Need adhesive for rear brake pads

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
Yeah, I know -- who would glue their brake pads?!
Let me explain. My rear pads have about half their life left, but I can't get the inner pad installed because it has fallen apart. The pad material, the white noise-cancelling liner, and the aluminium (for our UK mates) backer plate are in 3 pieces but still fit together. Until I try to pin it. This is adding severe hassle-factor to reinstalling the pads, as this one falls down before I can get the pad pin back through the hole.
GRRRR!!
Actually, I *CAN* get the pin through, but the inner pad is not trapped under the slotted caliper's fingers, as illustrated in @jfheath 's fabulous "Pitfalls" article we all know and love.
I used "super glue" which failed exceptionally, I've considered taping it temporarily or using a rubber band -- but then how would I remove it once installed?
What is the stuff you use for this application, that I won't have to order? Surely something is available at an auto parts store?
Thanks for contributing to my positive mental health. It is waning at an alarming rate.
I need to ride.
In the first pic, this was before I removed the pin and the pads. Not to worry, I've cleaned and lubed that pad pin so he's shiny now.
Separated rear brake pad.jpg
Separated rear brake pad2.jpg

Stolen from John's superb article to illustrate the tags that I keep missing upon reinstalling this brake pad:
Brake caliper pad fingers.jpg

As long as the silicone is an adhesive (I'm no chemist), it would.
The only silicone I have, is in a toothpaste tube that says Brake Lubricant on it. That's what I used on the pad pin / slider.
EDIT: I really only need it to stick, long enough for me to secure the inner pad behind those tiny finger tabs. The tabs, plus the outer pistons and the pad pin will keep it all in place until I have to replace them in a year or so.
God willing.

Yes a clear silicone or others is very sticky and gooey. Not a brake lube, but a caulking or sealant type silicone for household tasks is what I am thinking. If it is super temporary a spot of 2 sided tape or a piece folded over? I am not a fan of messing with brakes or tires by modifying or gluing things, I would get new, but I understand that is not your question.

I have always been able to remove the heat shields and straighten them out and tighten the tabs so they will clip onto the pads and hold well.
I actually tried that with wide-jawed adjustable pliers, no joy for me.
Still fall out, and I didn't want to try to the point of destroying that thin backing plate.
You would think the tabs could be bent enough to secure the pad. Others likely can, but I often just make things worse.

As long as the silicone is an adhesive (I'm no chemist), it would.
The only silicone I have, is in a toothpaste tube that says Brake Lubricant on it.
You have silicone grease, @cdnemsguy was suggesting silicone caulk - similar to RTV silicone. Any of those will do the trick for long enough to get things together. Or, like @caldercay suggested, any of the disk brake quiet liquids should also do the trick. Permatex makes one, Loctite, too, (I think) I've seen a number of different brands at auto parts store. You can get silicone caulk at Hopot, RTV or brake quiet at auto pts stores.

P.S. I'm not sure if God cares a whole lot about our maintenance issues with these toys.

P.P.S. Didn't @jfheath recently write a thread describing that the Service Manual says we should use a specific adhesive on the brake pad clips? That stuff might work if you can find a current brand.

I believe he did, but sometimes the stuff used on that side of the world is called something different, or the brand isn't available in jolly old Birmingham, AL.

That name is misleading, to me (again, I'm no chemist) -- when I hear "moly", I think lubrication, rather than adhesive.

That name is misleading, to me (again, I'm no chemist) -- when I hear "moly", I think lubrication, rather than adhesive.
LiquiMoly is not lube of any kind, it's sticky blue gunge, great stuff. Not to be used on splines.
Also good to put on wheel mounts on cars, especially aluminium to steel.
But they're your brakes.
Upt'North.

Applying moly lubricant near the brakes might lead to a "Holy Moly!" moment.
I don't know how you apply your anti squeal but M77 when used correctly does a very good job although I've moved onto the LiquiMoly because it is far more likely to stay where its put for the lifetime of the pad.
But to each their own.
Upt'North.

Hi former DOT Officer here. You have an unsafe condition on your brake. Once any part of the brake pad breaks or fails, it places you out of service. IT IS NOT POSSIBLE TO GLUE BRAKE PADS BACK TOGETHER.

I was the guy the bikers hated to see. I've ticketed for less.....

Last edited:
Hi former DOT Officer here. You have an unsafe condition on your brake. One any part of the brake pad breaks, it places you out of service. IT IS NOT POSSIBLE TO GLUE BRAKE PADS BACK TOGETHER.

I was the guy the bikers hated to see. I've ticketed for less.....
The Spoiler!
Quick, everybody hide!

Meh, that's not unsafe. Its just the thin metal backing plates that clip on to the back of the pads. You can bend the tabs tighter and pop them on OR put a dab of RTV on each end and clamp in place until dry. The thin metal plates are there to act as either heat shields or antisqueal. If the friction material was separated from the metal backing plate, THAT would be a problem. And the pics show clearly this isn't the case.

RT

Back
Top Bottom