Motorcycle Lift Table...Atlas vs. Handy

Bike
1200RT, 1200GS
STOC #
I am seriously considering buying a motorcycle lift table and want to buy a good quality table. I have narrowed it down to an Atlas table (Greg Smith Equipment...http://www.gregsmithequipment.com/Atlas-Cycle-Lift or a Handy Standard table (Model 10740...http://www.handyindustries.com/products/standard-1000-air-lift) from a local retail outlet that sells and services heavy duty landscaping equipment.

Both tables are rated at 1000 pounds and both are air operated.

The Atlas table (made in China) sells for $749 and includes the front wheel vise.

The Handy table (made in US) sells for $950 plus $150 for the front wheel vise. (So, about +$350 for the Handy)

Other considerations: Handy table has an optional dolly for moving the table around my somewhat crowded shop (Atlas does not offer this). Handy table is shorter drive to pick up (60 miles vs. 140 miles). I'd expect the resale value on the Handy to be higher. Warranty on Atlas is One year-Parts only...Handy is "limited lifetime". If I needed service, the retailer selling Handy would be my choice.

Any one have any experience with either of these tables? Is the Handy table worth the premium?

Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #
Just another consideration, with a little work, you could cut your concrete floor to recess the lift flush to floor. Make a little slope in the new concrete on the back end to run the lift in or get it out if you have to.

Bike
2018 NC750X
STOC #
Bob, I have a Titan lift... if you would like to take another look at it before you pull the trigger, your welcome to check it out.

The Dan

The Dude Abides
Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
2009 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
I'm the friend with the Handy and you can't go wrong with it if you want to spend the money. It has a small pin on wheels you roll up to it and slip in to move it with little to no effort. I got mine used after Bigmak called me about a shop going out of business.

Bike
2006 ST1300
The shop I was leasing had a Handy and the quality was very good. I was quite happy with it. I can't speak for the others because I haven't used them, but the Handy is a great lift.

I have used one of the HF lifts once. If someone is pressed for money they are well worth the $300 you can find them on sale for, but no comparison to the Handy if you expect to use it a lot.

One thing to keep in mind on the Handy, at least on the model I was using- its a somewhat long lift, which is good except when you want to remove a rear wheel. If the front wheel is in the clamp, the rear wheel of an ST will be too far forward to line up with the drop-down section at the rear of the lift. This could just be the model lift this particular one was, but keep that in mind when shopping the various models- if you will mainly be using it for one bike, get one sized for that bike so both wheels line up with the drop down sections.

OP
OP
bobframe
Bike
1200RT, 1200GS
STOC #
The shop I was leasing had a Handy and the quality was very good. I was quite happy with it. I can't speak for the others because I haven't used them, but the Handy is a great lift.

I have used one of the HF lifts once. If someone is pressed for money they are well worth the $300 you can find them on sale for, but no comparison to the Handy if you expect to use it a lot.

One thing to keep in mind on the Handy, at least on the model I was using- its a somewhat long lift, which is good except when you want to remove a rear wheel. If the front wheel is in the clamp, the rear wheel of an ST will be too far forward to line up with the drop-down section at the rear of the lift. This could just be the model lift this particular one was, but keep that in mind when shopping the various models- if you will mainly be using it for one bike, get one sized for that bike so both wheels line up with the drop down sections.
You raise a very good point...and something I really hadn't considered. The Atlas lift has a removable rear section so I'd assume that this feature would help with rear wheel removal. Best I can tell the Handy does not. EDIT: Handy does make a model with a rear drop out panel for another $ 170...gulp.

But what about the front wheel? I guess I'd have to jack the bike up (while on the lift) to remove the front wheel? Or would it be better to have a removable/drop down front section as well? Or do most folks just jack the bike up to remove wheels?

