My wife and I have the Autocom 200 each and are ready for bike to bike communication

moddy

the mod
Bike
05 ST1300
STOC #
What type of radio are you using that would hook up with the Autocom 200. I have in mind to use a button that connects to the communication device for the push to talk function, so I'm betting it will be more than 20.00 for a pair of radio's. We ride in close proximity, never more than 200 meters apart, so it doesn't have to be expensive but it does have to connect to the Autocom and it does have to have a remote button for push to talk so it works through the Autocom microphone and speakers.
Farkles is probably coded for never being done with your bike, ever. As in, EVER.

OP
OP
moddy

moddy

the mod
Bike
05 ST1300
STOC #
Re: My wife and I have the Autocom 200 each and are ready for bike to bike communicat

I took a look at this and I like the option. I am having a hard time finding the wire that would come from the radio to the handlebar. I will keep looking, of course, but I do like those linky things. Can't remember a time I didn't click on it to see what there was to see.

OP
OP
moddy

moddy

the mod
Bike
05 ST1300
STOC #
Re: My wife and I have the Autocom 200 each and are ready for bike to bike communicat

Could I use two of these and just bypass the earpiece function. I would have the button and somewhere to plug it into the radio. With my fancy cables from the above link I should be set.

I forgot to add the link for a motorola ear-piece combination ptt switch I found on ebay. It was for about 8 bucks.

Last edited:
OP
OP
moddy

moddy

the mod
Bike
05 ST1300
STOC #

Ok, I think I'm on to it. Will have to update as to the gear I selected. I know Blrfl at least has an autocom, just don't know if he has used the remote toggle for bike to bike stuff. Pretty sure he doesn't.

Bike
2004 st1300
STOC #

If you have the ptt button and adapter for your radio. The radio then does not need to be upfront on the bars. But if you want it there, you can get an extension cable to reach. Place your radio so that the antenna is vertical away from bars or metal objects. Poor placement can sap its power. Do not lay the radio on the tank for example, this will cause poor reception and transmission. Experiment with placement. Best is a nice industrial kenwood with a external antenna. But for close distance weekend riding,a bubble pack Motorola will do just fine.

OP
OP
moddy

moddy

the mod
Bike
05 ST1300
STOC #
Last edited:
OP
OP
moddy

moddy

the mod
Bike
05 ST1300
STOC #

I'm not sure if that plan will work.... But you can try. What is hard to see is if those radios have the standard Motorola jacks for mic & speaker, which the Autocom adapter cable would plug into, & how you would connect the included ear piece w/PTT. I suspect you will still need the Autocom PTT cable.

Seriously, call RocketMoto. They can walk you through it.
thank you. What I guess I really need to find out is what Motorola Radio is already being used on the forum. I don't need to reinvent the wheel but I think the close proximity, within 200 meters, is the ticket in choosing the radio that suits the need rather than a three or four hundred dollar one. I can see where rocketmoto is going to help with the cables for sure.

OP
OP
moddy

moddy

the mod
Bike
05 ST1300
STOC #

How about this one http://www.amazon.com/Midland-GXT1000VP4-36-Mile-50-Channel-Two-Way/dp/B001WMFYH4/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1378586901&sr=8-1-fkmr1&keywords=g4+gmrs
Just had a thought that it doesn't have to come through our speakers. It's got one. I don't know of anyone doing this, but I'm a reduce expenses kind of person when all we really need is, "Hey, turn right here, not left. Do you want to stop here?.... you get the idea.

OP
OP
moddy

moddy

the mod
Bike
05 ST1300
STOC #

You can use blister pack radios as long as they have the pair of audio jacks to plug into the cable.
Do you mean the autocom cable? I just didn't want to confuse the PTT cable. It would be really helpful if there was a list of blister pack radios that were compatible with the autocom cable. I guess this is my cue to call Rocketmoto about that.
Why are the pack of radios called blister packs?

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
OP
OP
moddy

moddy

the mod
Bike
05 ST1300
STOC #

Thanks again, it will get solved.

Bike
2007 ST1300abs
STOC #

I also use an Active Plus and have installed a few others for my friends. I use a Kenwood radio purchased from an Autocom dealer when I bought the Active Plus. Word of caution on radio choices...one of my friends decided to save some cash and went with a Motorola radio instead. He did save some money and Autocom does have an adapter cable for his radio which is a single pin for mic and speakers...Kenwood and older Motorolas use one pin for mic and another pin for speaker. He has had constant issues with the connection of the adapter to the radio...he can always hear us, but often cannot talk to us. If we cable tie the radio to the adapter tightly it will usually work until he hits some harder bumps. We never have this issue with the two pin Kenwoods or the older two pin Motorola radios. I think its just too many connections on such a small plug leave little room for deviation in connection points.

OP
OP
moddy

moddy

the mod
Bike
05 ST1300
STOC #

I understand Kenwood to be more popular than most other radio's. My wife is in to what will be the good investment for the distance rather than the upfront savings. I got two Autocom 200 plus for about 180.00, pretty awesome.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #

I understand Kenwood to be more popular than most other radio's.
Their TK series is based on their professional line, very rigid, very reliable and their battery voltage enables them being bike powered. I run a TK3100 since '99 now...

OP
OP
moddy

moddy

the mod
Bike
05 ST1300
STOC #

Their TK series is based on their professional line, very rigid, very reliable and their battery voltage enables them being bike powered. I run a TK3100 since '99 now...
Thank you, makes sense to me.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #

Did try the UBZ series... mike/speaker connector issues (unless you zip-tie that thang...), range sucks (anything over 50m gets difficult...), speech muffled, battery lifetime issues (3x AA size, and rechargeables just didn't give a day's operation...), reception trips on proximity of just ANY EM source, like high-voltage grid, overhead power lines on train embankments, etc... and in ambient temps >40?C the circuits just went berserk (had to disconnect them while running through Italy, Spain and Portugal due to high temps there...). They will work fine out in the nature though, far away from inhabited areas, so good for hiking, climbing and such... Getting them TKs was like changing from an old 60ies B/W TV to a modern HD flat screen, the Autocom adaptor clicks in firmly + there is a fixing bracket avail, crystal clear speech, range up to 4km and more... and one can tune those TKs, a small terminal software and an RS232 adaptor... remove the flexi aerial and install a BNC socket... a lot to tinker ;-)

Top Bottom