Michelin and the PR Hum

Interesting. The one thing I don't like with the current PR's is the soft walls (well at least to me they seem soft). The front is bouncing more than with the BT's I use to have on, and doing a full lock U-turn can become an interesting experience. The front end seems wobbly and soft when you put lateral forces on the tire (as you would doing a sharp U-turn). Maybe it's just me, but I could feel a distinct difference from the BT's. They seem to last as long as the BT's though. I currently got 12K on the PR's. Flatspots? Yes. Still usable? Yes.

He could just tell the customer that the noise is the cost for better wet traction and that would make most happy and be honest at the same time.

I think you're right, he could. All it would require is that he know something about motorcycle tires. Given the kind of non-specific response I've received, it's hard to believe the Michelin customer relations staff has experience with motorcycles.

Interesting. The one thing I don't like with the current PR's is the soft walls (well at least to me they seem soft). The front is bouncing more than with the BT's I use to have on, and doing a full lock U-turn can become an interesting experience. The front end seems wobbly and soft when you put lateral forces on the tire (as you would doing a sharp U-turn). Maybe it's just me, but I could feel a distinct difference from the BT's. They seem to last as long as the BT's though. I currently got 12K on the PR's. Flatspots? Yes. Still usable? Yes.

The reason for the softer sidewall is the fact the PR's are not rated for the ST1300. They are missing a ply in the tread and the sidewall. They sure are easy to mount and dismount. :rolleyes:

Why does the 'wet weather grip' keep coming up? I have never had oem Bridgestones lose grip, wet or dry.

My last motorcycle tire experience with Michelin was when they had called back a particular model tire. They actually paid for new replacement tires of my choice and paid for a dealer to install. A very positive experience. Too bad things have changed within the company.

Ray
smile04Bikerwheelie.gif

Why does the 'wet weather grip' keep coming up? I have never had oem Bridgestones lose grip, wet or dry.

Ray, it would be great if Michelin was as willing to share information and opinions as freely at you are.

I think the issue keeps coming up because PRs rock in the rain. Lots of ST riders are with me on this.
YMMV....whatever works for you, bro. :headbang:

The reason for the softer sidewall is the fact the PR's are not rated for the ST1300. They are missing a ply in the tread and the sidewall. They sure are easy to mount and dismount. :rolleyes:

My last motorcycle tire experience with Michelin was when they had called back a particular model tire. They actually paid for new replacement tires of my choice and paid for a dealer to install. A very positive experience. Too bad things have changed within the company.

Ray
smile04Bikerwheelie.gif

You sound like a dang broken record Ray...

Please explain again what exactly "rated for the ST1300" means? Does this mean that Honda only approves certain tires to be sold and mounted by dealers for liability reasons, or the DOT or EU only allows certain tires on the ST1300, or that Honda will only warranty the bike with certain tires? Or that the tire nazi will come get you if you run a 72W load rated tire on the back instead of the OEM 73W Bridgestone? Does it mean the tire manufacturer has built a tire with a particular bike in mind and supplied the bike manufacturer with OE tires but the owner is then free to buy better tires at his discretion?

Just what does it 'rated' mean anyway? Does the tire size and load rating in the Honda ST1300 service manual matter and if it states load rating 72W will it matter if the tire fitted has 3 plies or 4 as long as it carries 72W on the sidewall? Does the ply material and schedule matter for DOT load ratings or is this a factor independent of construction and based on demonstrated ability in DOT testing?

Do riders confuse tire manufacturer approved fitments for something else like 'rated for the ST1300'?

Wet weather grip keeps coming up because some riders think the 020 isn't as good in the wet (or dry) as other some tires that can be fitted on the ST1300 based on their experience with different tires on the bike.

Sorry guys, I don't get it. Love the PR's, no earplugs, no hum. But then again I live in the desert and have never had a heat issue either...go figure!:confused:

Bob

Sorry if I sound like a broken record just because I found the handling of the PR to be substandard and won't sacrifice handling for longevity. It just seems like the wet weather grip I keep seeing is an excuse as a justification is why I asked since the Bridgestones have never had an issue in the rain.
I can see a major difference when fitting a non-ST1300 rated tire vs. one that is rated for it. For example, a BT020 U version vs. F version. That alone speaks volumes. If that's not enough, others have posted feeling the difference in the sidewalls. The way I look at it is, we only have the rubber on the wheels between us and the road. If one is willing to compromise the integrity of something so important, that's their choice. Not one I'm willing to make. Whatever works for you.

Ray
smile04Bikerwheelie.gif

Sorry if I sound like a broken record just because I found the handling of the PR to be substandard and won't sacrifice handling for longevity. It just seems like the wet weather grip I keep seeing is an excuse as a justification is why I asked since the Bridgestones have never had an issue in the rain.
I can see a major difference when fitting a non-ST1300 rated tire vs. one that is rated for it. For example, a BT020 U version vs. F version. That alone speaks volumes. If that's not enough, others have posted feeling the difference in the sidewalls. The way I look at it is, we only have the rubber on the wheels between us and the road. If one is willing to compromise the integrity of something so important, that's their choice. Not one I'm willing to make. Whatever works for you.

Ray
smile04Bikerwheelie.gif

Cut to the chase. What does "rated for the ST1300" mean and what tires fit the criteria - if any? You often use this term in tire discussions by saying the ____is not rated for the ST1300 so it has to have some meaning to you that is easily communicated to others. Please elaborate beyond the "speaks volumes" and "feeling the difference" phraselogy. The DOT and EU do not have rigid criteria for these terms.

Honda lists the tire sizes and load ratings in the service manual very clearly but leaves out the "speaks volumes" and "feeling the difference" descriptions.

I can understand your affinty for the BS 020F's construction but in this light you sound like John Madden telling those of us that climb on a plane we are all going to die in a airplane crash and a bus is the only way to safely travel. In the small community of ST1300 owners there does not seem to be any history of accident by rear tire failure with any brand - re the recent thread by those that have had a rear tire go down underway.
[/I]

Back
Top Bottom