Need to extend screen

Hi all. I need to extend the screen of my 1999 ST1100. I know there are larger screens available but is there anything that can be 'added' to increase the height?

I have seen some screens with what looks like an attachment leaving a small gap between the surfaces which I assume creates a venturi effect.

Any ideas or info is gratefully received.

I've actually tried adding an attachment to my bike's screen before. It created a small gap and helped with the wind pressure. It wasn't a perfect solution, but it did make a noticeable difference in reducing the wind hitting my face. Just make sure to find one that's compatible with your bike model and give it a shot.

Puig do a nice flip, either screw or clip mount. Not cheap.
Also MRA do a two piece screen. The MRA works well hut the Puig would probably provide more adjustability.
I had a ride in your part of the world in 2022, just in the North this time with some time in Porto.
Upt.

I used one of the eBay cheapies. It works fine and they come in 2 widths. I used the larger one on the STs and a smaller one on the SWing (used to be on the ST until I bought the wider one). I have used Laminar lips in the past and they work well enough but have had them blow off in the cold weather with a large truck passing me in the other direction (I guess a lot of air compression then vacuum as they pass me). I usually set them up so that they are more or less flush against the existing shield (add maybe 1 to 1.5” above the windshield so it makes a nice pocket of non turbulent air to hide behind). This also means the arms of the extension are in a folded position (you’ll see what I mean if you get one).

IMG_5189.jpeg

IMG_5153.jpeg

IMG_5154.jpeg

They’re set in position and I don’t mess with them. Plus, I’m still looking over the shield and not through it, which I prefer vs a much taller shield.

Last edited:
Gave such a thingy a try on last year's Norway run, can't deal with European speed limits though, means the "joints" fold down >120kph/75mph, leaving the lower edge rubbing on my Secdem screen...
And frankly, it didn't do much on reducing wind noise at motorway speeds to begin with... removed it after two days/once we reached the ferry port at Gdansk/Poland...
Turned out that the bare Secdem screen was more silent and caused less buffeting to begin with...

Also keep the increased stress due the drag of taller screens in mind; cracked garnish screen, pulled well-nuts...

I have the large one on my VFR1200X Crosstourer and it hasn't moved despite doing speeds higher than Martin mentions. It was roughly the equivalent of $11 US with free shipping from a certain Chinese website.

20220209_133423.jpg

Back
Top Bottom