Mr. Donaldson - R.I.P. 10/15/2014

Chance

Taming the dragon!
Bike
'07 ST1300
Sorry to read this. Sorry for everyone's loss. Bob was a really great fellow.

Bike
2005 Concours
Well, I've had all day to come up with the words to describe what Bob meant to me. I don't know if I can do it, but here goes.

I only had the pleasure of knowing Bob for about 2 1/2 yrs. In that amount of time, for whatever reason, he became very close to me. I admired him greatly. Whenever we were together, be it here at my house, gathered round the wood stove, his house, or at an event, he would always have a story to tell me. Some of them were about his rides, which I never got tired of hearing, some were about the MANY friends he had met along his journeys, some were when he was a pilot in Vietnam, and some were about his family, whom he was very proud of. Some of the stories I had heard before, but never got tired of hearing them.

He was especially proud of attending his grandaughters wedding, last year, aboard a river boat on the Tennessee River. He thought that was really neat.

I had the priviledge of chasing him through the Smokey Mtns, on 3B. I still can't believe he could whip that big bike around those twisties like he did. Amazing!

I know from our discussions he missed his wife very much. Telling me how they used to "dance" while he was taking care of her, brought tears to my eyes. What a wonderful man to take care of her the way he did.

I guess I'm just rambling on. There really aren't enough words to describe how much I'm gonna miss him. I'm sure others, who knew him longer than I, probably feel the same way.

So, I guess the best way to leave this is....He was not only a great person, but also a great friend, and I'm gonna miss him alot.

RIP....ole friend....Semper Fi!!!

TOS

Bike
2015 Super Tenere
STOC #
DSCN4123 (1280x958).jpg

This was a year ago on the Talimena Drive during OkieSTOC.
I will miss Bob being there this weekend and I will think of him every time I'm at a STOC event from now on.

Great Man and Great Life, period.

Bike
ST1300A, TracerGT
I believe Bob had been been in both the Air Force and the Army, switching branches so that he could fly helicopters.

I took a ride on my bike this evening, passenger pegs down, and eventually ended up at my Wednesday night poker game.
During our evening ending "all in" tournament play, I kept getting AK, KK, AQ suited, or some other pair and took out the other guys pretty quickly. Whether he was, or not, I choose to think Bob was over my shoulder guiding my cards.

Miss you already, Bob. Heaven is a better place today.

Bigmak96

R.I.P. - 2021/08/07
Rest In Peace
Bike
04 GL1800 Past tense
STOC #
I have noticed that a few of Bob's close friends have not posted. I just wanted to give my condolences to all of us who are hurting with the loss of Bob. He has joined the group of riders who will never be forgotten.

Bike
2005 Concours
I believe Bob had been been in both the Air Force and the Army, switching branches so that he could fly helicopters.

I took a ride on my bike this evening, passenger pegs down, and eventually ended up at my Wednesday night poker game.
During our evening ending "all in" tournament play, I kept getting AK, KK, AQ suited, or some other pair and took out the other guys pretty quickly. Whether he was, or not, I choose to think Bob was over my shoulder guiding my cards.

Miss you already, Bob. Heaven is a better place today.
I do believe Mr. Donaldson had a thing for the Crap tables. He spoke of a "system" he had, and he seemed to suggest that he was successful at it. I think he'd stop by Vegas, on his yearly Western swing, and practice his system.

Bike
'99 ST1100
STOC #
I met Bob several times at NashCat's RTE and at FerrySTOC and I remember his last embrace. The picture of a blue Honda GL1800 in the upper left corner of the ST-Owners webpage shows Bob waving good-bye to all of us. He will be missed.

Last edited:
Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
Bob stopped in Laughlin, NV when he was out west, said his crap system helped keep him in gas 'n tar money. He never took the dice, always rode on others' coat tails. Said he didn't always win but knew enuff to quit when the dice were cold. I've never played the game so can't really comment more.

Bob was proud of his military record (3 tours in Vietnam), his work as financial guy after retiring from the service, his wife (much missed), his family, and his extended family here. He was one of Deba's favorites and had visited The CattHouse several times. Irreplaceable.

For those who haven't seen it yet, I have an album of all my Bob pics at Facebook, it's only 24 pics and goes back to 2010:
https://www.facebook.com/george.catt.3/media_set?set=a.722729314446887.1073741835.100001294766383&type=1

Bigmak96

R.I.P. - 2021/08/07
Rest In Peace
Bike
04 GL1800 Past tense
STOC #
Thanks George, nice pics.
I have a few to put up somewhere too.

Here a two.I like the one that makes it look like Bob invented the "selfie" in 2011

Attachments

Last edited:
Bike
2005 Concours
Thanks George...really nice pictures. I've been looking through my pictures, and although I have some, I don't have any of him here. I used to have one of him pulling out the drive, but now I can't find it. It's tough!!!

Tankereng

Site Supporter
Bike
2018 Goldwing
STOC #
Thanks George... The picture at Moonshine in 2010 reminded me that the first time I really met Bob... I had ridden with Mac to Moonshine for the Post Post Post MLR...;) then on to stagecoach :).

He will be missed and remain with me while I ride as are Terry, Curt, and the others that have gone...

eon

Bike
2002 St
STOC #
All I can say is Bob was , in my eyes , that once in a lifetime friend that we all hope to have in life. Vinny and I were so blessed to be able to go and spend time with him and his family last Sunday before his passing. I've spent all morning reading posts, and it's been tough. There are not enough words to describe him and what he meant to so many people. He will be deeply missed.

I knew him simply as Uncle Bob. As a young kid my Uncle Bob was the cool Uncle who would take me for rides on his Harley Davidson. I believe it was an Electra Glide Sport. I remember not being able to sleep the night before anticipating the ride the next day. He is the reason why I fell in love with motorcycling and why I have a few harleys.
Just like someone else had already posted, Uncle Bob is what I want to be when I grow up. He was a helluva rider and an all around great guy.
Thank you to everyone for the posts and prayers for my family. My prayers will be with all of you because you fine folks were family to him. Thank you also to this site. It has been great to be able to read what everyone thought about him.

Bike
2008 ST1300A Red
I only wish I had the opportunity to meet Mr. Donaldson in person. I can only hope his friends and family find peace in this time. It seems he lived his life the way he wanted and surrounded himself with like minded folks and people he loved. I can't imagine anything better.

Top Bottom