Mouse damage

Bike
2005 Honda ST1300
I tried to start my 05 1300 after its winters nap. Turned over but didn’t start? Didn’t hear the whine of the fuel pump . Took the seat off and saw 2 wires chewed.. damn mice. I took the gas tank off and found a mouse nest in the fuel injection rails.. the little fucker chewed 2 connections to the fuel injectors… does anyone know if the wires can be bought ? 2 have been damaged .

Attachments

Bike
2009 ST1300
I've had real problems with mice and rats in vehicles, I think it's mainly the slightest bit of ethylene glycol spilled onto wire insulation rather than the composition, soy based or otherwise. Soft and chewy and coated with glycol. Like polyunsaturated, flavor is flavor. I removed the seats and tank and used a spray bottle of clear water with an air compressor in a couple of instances [after eliminating leaks] and seems to have worked.

bdalameda

PaleoCyclist
Bike
Africa Twin
I keep a spray bottle of peppermint oil mixed in water in my garage and every couple of weeks I spray around my garage door and vents as well as around my tires and sidestand to keep the mice away. Mice hate peppermint and so far no issues. I tried an experiment in my backyard using a mouse bait block. I put the mouse bait block where they are known to come in and out of my backyard, in one night the bait disappeared. After that I sprayed a circle of peppermint oil mix around a bait block and the block sat there for a week untouched.

Peppermint oil ,thanks for the tip, been using bouce dryer sheets,which seems to work. Most remember too take all of them out before using Vehicle. How much water to Peppermint oil?

bdalameda

PaleoCyclist
Bike
Africa Twin
Peppermint oil ,thanks for the tip, been using bouce dryer sheets,which seems to work. Most remember too take all of them out before using Vehicle. How much water to Peppermint oil?
Doesn't take much - probably 10-to 1 - You can also buy the spray premixed.

Mondo

Site Supporter
Bike
‘22 Moto Guzzi V85TT
I’ve posted it before. I live in an area with open areas galore. Miserable meeces everywhere. Have discovered the beginnings of mouse nests twice. Since placing pieces of Irish Spring soap under the seat, at the side stand, and on the tire rims just above where the tire meets the ground, no problems. Plus, the bike smells good.
Greg

Gus1300

Site Supporter
Bike
04 1300A
where there is 2 injector connectors eaten is it easier to wire those back together or can i plug and play the sub harness? thanks
The sub-harness is plug and play, comes with all the connectors installed; just pay attention to how the old one is routed as you remove it and install the new one the same way. Much easier, and less potentially troublesome, than trying to rewire the current damaged sub-harness. Better to spend your efforts and time mitigating future damage to the replacement sub-harness; many good suggestions here!

Bike
2017 ST 1300PA
I’ve posted it before. I live in an area with open areas galore. Miserable meeces everywhere. Have discovered the beginnings of mouse nests twice. Since placing pieces of Irish Spring soap under the seat, at the side stand, and on the tire rims just above where the tire meets the ground, no problems. Plus, the bike smells good.
Greg
But what about the Acrobatic little meeses who can fling themselves onto said STeed?
:eek:
rob

Gerhard

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 R1200RT
My bike is in a shed that is not mouse free. I use to poison and that kept them under control but I never knew the extent of the problem so I started trapping. It seems the problem is at its worst during the wet fall season, October and November I trap multiple mice a week and the rest of the year two or three a month.

Bike
VFR750F, ST1300
These critters take care of any mice problems…

IMG_0893.jpeg

Except they adopted a kangaroo rat as their pet! It was too cute to kill and eat! They bring it with them around house. I had to say No and tossed it in park couple miles away. :eek:

OP
OP
Isthismylastbike
Bike
2005 Honda ST1300
The sub-harness is plug and play, comes with all the connectors installed; just pay attention to how the old one is routed as you remove it and install the new one the same way. Much easier, and less potentially troublesome, than trying to rewire the current damaged sub-harness. Better to spend your efforts and time mitigating future damage to the replacement sub-harness; many good suggestions here!
Thanks! Do you know where the plug in is for the new harness? I can’t see where it goes? Thanks

Top Bottom