My new to me ride

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
As some of you may know, I purchased Dan's (bdalameda) bike, a 1997 ST1100 ABSII. I'm starting a fly-n-ride from Dallas next Saturday May 21st. I'm taking the following week off work, so I'm combining this purchase with a CO/UT trip I was planning to make anyway. My tentative route is below. I picked this route to get Hwy 50 in Nevada, Hwys 12, 128 and Moki Dugway in Utah and Hwys 141 and 550 in CO. I've previously ridden all of these except Hwy 50 in NV. There are some roads in AZ that I want to ride, but trying to stay in the cooler part of the country as long as I can. I have plenty of time, so would appreciate any advice on other routes. Also, if anyone wants to meet up for lunch/dinner, that would be great, let me know! I'm going to try and update this thread as I go. My spot link is in my avatar info. Thanks for watching! ;)

1652640409606.png

Awesome, Interstates are great to make time, but if you can come into US 70 in CO farther east you won't be disappointed, or if you going East, stay a bit longer and double back. They did an amazing job on that stretch. Stay safe, have fun!!

Sounds like you got a good deal and a great bike. Your trip route looks good too. I hope the weather cooperates and you have a safe and enjoyable ride.

As some of you may know, I purchased Dan's (bdalameda) bike, a 1997 ST1100 ABSII. I'm starting a fly-n-ride from Dallas next Saturday May 21st. I'm taking the following week off work, so I'm combining this purchase with a CO/UT trip I was planning to make anyway. My tentative route is below. I picked this route to get Hwy 50 in Nevada, Hwys 12, 128 and Moki Dugway in Utah and Hwys 141 and 550 in CO. I've previously ridden all of these except Hwy 50 in NV. There are some roads in AZ that I want to ride, but trying to stay in the cooler part of the country as long as I can. I have plenty of time, so would appreciate any advice on other routes. Also, if anyone wants to meet up for lunch/dinner, that would be great, let me know! I'm going to try and update this thread as I go. My spot link is in my avatar info. Thanks for watching! ;)

View attachment 291967
If you have time, take 120 thru Yosemite NP, 120 runs thru the park and comes out at Lee vining. Make sure Tioga RD and Tioga Pass are open before you leave 108. Tioga Rd is currently closed, but it usually opens in late May.

Nice looking bike!

Hope you enjoy the ride back home. Looks like a nice trip you're going on.

Take Care

If you have time, take 120 thru Yosemite NP, 120 runs thru the park and comes out at Lee vining. Make sure Tioga RD and Tioga Pass are open before you leave 108. Tioga Rd is currently closed, but it usually opens in late May.
Thanks for the tips. I’ve never ridden through Yosemite, but I hear it’s a real problem in the summertime due to traffic. Is there a way to miss all the traffic?

Thanks for the tips. I’ve never ridden through Yosemite, but I hear it’s a real problem in the summertime due to traffic. Is there a way to miss all the traffic?
the real traffic is in and around the valley, once you get away from there its usually not too bad in the rest of the park. If you've never been there it might be worth biting the bullet and putting up with the valley traffic just to see it once, its an amazing place.

edit: I see Tioga pass is still closed, and after May 20 you need a reservation to even drive in the park at all. So I'd opt for another alternative, which BTW CA108 is quite scenic, its the next pass road north of Yosemite/120.

the real traffic is in and around the valley, once you get away from there its usually not too bad in the rest of the park. If you've never been there it might be worth biting the bullet and putting up with the valley traffic just to see it once, its an amazing place.

edit: I see Tioga pass is still closed, and after May 20 you need a reservation to even drive in the park at all. So I'd opt for another alternative, which BTW CA108 is quite scenic, its the next pass road north of Yosemite/120.
Thanks for the info Doug. I don't really want to hassle with making a reservation, and my current route takes me on 108, so I guess I'll just take that.

Thanks for the info Doug. I don't really want to hassle with making a reservation, and my current route takes me on 108, so I guess I'll just take that.
I don't blame you, apparently there's a lot of infrastructure upgrades going on that's causing the reservations to be needed, so I'd stay away this year, and you'll like 108.

edit: I see Tioga pass is still closed, and after May 20 you need a reservation to even drive in the park at all. So I'd opt for another alternative, which BTW CA108 is quite scenic, it's the next pass road north of Yosemite/120.
Ab alternative would be to take highway 4 pt pf angels camp over Ebbetts Pass up to Markleeville then highway 89 east to 395 in Gardnerville, NV then up to highway 50 in Carson City. If you are brave, you can turn left at the Markleville junction of 4 and 89 and pick up highway 50 in Meyers, just west of south lake Tahoe. Not a good idea on the weekend, but easy enough during the week.

Any route through the Sierra will be awesome.

For Hwy 50, here are my thoughts from riding through there last June. The stretch from Austin to Ely was recently chip-sealed and kinda sucked, but is probably fine now. Really not much between Fallon and Ely. In Ely, there is a nice city park with bathrooms, nice place to stretch out and eat lunch or a snack. It looks like you're turning off from 50 before the UT border, but if you find yourself in need, there is a gas station + I don't know what on 50 at the NV/UT border. The shoulders range from soft to non-existent, so be careful if you're pulling over. A wet vest sort of thing does an amazing job of cooling you down where it's hot and dry. Worth having if the forecast looks hot.

I hope you have a great ride.

Awesome, Interstates are great to make time, but if you can come into US 70 in CO farther east you won't be disappointed, or if you going East, stay a bit longer and double back. They did an amazing job on that stretch. Stay safe, have fun!!

Thanks for that tip... I like the idea of going out and doubling back. We'll see how my ride is going at that point.

Like I said at lunch Saturday.... when you find something that works for you, stick with it... Great that you can get such a nice bike and then have the confidence to take it on a week-long trip.

hmmmm... UP Jr. UP- Uncle Paul....

Back
Top Bottom