Jackets Milwaukee M12 Jacket

I had started a thread that got lost in the data transfer yesterday concerning this jacket, asking if others had any experience with it.

https://www.milwaukeetool.com/Products/Work-Gear/Heated-Gear

I found what I think was a good deal on eBay, $118 for the kit (includes battery, adapter, and charger). I already own 3 tools in the M12 lineup, a 3/8" ratchet, a rotary (Dremel type) tool, and a soldering iron. I also now have 4 batteries, and an extra charger. I am very happy with the performance and value of these 3 tools, and expect the jacket to be a quality product, and meet my expectations. I plan to get the compact cordless tire inflator next.

I didn't buy the jacket specifically for riding, but it was a consideration. It says up to 8 hours battery life, even if it's half that it is more than acceptable.

The good news is it arrived yesterday. So now I suppose once the cold weather arrives you con look for my review. I didn't try it yet, but I believe I can remove the liner from my Tourmaster 3/4 coat and use this to replace the liner. If that works out well I will feel like a genius.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Sorry that got caught up in the site-upgrade-armageddon

OP
OP
Daniel
no need for an apology, that was not in any way a complaint. I appreciate all the hard work, I know it can be frustrating !!

OP
OP
Daniel
Finally had the combination of a cool day, with an opportunity to take a ride. Temp was 51, and very windy. I wore the M12 , with only a long sleeve t-shirt under it. I bought a XL, which is what I generally wear. It is slightly on the big side, but I would normally be wearing a sweatshirt under, which would make it just about right, A sweatshirt would have also filled in the space, which would have made it perform even better. As it was, it worked very well. The material blocks wind very well, and the heating elements did what they are designed to. I was out for about an hour, but could have ridden comfortably all day. With the longer sleeves, and the collar which can be zipped all the way up, this thing almost seems like it was designed for riding. I believe if I added a sweatshirt under the jacket, I would have stayed comfortable to approximately 40*.

I removed the liner from my TourMaster Saber 3/4, and tried the Milwaukee underneath to replace the liner. It worked, and would be an effective combo in extreme temps, but it wasn't exactly comfortable, and I don't see myself riding in temps around, or below freezing. I would order the Milwaukee M12 vest to use under my TourMaster with the liner still in place.

The one concern I did have was I wore the coat approx 90 minutes or so, and according to the fuel gauge I used about half the battery. However, it is an aftermarket battery, that was last charged several weeks ago, but read full when I plugged it into the jacket. Milwaukee claims 6 - 8 hours I believe, I may not have even gotten half of that.

This may not be the best choice if purchased alone, but if you already have some of the (80+) tools in the Milwaukee M12 line, this, or the vest might be a great way to stay warm this winter. I already have 4 batteries, 4 other tools in the line (I did get the tire inflator, another quality piece!) so this is a no-brainer for me. I work both inside and out so I plan to get some use out of this jacket, as well as using it on the ST.

Bike
2004 ST1300
I have a Milwaukee 12v jacket (camo 1st generation, I believe), no "gauge" or charging ports. I use it under a heavier coat deer hunting when I'm on the stand. It's MN, so it can be very cold sometimes already the first few weeks of November. Using the small size Milwaukee 12v battery I can get 3-4 hrs tops on low and it drops by about half each increment (low, med, hi) so maybe only an hour or less on hi, which I never use/need. 2+ hrs is all I need at one time as I wait an hour before turning any heat on. The larger size 12v batteries will last a lot longer but are a lot bulkier. I now have about four of the small size batteries, so I'm set for the morning and evening sitting.

Bike
2010 ST1300
I've not been happy with the life of Milwaukee's batteries. Now I'm no stranger to M's tools - been using them for 40 years. Was an early user of their battery powered tools, and had a number of failures just after the warranty expired. I don't know if they reinvented the battery or labeled someone else's, but I've generally been happy with Makita and Panasonic batt op tools. Not so with Milwaukee. In fact, they always seem to fall short when they design tools - from making very stupid mistakes in the design to short changing customers on the case for the tool. I've stuck with them for years because they have a service center that provides excellent repair service nearby. And any tool is only as good as the service you get when you need a repair or parts.

Sounds to me like their advertising once again is louder than the actual performance.

Bike
2004 ST1300
The standard batteries are very small and I find it sort of surprising that they provide heat as long as they do. They recharge very quickly also. I like the small size battery for lack of weight and bulk. I have yet to replace any of the four M12 batteries I have, unlike most of the Ryobi batteries I've had.

Top Bottom