MSN Direct Traffic Receiver w/Garmin 660

Bike
BMW K1600GT
I've just installed the MSN Direct with the Garmin Zumo 660.

You cannot believe just how cool it is to have doppler weather radar while you ride!!! Of course MSN Direct offers traffic, flight info etc, but it was worth it to me just to have this feature. While installation was simple, the people at Garmin are either not that bright or do not know their own product line.

The case: If you look at the accessories for the Garmin, the GDB-50 is the recommended MSN traffic receiver for the 660. Just one thing, it won't work with the motorcycle mount!!! I was pissed to say the least. The GDB-50 has an 18 pin connector and not the mini-B USB connector required for the motorcycle mount.

So I called Garmin, and got their customer service after a 20 min wait. The lady while very nice was equally clueless. She sent me to technical support, who told me there was no way to get MSN Direct via the motorcycle mount, also he stated that there were no plans in the works to make an adapter. So now I was really pissed, because that's alot of the reason I spent 650.00 on the damn thing (Zumo 660)to begin with.
Undaunted, I started looking for some sort of adapter on the internet. There was nothing, so now I started Googling everything regarding the Zumo, MSN Direct, mini usb, and 18 pin connector. I was hopeful that some smart guy had developed a hack, but still no joy. I went back to the Garmin website to look at what the other traffic receivers offered, then WHAM!!!!!! Gramin offered two types of MSN Direct Receivers, the CDB-50 and the CBD-55. Now the 55 was listed as NOT compatible with the Zumo, but guess what, I enlarged the picture and it had a mini USB connector!!! Now more Googling, and there it was, someone had seen the same thing and tried it. Well it works great, got mine form Amazon.com yesterday.

Some installation considerations:

1. Both the Garmin and the traffic receiver need their own power source.
  2. 2. The traffic receiver cannot be hard wired, it uses a cigerette lighter.
  3. It takes about 20-60 mins for MSN to load the data after registration.
  4. Update Garmin firmware first, then install MSN direct.
  5. I have traffic receiver installed under my seat out of the way.
The unit can be used with the car mount as well. The total cost for all was as follows:

649.00 for Garmin
89.00 for MSN Direct w/ 12 mos free service
I already have the dual rear powerlets installed so there was no additional cost here.
For 100.00 you can buy lifetime MSN Direct service, but they don't tell you this, you have to ask for it.

After riding around for a couple of hours I love it, for me it was worth the effort. Seeing doppler radar on my handlebars is great, I do alot of distance riding and this is the capability I wanted. The traffic feature is neat also. Be advised that this service is only avail in major cities. See their website.

:06biker:

Tom Mac 04a

Site Supporter
Bike
04 ST1300a
STOC #
"2. The traffic receiver cannot be hard wired, it uses a cigerette lighter."

What I done in the past for USB devices ( or cigar type plugs that convert 12v to whatever) is get a small plastic project box from Radio shack, disassemble the plug containing the components and place in the box.... now you can run a new set of fused leads to where-ever and the unit is hard wired into the bike's power. These small boxes can be waterproofed if need be based on mounting location.

cdp70

"Living the Dream..."
Bike
2003 ST 1300A
STOC #
Thanks for the info on this. I am still researching GPS units and this definitely helps.

Ride safe... :03biker:

Bike
GL1800
Show us a picture of the dopler radar............is it the same presentation as the weather on XM

Bike
GL1800
Thanks.

That looks comparable to the XM doppler screens ..........but don't think the coverage is near as good YET. When on tour this would be the cat's meow!

The Zumo 550 has XM and can show weather maps/forecasts but can not display the doppler radar screens like the GPSmaps Garmin systems like the 478 etc.

Bike
2012 r1200rt
STOC #
dang why do more farkles always come up just when i think i'm done!! ok ok, this weather radar thing, does it pick up this information via satellite or via cell phone towers or is it available only when near the large cities???

Top Bottom