Motorhome takes out three bikes on CA SR243

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
My son and I where supposed to meet up with 9 other riders this morning for a nice little ride up to Idyllwild. Because of my miss-understanding of the meeting place, my son and I didn't find them and decided to go up through Banning, while they went up another direction.

While riding up from Banning to Idyllwild on CA SR243, we came upon a really bad motorhome vs motorcycles accident around 11:45 am. The accident was about 10 to 15 miles out of Banning.

The best we were able to figure/find out (and this is not offical by any means) is a motorhome going down the mountain (maybe lost it's brakes?), crossed the double yellow and plowed into the side of a hill as the motorcycles were coming up the opposite direction. By looks of the skid marks, the first sport bike tried to stop but hit the front of the motorhome and went under and came out on the other side, killing it's rider (my son saw him covered up with a blanket). The riders helmet was in front of the motorhome. I assume the other two bikes got damaged when tring to avoid the motorhome.

We are not sure of the condition of the other riders. By the time we came across it, there was already a backup heading down hill towards Banning. We somehow got through, but it was closed right after we got through for both directions until around 2:45pm.

The one bike that went under the motorhome was demolished while I didn't get a good look at the other two, but my son said they were banged up pretty well, but were up on their kickstands. We found out from the CHP site, one of those had to be towed out as well.

I'm sure the first rider didn't have a chance at avoiding the motorhome and it was just one of those things of being at the wrong place at the wrong time!

As always when we see or hear about these kind of accidents, becareful out there and keep a sharp eye out for the cages!

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
Failed brakes would be bad, failed brakes coming down that grade would be *really* bad, especially in a motorhome!

Prayers for all involved.
Mark

I dread going to the board, I dread answering my phone....this month has got to end.....enough already!
We're heading for CreSToc..it's still May.....we will be on the alert, and very careful.......
hope everyone else does the same wherever they are riding.

Carole

OP
OP
SupraSabre

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
The only thing I was able to find in the paper about it was an artical about three deaths over the weekend and here was all they said about this accident:

"A 23-year-old South Gate man was killed Monday morning on a winding portion of Highway 243 between Banning and Idyllwild
when his motorcycle collided with a recreational vehicle. He was later identified by the Riverside County coroner's
office as Humberto Medina."

All these crashes just suck!

OP
OP
SupraSabre

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
That sucks. That really isn't a road for a motorhome.

Man, that would be ugly to watch.
Believe me; it was ugly to see the aftermath. I was too busy watching where I was going (around cars and debris) so I didn't see (nor comprehend) a lot as I went by. My son on the other hand, saw quite a bit of it and told me about it later! I did see the motorcycle and there just wasn't too much left of it.

Top Bottom