Motorcycle Tyre inflation

Bike
St1300 2004
Hi All

whats everyone opinion on flat tyre compressor to buy.

thinking of the Slime kit

can any one recommend anything different

thanks

chris

Hi Chris.
Check out RideOn, it gets good reports. I bought the small RAC compressor which works OK.
I used to live in North Staffordshire Chris.
Upt'North.

My cheapie Slime compressor never failed me (*), and did good service in top ups. On the one occasion where it had to take a fully deflated rear tire after I had plugged it, the pump took a while and I think I may have given it a moment's rest, but it was eventually job done.

* - I did ultimately have to replace the cigarette-lighter style plug, I forget just why. But that was a matter of a few minutes work with the soldering iron and heat gun.

My one beef with it was that it had no built-in pressure gauge, so it was always a guessing game as to when the tires were at the desired pressure. If I had it to do over I'd install the "T" style valve stems, so that I could keep the pump attached and going while checking progress on the other port of the stem in real time. Maybe next time.

Mine is a Slime Powerpsport (not the same one as the one in the link above). It comes with a long extension and connection devices. Like @ibike2havefun I have chopped off the provided connector and fitted on that plugs into my always on, fused connection for my battery tender. It requires cable, connector and fuse greater than 15 Amps.

Note that it warns in the manual and on a red label stuck to the back of the compressor not to run for more than 8 minutes continuously. (Later ones say 10 mins). Any more than that, stop and leave it to rest for 25 minutes. It took mine longer than 10 minutes to inflate a completely flat tyre. I wanted to know, so I tested it. It takes its time, but it works well enough.

I carry 3 compressed air canisters with me as well, which will part fill a tyre. Apparently this is what those little troughs under the carpet of the Hondaline top box are for !

I have a Slime Powersport too. I also carry CO2 cartridges to use first so that the small Slime doesn't have to work too hard.

Mine is a Slime Powerpsport (not the same one as the one in the link above). It comes with a long extension and connection devices. Like @ibike2havefun I have chopped off the provided connector and fitted on that plugs into my always on, fused connection for my battery tender. It requires cable, connector and fuse greater than 15 Amps.

Note that it warns in the manual and on a red label stuck to the back of the compressor not to run for more than 8 minutes continuously. (Later ones say 10 mins). Any more than that, stop and leave it to rest for 25 minutes. It took mine longer than 10 minutes to inflate a completely flat tyre. I wanted to know, so I tested it. It takes its time, but it works well enough.

I carry 3 compressed air canisters with me as well, which will part fill a tyre. Apparently this is what those little troughs under the carpet of the Hondaline top box are for !

Where did you get one from.

What I didn’t mention is that the one I linked to has it’s own lithium battery so there is no need to connect it to the bike’s electrical system. One morning I topped up the tires in two cars and my bike and the battery still showed a full charge.

Where did you get one from.

Oh - I don't know. I will have ordered it on line from a known motorcycle supplier. DemonTweeks, Infinity Motorcycles, MandP - probably one of those. But none of those seem to stock it now. I have just had a look. Amazon co uk shows it as discontinued - so its a case of hunting to see what else is available. Don't forget to check the packed dimensions if it is a 12v device to keep with you on the bike. Mine is about 17cm square and 7cm deep.

Halfords seem to stock the one in your original post. You could take a look.

This one from Ring is on Amazon. I don't know owt about it though - except it says it has adpators for a motorbike.

Last edited:
My ST buddy had a small Slime compressor and the second time he used it the pot metal connector for the valve stem disassembled. If I got any compressor with that type of connector I'd look to swap out the hose.

I have the Stop and Go kit that came with a pump. I have used it multiple times. It will inflate a completely flat tire in a few minutes. It has a useless pressure gauge.

Top Bottom