My 'Wing buddy got a new ride.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
He traded in his 2005 Anniversary 'Wing for a 2022 Metallic Black GoldWing Tour. I couldn't talk him into a DCT. Buying one was a bit of an adventure. He wanted a White 'Wing but that wasn't an option. He called all over trying to find a Wing but all anybody had were DCTs and they were all spoken for. He found on in FL but while he was talking to the shop owner he was told "Oops sorry it was just sold.

There were three shops locally where he had some history with the owners so he focused on them. On Monday 26 DEC he called all three shops trying to find a 'Wing. All three said "The truck just left — we got three". Of those nine eight were DCT and all spoken for. The one manual was the black metallic in Hollister CA. He put a deposit on it and figured that's the best he's going to do. He other option was Blue but apparently that meant getting an airbag and he didn't want to pay for that.

So off to Hollister to pick the bike up. While he was there he saw a brand new 2021 manual shift in Red. He was about to ask but the owner said "Sold". It went to the owner of the same bike but DCT equipped. That guy is keeping the two bikes. He likes the DCT but he likes to shift too. Go figure.

All three shops said the chip shortage is affecting the quantity of bikes in general. Another fun fact – to of them told hem that 75% of the 'Wings coming in are DCT. And all of the shops said they can't keep a 'Wing on the floor. They all have waiting lists and everyone gets scooped up as soon as they come in. No more days of a 'Wing sitting on the floor for a few weeks.

So I went to his place today (Friday actually) to check it out. It.Is.Gorgeous. LOVE the Black Metallic which looks a little gray it bright light. Lots of the bike is matte black though and it's a nice contrast.

There are some neat features and some of them are new for 2021 and 2022 I believe. Feel free to dot my is and ts. One of my favorite features is both meter needles got to full swing on IGN. Very cool. It has a for-real Flash to Pass lever. VERY nice.

The LED headlights are quite trick. The low beams are always in with IGN. Selecting high beams adds light from a row of LEDs under the low beams.

Starting the bike is also very cool. The RUN/STOP switch is spring loaded to maintain an OFF position. Tapping it to Start fires the bike up instantly. It's as though it started in less than a revolution of the crank. It sounded instant. The idle didn't sound particularly fast but it was rock steady. It sounded like a car idle. It reminded me of my 750-4. Instant start (but I did have to apply some choke and remove it once the bike was warm).

I thought the first of the new 'Wings had a "fool proof" RUN/STOP switch in that the STOP position was spring loaded and it always returned to the RUN position so that you never made that embarrassing Won't Start post. Am I miss-remembering? This 2022 didn't have that.

The gas cap is under a panel on the tank similar I think to that of the ST1100. But to open that panel you have to open a panel on the STBD side of the bike then press a button to open the cover. It's not a push open/push close deal.

To open the saddle bags there's a small button on the bag that opens it. But according to him there is no actual locking of the bags. Just push the button and you're in. Can any 2022 or other Wing owners verify this? That seems really odd.

It has an electric windshield just like our STs. Well some of our STs. It stows when powered off and returns to last position under IGN.

The keyless starting fob can be locked out with a turn of a knob when desired. No worries of popping into the shops and someone rides off with it.

There's an optional tail light/brake light that spans the lowers back of the trunk bridging the tail lights. I'm hoping he gets it 'cuz it looks sharp.

He said it's not only the smoothest riding bike he's every ridden but that it's also an incredibly smooth bike. My suggestion to buy all white body parts was taken very seriously. :rofl1: (I don't know there are white body parts for it). He's ok with the color and he really loves the bike.

If I had room for one I'd own one. A big bike but I'd be OK with that even if I had to work on my quads. And that would be for the cool meter needle startup. Everything else would be icing. :D

Last edited:

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
I spent a week and 2100 miles on my brother's 2021 GW DCT, and can verify it's as good as you say. And yes, the bags and trunk pop open with that button, as long as the key fob is within about 5'-10' of the bike. No need to work on your quads... the bike "feels" much lighter than the ST since the weight is so low. Of course, I never dropped it, so never had to pick it up! ;)

OP
OP
ST Gui

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
as long as the key fob is within about 5'-10' of the bike.
I'll pass that along as I don't think he realizes they actually lock. Thanks for that. Maybe I can show off a bit!

His new 'Wing is 40lbs lighter than his old 'Wing and he says he can feel it. He was also told not to set the bike to Sport mode while in the parking lot or he might be in for a bit of a surprise. Once on the highway back he switch to Sport and was surprised.

Bike
2000 ST1100
I'll pass that along as I don't think he realizes they actually lock. Thanks for that. Maybe I can show off a bit!

His new 'Wing is 40lbs lighter than his old 'Wing and he says he can feel it. He was also told not to set the bike to Sport mode while in the parking lot or he might be in for a bit of a surprise. Once on the highway back he switch to Sport and was surprised.
Shame on the salesperson for not pointing that out about his bags.

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
I guess I am just as glad not to be in the 'Wing market at this point. Sounds like a seller's arena, with no incentive to offer discounts. How long before they start adding a "Dealer Added Value" premium, or simply jack the MSRP up by $5K?

Bike
2000 ST1100
I guess I am just as glad not to be in the 'Wing market at this point. Sounds like a seller's arena, with no incentive to offer discounts. How long before they start adding a "Dealer Added Value" premium, or simply jack the MSRP up by $5K?
Been car shopping lately? Its everywhere cars, bikes ,houses. Sometimes I think its just greed. Or they could just be getting back at us for beating them down on price all these years:biggrin:

Bike
2016 FJR
STOC #
You guys are convincing me. I want a garage queen 2021 DCT Wing in 2024. Hopefully used prices come down by then.