Last edited:
OP
OP
bobframe
Bike
1200RT, 1200GS
STOC #
Bob, I have a Titan lift... if you would like to take another look at it before you pull the trigger, your welcome to check it out.
Vinny, I remember your lift well...very nice piece of gear. If one like yours was available, I'd seriously consider it. I'm considering the Atlas/Handy lifts because they are available nearby. Thanks...

STOC #
I love my Handy. After 8 years I can say that there would be no way I could do without a dolly. I tend to move things around the garage quite a bit.

luoma

VE6 CKV
STOC #
I have one of the chinese lifts, Premium Bkie Lifts- PBL 1500, which looks like one of the ProCycle or Handy lifts and use it daily at work. To move it around you can just lift the deck to whatever height suits you, then pick up the end opposite the wheels and roll it like a wheelbarrow. I wondered about the quality before purchasing but after two years of daily use, its still good as new. You will want the side extensions though, so when you ride a bike up to the wheel chock, you have somewhere to put your feet down when you stop. I'm glad I saved the extra $$ over the Handy. They are imported with no name, so you can call them whatever you want, but are a copy of one of these other more $$ lifts. There was some hydraulic company I believe in the Mid-west USA, that was selling the same lift, but I can't remember their name.

Last edited:
OP
OP
bobframe
Bike
1200RT, 1200GS
STOC #
A number of folks have mentioned the "need" for the 8"-12" side extensions. While I understand why these are necessary for a lawnmower/four wheeler...their use on a motorcycle escapes me. Probably because I've never used a lift table before.

So, please help me understand why I need them on a table to be used only for a bike.

Thanks.

luoma

VE6 CKV
STOC #
A number of folks have mentioned the "need" for the 8"-12" side extensions. While I understand why these are necessary for a lawnmower/four wheeler...their use on a motorcycle escapes me. Probably because I've never used a lift table before.

So, please help me understand why I need them on a table to be used only for a bike.

Thanks.
Most lifts are about 24"- 28" wide without the side extensions. In my opinion, its alot safer having a wider deck to put your feet down onto after driving onto the lift, as well as stepping off your bike, keeping in mind that most lifts are still 6 or so inches above floor level when fully collapsed.

Last edited:

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
...their use on a motorcycle escapes me...
You'll need them as foothold/support while riding the bike up on the platform... unless you're a really long legged bloke and easily compensate the additional 4~5" of the folded bike lift underneath them wheels with your hoofs... :-D

Bigmak96

R.I.P. - 2021/08/07
Rest In Peace
Bike
04 GL1800 Past tense
STOC #
I kind of see Bob's point. I don't ride my bike up on my lift, I do it under power but standing beside it. I have driven onto a lift and did not like the point where your legs were off the ground. YEMV

Bike
1991 ST1100
STOC #
IMO, riding the bike onto the lift is asking for trouble. I just use muscle power and push mine onto the lift. If one can't push the bike onto a fully lowered lift, that bike is too big for them.

OP
OP
bobframe
Bike
1200RT, 1200GS
STOC #
I kind of see Bob's point. I don't ride my bike up on my lift, I do it under power but standing beside it. I have driven onto a lift and did not like the point where your legs were off the ground. YEMV
So do most people ride the bike onto the lift or push it on? Could I say "riders" want the extensions, but "pushers" don't??

Bike
2006 ST1300
You'll need them as foothold/support while riding the bike up on the platform... unless you're a really long legged bloke and easily compensate the additional 4~5" of the folded bike lift underneath them wheels with your hoofs... :-D
I could do this with mine on the Handy. I had side extensions for the lift but didn't need them for the ST.

Sent from my XT881 using Tapatalk 2

ChucksKLRST

Team Colorado
Bike
2019 Versys 1K SE LT
STOC #
I ride my bikes up on to my lift, using outrigger boxes to put my feet on. My feet are never out of reach of a solid surface. Of course I have a 31 inch inseam.

Bike
2018 GL1800 DCT Tour
Not really the answer to your question but used ones are on Craigslit here quite often. I think a lot of shops come and go.

Top Bottom