Need advice to remove battery!!!

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
125A. That's some significant current draw. Got it. So leave the SAE connectors for much lighter duty. Battery Tender fuses its leads at 7.5A and Warm n Safe at 15A IIRC (though they use coaxial connectors).

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
The best an SAE connection is good for, as far as jumping goes, is to let one battery charge from another. And, yes, a fuse is still a good idea.

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
STOC #
How big of a fuse is needed when jump starting a bike? And has anybody done that with an SAE connector?
Hi Robert:

I don't think that the SAE connectors could ever be used to jump start a motorcycle. Not only would it be impossible to find a 125+ amp blade-style fuse to fit into the inline fuse block, but also the wires (basically lamp cord) that the SAE connectors use would be inadequate to supply the amperage needed to start the bike.

I think that the only way to jump-start a motorcycle is by using heavy-duty automotive-style jumper cables attached directly to the terminals of each battery (donor & recipient).

I have a set of miniature "motorcycle-spec" jumper cables that I carry in my ST 1100 saddlebag - but these are rather rare items, I have not seen them in stores since I bought them about 20 years ago. They are about AWG 4 or 5 (automotive cables are typically 00 or 000).

Michael

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
CYYJ said:
I don't think that the SAE connectors could ever be used to jump start a motorcycle.
Neither do I which is why I asked. Post #15 talked about jump starting and subsequent posts mentioned SAE. I didn't want to say it wasn't possible in case somebody had pulled it off without a fiery death. But it did seem unlikely. With SAE rated at ~15A and a starter drawing 125A I didn't even bother doing the math.

Last edited:

larryg

Site Supporter
Bike
2007 ST1300A
This is a great idea, for quick and easy jump starting - unfortunately, the photos were lost (apparently) in the server upgrade:

These are the high-current, quick-disconnect connectors he used:

This is on my to-do list....

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
Eastern Beaver has a ready-made motorcycle booster wiring harness called the Powerlink System. It is advertised as being for motorcycle boosting. I have no doubt that it would work just fine for a battery that needs some help to get the engine started. Being that it is AWG 10 I have my reservations about its ability to handle boosting a motorcycle whose battery is dead or nearly dead.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
This is a great idea, for quick and easy jump starting - unfortunately, the photos were lost (apparently) in the server upgrade:
Dang nab it!
Yep, looks like all the photos I had on the website are gone. Hmm... wonder if I have the origianls at home.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
Hi Michael:

I saw a post of yours a while back warning people about preventing abrasion damage to the smuggler by applying protective tape to a particular location. I don't remember what it was that you posted and don't seem to be able to find it now. I haven't noticed any damage to mine, but wanted to check this location that you had mentioned to prevent any future damage.
Can you explain this again please? Or link to your previous post about it.

This particular installation of mine might not be a good idea for folks who ride 2-up a lot, because the passenger's foot might rub up against the connector.
I came across this post while looking for the above information on the smuggler. I thought I would offer an alternate location to prevent interference with the passenger's foot.
I installed a power port on the opposite side of the bike for this reason. The left side cover is recessed to fit in around the preload adjuster knob. This allows a power port to be recessed as well and out of the way. Another benefit is that it has no effect on removing the right side cover to access the battery. There is plenty of room to run the wires in front of the rear fender.

1628698057670.jpeg

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
STOC #
Hi Andrew:

Here is a photo showing the two locations where paint abrades on the Smuggler when the lid is fully opened. To prevent further abrasion, I just put some electrical tape over the paint where the two parts make contact. If your bike is a different colour than black, you could get a small piece of clear paint protection film from any body shop or place that puts plastic stick-on film on the front of cars (to minimize rock chips) and apply it to one or both of the locations.

Your power port location is clever, thanks for sharing that idea.

Michael

Smuggler - Preventing Paint Abrasion
Corbin Smuggler.jpg

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
Thanks Micheal.
Fortunately, I don't seem to have that interference on mine.

Maybe a case of adjusting the hinge as @Jevers posted earlier today on another thread.
I have a Smuggler that came with my bike when I bought it. It was the wrong color so I "painted" it with a removable product. I didn't realize that the hinge is adjustable until I opened up the lid and promptly " removed " some of the paint! I loosened up the screws and got it so it doesn't rub anymore.

Top Bottom