Mattress vs Thermarest?

basco

05 ST1300
STOC #
I read some posts on other sites about this but can't make up my mind. Hopefully doing serious moto-campin this year and wanted to see if what other mc'ers do. I tried last year with a cheap thermorest and don't see the advantages, I am basically sleeping on hard ground.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Wal-mart $20 air mattress is the way to go.

Sleeping on 6 inches of air beats sleeping on 1.2-2.5 inches of air/foam.

Plus, a twin air matress is wider and will pack smaller than a comperable thermarest.

Yes, you open up the possibility of a leak and sleeping on ground but that's only happened to me once and I just got another mattress so I'm out $40 instead of the $120+ for a thermarest.

Actually, I have a thermarest that I probably should sell, after this post, I doubt anyone would want it... LOL

If you can, try to find a very small air pump, K-mart used to sell them for $5. You can put a bmw plug on the end of it and plug it into your outlets, like I do.

The worst sleeping I've ever done camping was on a thermarest, the best was on the air mattress.

Important note: Don't get one bigger than you need, if you have a big tent and you get the 'full' size, if it's cold, the cold air will pull the heat from your body. with the Twin size, I've never felt like the mattress was pulling my bodyheat and I've used it in 30-40 degree weather. In fact my upcoming trip to Big Ben next week might touch on the mid 30's to mid 40's as a low, I'm not worried about a good night's sleep.

OP
OP

basco

05 ST1300
STOC #
I'd like to get a small compressor to pump up the tires. maybe double up and use it to pump the mattress.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I had one on order with casporttouring, I need to check on it, it was back ordered last time I called and I forgot about it.

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
Consider a Go-Kot instead of an air mattress. Sets up faster, very comfortable, leaking not an issue, will likely last much longer than an air mattress. Plus your fellow campers don't have to listen to the air pump whine while you fill your mattress.

Killtimer

Youth Challenged Member
Somewhere in the Majestic Rocky Mountains of Alber
STOC #
First off, I'm not a motorcycle camper, don't want to be. I have, however, done a lot of backpacking/mountaineering and I think the requirements are similar. That said, I don't think you can beat a Thermarest for comfort and versatility. A bonus is the addition of the chair kit. Great around the fire at night.
Just MNSHO

Steve

dannyk

SISU an inner spirit
Bike
05 ST1300
STOC #
I have a ozark trail pump that runs on battery/rechargeable with 110v. or runs on 12v power, bought it for ATV camping with the air mattress, don't remember if it was wally world or some other type store. I also have a nylon/rubberized air mattress that I like, don't really worry about it as it is tough, have had it for at least 20 years. I also have thermarest pads but find that I really don't sleep well on them, like the air mattress better.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles

jackpine savage

R.I.P. - 2006/07/24
Rest In Peace
IMHO thermarest is the way to go. I find the air mattresses fine until you need to move, then the 6 inches above the ground feels like a cliff that you are about to roll off. :eek: Time is another factor. With the TR you unpack it and just let it lay there for a while. It self expands almost all the way. Then when it's time to sleep you blow in one or two puffs of air and it's ready. In the morning, unscrew the cap and let the excess air out. When it's time to pack just fold it over in half and push the rest of the air out by rolling it up. With the TR I can comfortably roll around in my sleeping bag all night without feeling like I'm about to fall off.
David

alan

R.I.P - 3/20/2011
Rest In Peace
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
I have used both and I prefer the Thermarest. As David mentioned, the Thermarest still needs a bit of help to get fully inflated, you need to use some lung power to help it along.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
txcpl said:
Joe,
Since you don't use the Thermarest, I might take it off your hands if you want to sell it.

Pete
sure, I've got two. I'll PM you with the details when I get home. I think one is the shorter/narrower one more geared to back packing and the other is a longer thicker camprest? I'll get more info to you later today...

OP
OP

basco

05 ST1300
STOC #
Fireball18 said:
Ah yes, the comforts of motel camping. Hard to beat. Still like to tent camp, though. We use Coleman twin air matresses. No complaints. Wife hates the Thermarest type of matress. I've seen one that inflates up to 3" but it's pretty spendy at around $150.00. Might be about like the twin air matress, though.
Don't know how you can pack a 3" 'rest on a bike? The thick ones take up space.

Bike
Honda GL1800
STOC #
Having had back surgery twice I had to find what worked best. For 3 years now I have been using an Aero Comfort Camp Bed. http://sitincomfort.com/aercomcambag.html Look in the left hand collum for Aero Beds then schroll down till you see Comfort Camp Bed. This is a complete bed. Air mattress, sleeping bag, and comes with its own rechargable air pump. The mattress fills in less than 1 minute. Once the mattress is full it slides into and zips into its own pocket on the bottom of the bag. So what it really is is a bed. Fits perfect in my 2 man tent with room to spare. Its seems a little big when you recieve it. But with the purchase of a compression sack it downsized nice for packing on the bike.
One really nice feature is the air release door. Deflates in about 5 seconds when you pop the door.

Last edited:

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
This wouldn't be Keith's bike would it? :04biker:

That's wild, always wondered whos bike it was...

Attachments

Top Bottom