Need a new windshield

Bike
2003 ST1300A
So in the most terrifying moment of my short time riding, a box truck being used by a landscape company with the door half-open (one of those deals where they bought a former Uhaul or Budget truck and removed a few of the door panels so it is only half a door at the bottom and is never truly closed...) had a socket drop out on the highway and smack the windshield this morning.

A nice spidery chip just left of center on my stock screen. I'm grumpy.

It looks like the windshield forum has been dead for a while, so is there an updated cluster of suggestions for good aftermarkets with minimal buffeting and decent fit?

Was it a 10mm?
Did you get to keep the socket?
It almost sounds like you want to improve on the original screen... at 6' and 33" inseam, the stock works great for me.
Ummm, I don't remember if you're on the 13 or the 11, my experience is the 1300 usually in the lowest position, highest when it's raining or cold.

So in the most terrifying moment of my short time riding, a box truck being used by a landscape company with the door half-open (one of those deals where they bought a former Uhaul or Budget truck and removed a few of the door panels so it is only half a door at the bottom and is never truly closed...) had a socket drop out on the highway and smack the windshield this morning.

A nice spidery chip just left of center on my stock screen. I'm grumpy.

It looks like the windshield forum has been dead for a while, so is there an updated cluster of suggestions for good aftermarkets with minimal buffeting and decent fit?
Take a look at these guys. They are nowhere near California

Was it a 10mm?
Did you get to keep the socket?
It almost sounds like you want to improve on the original screen... at 6' and 33" inseam, the stock works great for me.
Ummm, I don't remember if you're on the 13 or the 11, my experience is the 1300 usually in the lowest position, highest when it's raining or cold.
I'm 6'1" with a 34" inseam. Stock windshield is honestly entirely fine if it's viable to find one in solid shape; I have the hardware set at the higher position (ST1300). I know there are some aftermarkets where people were complaining of buffeting, and the most recent one (SlipScreens maybe?) had to have another deflector screen added to the top.
And the socket was more in the realm of an 18mm deepwell.

I also use a Cal-Sci and it does work great. 1 inch wider to help protect the passenger a bit more. It did that well.

You could land a plane on that extra wide, goodness.

Their tinted looks really nice.
I suggest you do a search for windshields on this forum. I reviewed my Calsci windshield and kept it on the bike as long as I had it. I also bought one of their shields for my VStrom when I got that bike. Unfortunately, quality dropped around the time I got the VS (Jan '19) and a number of guys complained about their shields after I got mine. I think Dad was retiring and passing the business on to his son (and he complained about son's work ethic (or lack thereof) online). No idea what quality they offer today. The big complaint then was the laser/router cutting of the shape was left raw - unpolished and sharp. I also remember someone complaining when the laser or router completed the pattern circuit, there was a discernible bump.

My only complaint about my Calsci shields was the port in the middle. They blather on about how it lets air in to wash up the inside of the plastic, reducing turbulence and yielding a quieter air pocket. Since the shield is open at the bottom, I wonder about this. I also rode with the shield all the way up and I looked through the top couple of inches. I left my helmet's visor open. The problem occurred in the rain. Said trapezoidal opening in the middle was perfectly positioned to accumulate large drops of water which were then propelled up and inward directly into my eyes. YMMV.

I have a V Stream shield for an ST 1300 I recently found in my stash of parts in the garage and I'm not far from you. $100 plus shipping or I could meet you part way between Cinti and Cols on 71 and we could stick it on your bike? PM me if you want

Or if you are going to Oh-Stoc I can bring it up with me

Last edited:
There are lots of quality after-market windscreens for the ST, and opinions of riders about them will vary. Settling on a screen is a personal matter and even two riders of 'identical stature' may make different assessments of a particular screen - IMO. I liked the Puig touring screen on my ST very much, but that is just my feeling.

On my past FJR1300 I tried a few screen configurations/lips and settled on one that was 'pretty good', and for me that is about as good as a screen can be. It's windy up there :)
I did enjoy experimenting with them though.

Good luck with a new screen. The main thing is to enjoy shopping, looking, fitting, and experimenting, and the pleasant rides that follow.

Back
Top Bottom