always respected his riding ability. We both had St1100's and exchanged a lot of ideas. He was always so much fun to be around.
And we rode several Moonshine runs together.

And at one of the NatSTOC's I really think he may have killed me if wasn't able to outrun him.
I had convinced the Dan's nephew or grandson to hit the plate full of whipped cream so that it would splatter in Mark's face.

And while at one of the MinSTOC events I crawled out of my tent one morning and Mark was under the shelter with a few other guys. I noticed a Kermitt camp chair setting on the picnic table. And if finally dawned on me that this was mine. And it looked rather sad. Mark said, "I'm so sorry, but I fell on your camp chair last night". And looking a little closer I could see that it was broken in a few places. And Mark offered to trade the broken parts from his chair or he would buy new parts to repair the chair.
I just laughed and said "I'm just so glad I wasn't setting in it when you fell on it."
I know Mark was feeling pretty guilty about it. But he and I repaired it with parts from his Kermitt as good as new in just a few minutes.
I haven't seen Mark for a few years and have been missing him. But I'm so thankful that I have lots of great memories .

Ride on Big Mac and I hope and pray to see you later.

JimSTer

Last edited:

treemuncher

Vegetation Terrorist
Bike
'07 ST1300A
STOC #
We had a lot of laughs with Mark over the years we rode together. I was fortunate to see him at a number of events. It was always good to see him and share a few drinks around the fire. I doubt any of the stories beat the Ozark adventures with him. I know I have more good pics if I can find them.

P5178506alt.jpg

P5178481alt.jpg

I hope these 3 guys are riding together, again. So many great people have met through this little website. I never had a clue in life that I could ever find so many friends.P6291055.JPG

carpdm

Site Supporter
STOC #
So very sorry to hear of your Dad’s passing. Met him at a tech event. He was helping a fellow rider install lights on his bike. RIP

Bike
18 Gold Wing
STOC #
So sorry to hear this! I met Mark at several of the ST events over the years. Always sporting a big smile and lots of fun to hang out around the campfire with. My condolences to you and your family. RIP Mark.

Bike
'12 GL1800
STOC #
Nick, I had the pleasure of attending several STOC events that Mark also attended. As the previous posts have stated, Mark was a big guy, with a big heart, and an infectious smile. His passing will leave a void in the hearts of many. Prayers for you and your family.

John

The Dan

The Dude Abides
Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
2009 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
So sorry, Nick to hear about your loss.

Mark was the first ST Owner I met when I bought my 1100 in 09. I saw on the site that the ST-Owners National Convention was in Spearfish 10 days after I bought my bike and the post said if you didn't know where the camp ground was just follow any ST and there bound to get you there. Lori and I were new to the ST and knew nothing about the farkles everyone wrote about so we decided to ride the 400 miles to go see. There in front of us was a ST 1100 with a giant on it and a giant yellow smiley face sticker the size of his helmet on the back looking at us so we followed him in. We had never herd of ATGATT so were no helmets or gear and red as beets as we pulled up and parked at the campground behind him. As he got off he saw us and came over and said " well it's obvious your new here" and laughed his big laugh and then introduced us to RedST05 (Guy) and we sat and talked bikes and gear at the pick nick table for a long while. I became good friends with both Mark and Guy and have ridden many a mile with them seeing how we all lived with in 200 miles of each other. I have a lot of pictures but i'm in Montana and there home on the computer Here are a few on the laptop.
04-07-11_1648.jpg

When he dislocated his shoulder on the way to Moonshine but drove down anyway.

Darth Vader 96.jpg

I made this when we were working on the Darkside setup for the 1100.

Darth Vader 96.jpg04-07-11_1648.jpg
IMG_0503.jpgMark++.jpgmoonshine2.jpg

IMG_0507.jpg

Goodbye my friend....

VFR

"Uncle Larry"
Nick, I'm so sorry to hear of Mark's passing. I was hoping he would pull through. Met him at Moonshine, NatSTOC a couple of times. What a great guy, fun to be around.

Be assured, he is till riding, just not here....

Bike
Suzuki Gladius
Nick, I am beyond saddened by this news. I live in Montreal, which is a helluva long way from any of the events Mark would have attended (even when I was a) still riding and b) more than willing to ride silly distances to meet up with cherished friends), so I never had the pleasure and privilege of meeting your dad in person. However, I did interact with him via posts on ST-Owners over a number of years and his huge heart and love for others came through loud and clear, every time. He was a good soul, a "gentle giant," in every sense of the word, and he brought joy to others.

You, your family and all of Mark's many friends and loved ones have my deepest condolences. I would hug the stuffing out of each and every one of you, if I could.
Rest in peace, Bigmak96, I can't believe you're gone. :( You will not be forgotten. xx

Patty

Last edited:
Nick,

Like JimSTer said, sorry for your loss and ours. Met Mark at my first Moonshine and he helped me out with with a problem I was having with an aux fuel tank leaking. He had the tools and "HANDS" to get the rear shocks to stiffen up. Just last Sunday was cleaning up some shelves in the garage and came across a box of nichrome wire he sent me to put in a DIY heated vest postmarked Jan 5 2012, and thought about him and what he was doing these days.

The episodes Bug (who I am glad to see did not really fall off the earth) mentioned at the different Stoc events I did witness and he did not exaggerate at all, truly good times and he helped make them that way. When he stepped of that 1100 and tossed it like a toy I thought , glad he is on my side. He swung by the house to carry a spare seat I gave him back up north as He had trashed the one on the bike when he went dirt biking down that ditch. I will be saddened with the knowing he is not among us any more for he truly did have a pleasantly contagious personality about him and it was good to be around him. He will be missed.

Scooter

This space for rent...
Bike
2019 BMW R1250RT
STOC #
I was just thinking about Mark yesterday morning and wondering how his surgery went and was deeply saddened when I logged into the site to see the bad news. My heartfelt condolences go out to you Nick and Mark's sister. I'm sure he left a huge void in your hearts.

I was very fortunate to have had to pleasure to see him many times at various ST events that we both attended. A kind and helpful man. I hope you are at peace Mark...

Yooper 2010 Bug & BigMac.jpg

Here's Bug, Bob Ogg and Mark getting reading to head inside for breakfast in downtown Gwinn, MI. 2010 YooperSTOC. As I recall, Bug took a shine to the biscuits and gravy... ;)

Yooper 2009 Porcupine Mountains.jpg

Here is a group of riders from YooperSTOC 2009 stopping to visit the Lake of the Clouds overlook at the Porcupine Mountains.

Nov 2010 Moonshine Terrys last event.jpg

I took this picture at the last Post Post Moonshine event that Terry hosted before he passed away less than a week later back in November 2010. Mark is chatting with another 1100 rider and if you look close you can find Terry and Curt in the photo. Godspeed to all three of you fellas...

Top Bottom