Motor oil

Bike
2000 ST1100
I suggest to anyone who wants to know about a particular oil to get a VOA done rather than ask for opinions. It is obvious from the Mobil 1 10W40 Auto oil VOA that it will not cause clutch problems but the lower zinc levels could cause more wear or shorter oil life. Of the Motul, Valvoline and Mobil oils listed the Mobil 4T is clearly the best for motorcycle engines.
Only fly in the ointment is what about vehicles that have achieved hundreds of thousands of miles on oil that according to some meet the basic specifications. Even though the oil analysis say this oil is better than that oil....if they both will protect your engine to make to a couple hundred thousand miles what's the point. As far as which flavor of Rotella well if you believe in it keep using it. If it screws your machine up well....now you know. As for me I'm still using my old fashioned formula Honda GN4 non synthetic oil that has provided 80K miles of great service in my motorcycle and my semi synthectic oil in my 229K Toyota Corolla. Better oil choices out there sure but as I said a oil that meets the specs will protect your vehicle to get a couple hundred thousand miles as that has been my experience so i'm thinking lets not think it to deep and do more riding this summer.

Bike
07 ST1300 ABS
Only fly in the ointment is what about vehicles that have achieved hundreds of thousands of miles on oil that according to some meet the basic specifications. Even though the oil analysis say this oil is better than that oil....if they both will protect your engine to make to a couple hundred thousand miles what's the point. As far as which flavor of Rotella well if you believe in it keep using it. If it screws your machine up well....now you know. As for me I'm still using my old fashioned formula Honda GN4 non synthetic oil that has provided 80K miles of great service in my motorcycle and my semi synthectic oil in my 229K Toyota Corolla. Better oil choices out there sure but as I said a oil that meets the specs will protect your vehicle to get a couple hundred thousand miles as that has been my experience so i'm thinking lets not think it to deep and do more riding this summer.
I agree.

Bike
'06 ST1300A
Considering this,,, instead of a fresh pail of t4. Works out to about $7.cdn per Liter. But I would have to have it shipped to my US address (for free),,, instead of my Canadian home address ($453. shipping). Ebay shipping calculators are rubbish,,,, CAt'

When they’ve submitted, passed and received JASO MA certification, then maybe… ;)

Bike
'06 ST1300A
Does it not claim that rating ?? What worries me, is that Shell took their name off it. Or, that U1dynamics configured their product to ressemble Shells Ultra brand. CAt'

s-l500.jpg
Certainly enough to keep the user guessing about what’s really in the bottle, so to speak.
From my cursory look see, only claims of meeting requirements but no “certification “.
Not on JASO certification list either.
Buyer beware…

Bike
Moto Guzzi V7 850 Sp
Considering this,,, instead of a fresh pail of t4. Works out to about $7.cdn per Liter. But I would have to have it shipped to my US address (for free),,, instead of my Canadian home address ($453. shipping). Ebay shipping calculators are rubbish,,,, CAt'

I've been considering this but find myself leaning towards Mobil 1 4t Racing 10w-40. If I'd heard back from UltraOne I'd probably remained in their camp but so far just crickets.

Bike
'06 ST1300A
I've been considering this but find myself leaning towards Mobil 1 4t Racing 10w-40. If I'd heard back from UltraOne I'd probably remained in their camp but so far just crickets.
I’ve reached out as well and IF they answer, I will share with the forum. Cue the Jeopardy tune…

Bike
07 ST1300 ABS
I am currently using Motul but after looking at the VOAs I will be going back to Mobil 1 4T.

Bike
07 ST1300 ABS
I was using this before the change to Motul. It is almost a 15w40. Its only $25 for 5 quarts and the numbers are good. My bike liked it, quiet engine with nice clutch and shifting. Mobil 1 Advanced Full Synthetic Motor Oil 15W-50, 5 Quart2E3D18DB-69FF-4FB0-9489-BDEC9F947C7F.jpeg86C5ADE4-0858-4635-9EB2-A9B9BACCAA76.jpeg261B7284-A3F0-4765-BABE-703ED3A5A6E9.jpeg

ReSTored

Site Supporter
Bike
2019 Tracer GT
STOC #
I've decided to go Motul 5100 for the time being as my pail of T4 is done. Never used a motorcycle specific oil, so curious to see how it performs and how the Tracer is shifting as I approach the next oil change interval.

Somewhat academic as there are lots of bike specific oils available, but T6, as well as many of the other brands referenced, are out of stock or unavailable around here anyway.

STOC #
I've decided to go Motul 5100 for the time being as my pail of T4 is done. Never used a motorcycle specific oil, so curious to see how it performs and how the Tracer is shifting as I approach the next oil change interval.

Somewhat academic as there are lots of bike specific oils available, but T6, as well as many of the other brands referenced, are out of stock or unavailable around here anyway.
I used the motul 5100 and it was good. Swm

I used the 5100 and it is good. Switched to the 7100 10w40 as MY bike seems to run and shift even better with it but that’s just me.

Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #

Our choices around here are limited...... nothing wrong with 5100 IMHO. Next bike show we'll stock up unless I find stuff across the border this year (going soon). Who is your source for 5100 and approx. $$?

STOC #
Our choices around here are limited...... nothing wrong with 5100 IMHO. Next bike show we'll stock up unless I find stuff across the border this year (going soon). Who is your source for 5100 and approx. $$?
Didn’t realize 7100 about $95 +TX now. If you want to pick it up champion cycle on Weston rd seems the cheapest for both 5100 & 7100 around here, but a PITA to get to

ReSTored

Site Supporter
Bike
2019 Tracer GT
STOC #
GP Bikes had a no HST sale, 4l jug for $68 all in. Bought 2 jugs so I'm OK for the season. $65 all in for 7100 is a great deal.

I'm looking forward to travelling south of the border and next time I go I'll be stocking up on a lot of things, not just oil.

If you're going across the border soon pick me up a 45 gallon drum of 5100, that should tide me over for a while. :cool:

Bike
2009 ST1300
In 87 I bought a 77 Impala 350 / turbo 200 with 100,000 miles (right at the time of miles / kilometres changeover in Canada) from a lady whose brother was a used car salesman that persuaded her to only use Mobil 1 from day one.
This four door brown with tan interior (still makes the hair on the back of my neck… anyway…) Impala was a means to an end, just an interim for reasons .. anyway,
At the time, I hadn’t driven anything with power for almost ten years nor did I care, it was cheap, big, safe for a horrible driver and a car seat.
The car was like a used taxi but the engine was like brand new, it had 100,000 miles on it which on any carburated engine shows, at least a bit.
It was a 4 barrel rochester but there werent a lot of cars making even 200 hp then.
Long story short, the achiles heel of course was the T200, I kept the car around and sold the engine the moment it started, I still remember the guy’s eyes lighting up.

Bike
2009 ST1300
Oh, and it power! Real power!
Not geared down cammed down one tire chirping / spinning wonder - circa everything 1977 power (150… maybe…) but real power
I felt like Lotka! …. Except…
not such a loser

Top Bottom