Whisker Bill

(Brian)
Site Supporter
STokes Bay, Ontario & migrating to Florida
Bike
2007 ST1300
I’m venting!
I made a deal on Michelin Road 5 GT’s
I even made sure the rims were marked for rotation before I dropped them off.
I was really happy yesterday!
The shop was able to get the new tires in and mount & balance them (complete with new 90 degree valve stems)

I had one of my friends that lives close to the bike shop pick up the my wheels, he dropped them off at another friends place & he brought them up to me. (about a 3 hour drive) I had coffee with them this morning and brought the wheels home to install, only to find the back tire was mounted backwards!
It’s a long weekend here, so I’m grounded until next week :(
I circled the arrow for the picture and whited the rotation for clarity so I could post it.
I’m now thinking I should have done it sooner, I found it why couldn’t they?
Whisker Bill

528715CF-4D96-4C7A-8EA8-B30AFC54ACB7.jpeg

38602C2F-D64F-42C3-A438-6CA93232F25E.jpeg

EEEE5119-A5F1-456E-AF32-3616BCF35A2B.jpeg

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
That's infuriating, isn't it?
I'm sure the dealer didn't do it for free.
Nice tires, though - I love the way my ST 1300 rides on them!
And I'm sure you have seen the recent post by @Igofar about manufacturers quality control.
Apparently this service department needed to remind you that they, too, can mess up.
*sigh*
You'll like 'em, I'm sure, once they are correctly installed.

Bike
2014 ST1300
That is pure frustration. I can't really say much though, I put the rear tires on the truck for winter this year and did it backwards. Didn't even notice till the helpful guy loading the snowblower I bought this year pointed it out. Told me whoever did it was a dummy. I felt I had no other option to agree without identifying who it was, i.e. the moral compromise.

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
Sad to say but, it is not only the dealers fault, but your friends. They should have checked before leaving the shop.
Maybe so. (I would have checked before leaving.)
Then again, this is not like going through a fast-food drive through and finding they left the pickles off your chicken sandwich...

OP
OP
Whisker Bill

Whisker Bill

(Brian)
Site Supporter
Bike
2007 ST1300
It’s the Canadian long weekend of huge smiles coming out of the twisties that I won’t get back!
I’m glad I didn’t set up the trip that I had intended to do!
I think the tires should be well worth the wait!
WB

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Ride long enough it happens. Still blows. I had a tire replaced on the road 175 miles from home and didn't notice the backwards tire until the following weekend.

Found in the oldest service manual ever written: "But when they heard it, they went away one by one, beginning with the older ones"

Sidekick

Save Ukraine Stop War!
Bike
ST1300A '05
STOC #
Keep venting, you are right there!
Beside the obvious liability, how can anybody mounting motorcycle tires as "professionals" could miss the rotation arrow and not double-checking it?
Replacing tires is not only about the expense, but more about the pain of seeing the new scratch and rips on the rim every time.
I have only 3 mounting shops on 60 miles radius around my location, and they don't mount enough tires to have trained and efficient people for the job.
The next step is to DIY, maybe the only reasonable way to go.

Bike
2010 ST1300
Sorry you had this screwup. It's beyond frustrating.
There have been other threads describing this EXACT scenario - shop mounts the tires backwards. About a month ago, when I had my new Shinko 705's mounted on my VStrom, I took white electrical tape and put it on the wheel in two places 180º apart. Then I took a black Sharpie and drew an arrow pointing the direction of rotation. I also took the tire and did the same, with an additional piece of white tape pointing to the red circle. When the tire is mounted properly, all 4 white labels with arrows will line up.

The owner of the shop (looks to me to be a two man shop) laughed when he saw that, and said, "Thanks, I don't even have to think now."

If @Igofar can brag about his OCD shop, I can brag I'm anal.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
I'd be concerned that they have yet another chance to damage the bead removing it, then re-mounting it a second time :censored:

OP
OP
Whisker Bill

Whisker Bill

(Brian)
Site Supporter
Bike
2007 ST1300
I'd be concerned that they have yet another chance to damage the bead removing it, then re-mounting it a second time :censored:
Larry
I agree, but I also think it should go back to them, so they know what happened and they have a chance to make it right!
If there was another closer shop that I could have used, I would have! There actually was one shop a half hour away, but he is trying to retire and get out of the business!
Thats one of the issues when you chose to live in an area such as this!
It’s lovely rugged country, but it is 3 hours from civilization as we know it!
Thanks everyone for taking the time to respond!
I appreciate it!

Top Bottom