MSF course Experienced or Advanced?

Bike
1991 st1100
Sign up here in Ohio starts Monday. I am leaning toward the advanced class, it has 4 hours classroom , and 5 hours on bike. Experienced is 5 hours on bikes, pillions are optional.
Any input is appreciated.
My background is: 14,000 mi. 24 years ago on a Yamaha Vision. 35 years riding dirt bikes. 3,500 mi last year on st1100.

Highrider

Part time mechanic
Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
If this is your first class, start with the basics regardless of your previous experience. I was in just about the same exact situation 9 years ago when I got back into street bikes, and I'm satified that I did start out with the basics. I have gone through 5 additional classes in the past 9 years in different formats and programs that have stepped up my understanding of safe and skilled riding. There is always more to learn, regardless of your level of experience, and you will probably be going back for more classes and/or track day schools in the future.

Bike
ST1100 & ST1300
STOC #
I would tend to agree. If you haven't done the classroom I would do that. I did the Basic Course and then a few years later the ERC. The benefit of doing one with classroom is that they will cover some things that they are looking for when you are out in on the course riding and explain why they are looking for them. This way you can spend more of your time working on the drill.

You will likely find that some things that they are looking for are going to be against what you normally do. Some of this is just so they can tell what you are doing. For instance not looking with your eyes but your entire head as they can't see your eyes. Look at Highrider's and my Avatar, but in practice this really helps you in the real world. I find I still turn my head more and turn much better. It is pretty common for me to drag the pegs in a parking lot when I turn my head like that.

FJRHank

"Scooter Pimp"
I've never taught the Advanced course but have the ERC.

This is the MSF link describing the different courses they have available:

http://www.msf-usa.org/index_new.cfm?pagename=ridercourse info&content=C55DBB87-A0CC-53D5-64D098C9870C8030&referer=MSF RiderCourses

The ERC is the one with no classroom (well, one version has an "informal classroom", the ones I've taught were "skills practice" only). The Advanced course is described as having actual classroom time.

I'd recommend the newer Advanced class. My bet would be that the MSF has put a lot of work into it and integrated new things the ERC doesn't have. Even if it's just better teaching techniques.

And hopefully you won't mind my pointing out, if you don't practice what you learn, in any class you take, the skills will diminish over time. They are all "learned" skills.

It's not like "I passed, I'm good to go". Not even close actually. I think that's one of the biggest challenges us motorcyclists face, because we take these skills for granted with our cars / trucks. But emergency braking and swerving, along with cornering are very very different on a bike, and unless practiced regularly there's no way you can be competent at them.

Hope that helps and isn't over bearing ;)

Oh and certainly what others have said, if you haven't taken the BRC that is definitely where I would start, they don't cover much of that material later, it's assumed you have taken that course first.

Last edited:
Bike
05 ST1300
STOC #
I will assume you started riding riding street bikes this past year and have 3500 miles under your belt. If this is true. I would recommend that you start with the basic course (BRC1) first. I have yet to have a student not learn anything in this class. Some with 30 years experience, This will lay down the foundation of basic riding, Both mental and physical. The reason why and how!!. Then do the BRC2 (old ERC) class later in the year and follow up with the advance course next year.

OP
OP
snortindog
Bike
1991 st1100
Boy am I glad I asked this question here! Following everyones advice, I will be signing up for the BRC. Hopefully my old dog ways will not hinder my ability to learn.
Thanks for the replies.

RCS

Sign up here in Ohio starts Monday. I am leaning toward the advanced class, it has 4 hours classroom , and 5 hours on bike. Experienced is 5 hours on bikes, pillions are optional.
Any input is appreciated.
My background is: 14,000 mi. 24 years ago on a Yamaha Vision. 35 years riding dirt bikes. 3,500 mi last year on st1100.
I may be interested in the ARC in OH. Do you have a link for sign-up?

Top Bottom