Moto-Charlie

Vendor
I purchased a low mileage 2018 Pearl White 6-speed (I wanted the manual) this past September from Lancaster Honda in PA - flew down and rode it home to NH. The sales person who helped me was a gentleman named Gerry. He mentioned that they sold a fair number of Goldwings.

He spent about an hour and half to two hours with me going through everything on the bike from how to check the oil (not as simple as it sounds) to going through the emergency start drill if you lose the fob - where we took apart the rear panel to access the emergency key and went through the sequence of actually starting the bike without a fob. He pointed out all kinds of little things, walked me through the NAV system, helped me to connect my Samsung Android phone and my BT helmet speakers.

It was the best buying experinece I have ever had and Gerry was a class act - so there are some sales professionals that clearly know what they are doing, unfortunately not aways where you are, but definitely some out there.

Last edited:
Bike
2010 ST1300
@ST Gui, did your buddy call Western Reserve Honda, in Cleveland? In November I picked up a gallon of GN4 there and saw three brand new GoldWings sitting on the floor. No 'Sold' tags on them. It's winter here, unlike some parts of the country and I suspect sales pick up in a couple of months.

OP
OP
ST Gui

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
did your buddy call Western Reserve Honda, in Cleveland?
No.

They are as good as they say. 30K now on my 2018 DCT.
I tried to tell him when they first came out. We went down to the Progressive SoCal Bike show to check them out. He wasn't keen on the DCT and the smallish bags put him off. We both thought (and still do) the Pearl White was the most gorgeous thing on two wheels.

Later he found out that Honda made the truck (and maybe the bags?) bigger. His wife wouldn't be going on rides more than overnight if that so the larger luggage was a tipping point. But no mas for the Pearly Whites. There's some talk among a couple of dealers that the 2023 will be white but that it will be Japan only. Or at least not for US.

He's had every model of GW since our GL1000s and he's over the moon with this 2022. He showed me the two knobs at the steering head where you might expect to see the tops of the fork tubes. They move with the suspension where the fork tubes did not. He said it took him a minute to get used to that. But it's an indicator how much the suspension is working while not feeling the road.

Bulitt

Flori-Duh-Man
Bike
1200GS, 18 Wing DCT
No.

I tried to tell him when they first came out. We went down to the Progressive SoCal Bike show to check them out. He wasn't keen on the DCT and the smallish bags put him off. We both thought (and still do) the Pearl White was the most gorgeous thing on two wheels.

Later he found out that Honda made the truck (and maybe the bags?) bigger. His wife wouldn't be going on rides more than overnight if that so the larger luggage was a tipping point. But no mas for the Pearly Whites. There's some talk among a couple of dealers that the 2023 will be white but that it will be Japan only. Or at least not for US.

He's had every model of GW since our GL1000s and he's over the moon with this 2022. He showed me the two knobs at the steering head where you might expect to see the tops of the fork tubes. They move with the suspension where the fork tubes did not. He said it took him a minute to get used to that. But it's an indicator how much the suspension is working while not feeling the road.
9CE4F343-08F1-4021-8AD8-D41E217BA2E8.jpeg

Bike
18 Goldwing Tour DCT
I had a 2008 ST1300 that I put 60k miles on, then a 2001 GL1800 that I put 50k miles on. Then I bought a 2018 GW Tour DCT. It really is the best of both worlds. The ST1800 Gold Wing. Handles better than the 2001 or 2008. Better fuel economy. Only complaint is the lack of cargo space.

Bike
2016 FJR
STOC #
I had a 2008 ST1300 that I put 60k miles on, then a 2001 GL1800 that I put 50k miles on. Then I bought a 2018 GW Tour DCT. It really is the best of both worlds. The ST1800 Gold Wing. Handles better than the 2001 or 2008. Better fuel economy. Only complaint is the lack of cargo space.
I need one of these new Wings. Another couples years I figure and my 2006 GL1800 and 2016 FJR will both have 200K+ miles on them (my self imposed mileage standard for replacing a bike). I have both a cargo rack and a trailer, so not too worried about the decrease in luggage capacity. I'll look for a gently used 2021 in 2024....LOL.

OP
OP
ST Gui

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010

I'm in love! She turns my letters 'round!

Seriously, the first time I saw the new GL1800 I was very impressed and interested. its color is a mere memory. But when saw it in white it was love at first sight.

Gug

Bike
18' Goldwing Tour
I purchased my 18' Goldwing Tour on March 20th 2018, I test rode a DCT model on February 27th 2018 for over 1.5 hours. I have a great relationship with my dealer and when they got their first bike in they called me the day before and the next day I test rode it a parking lot in slow speed maneuvers, city riding and X-way. The DCT was nice but when I arrived back at the shop, they asked me what I thought and I said order me a Tour model in red with a manual transmission. Right off I have to say it is the nicest motorcycle made for touring, reviews will reveal that. I have just shy of 41K in miles on it and have ridden out west from Michigan, down to Florida and many other places. This bike performed flawlessly. On the Bridgestone Excedra 852 & 853's I get about 16K on the front and 20K on the rear. It gets good mileage, but again I ride rather easy in the high 90 percentile of my riding and my overall mileage is 50.2 MPG. It handles very well, brakes are excellent and is ultra smooth with the double wishbone fork. It is the most comfortable bike in heat I have ever ridden and I have ridden everyone of the tourers and sport tourers on the market. I am sure that when Honda was doing their R&D to build this they were visiting websites for ideas and ST-Owners I am sure was a go to. I say this being I have been on here for years and the feedback and ideas floating in here were definitely acknowledged by Honda engineers. The cruise control, the layout of controls, the ease of riding are just but a few of the of the stock items that are are wanted farkles on the ST. If you have the means and get a chance, take one for a ride. Be safe out there.IMG_8820.1.jpg

Top Bottom