New bike, terrible noise

fitzgerb

Site Supporter
Got a 2004 bike of FBMP with 5k miles. Didn't run. It was a 1500 risk and I think I know why. Had to rebuild the fuel pump and Lower tank was very rusty. Finally started today and initially sounded great. Second start up, got a rod knock. Not sure my best course of action. Would love some honest feedback and or help. I don't see an option to attach a video. Spark plugs were bad as well.

Attachments

Sidekick

Save Ukraine Stop War!
Bike
ST1300A '05
STOC #
Did you give a look under the main gas tank?
Air filter, gas/vacuum hoses, wiring, a lot of things could go bad after sitting for so many years. Especially rodents building nest. When you say a "rod knock" do you mean like a broken rod or a misfire?
I have never heard stories about a broken rod on a ST and looking at your spark plug photo, I could guess a lot of scenarios but all far from a broken engine :)

pull each plug one at a time and start it on three cylinders and listen to figure out what rod is knocking, the sound should change

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
5k miles?!
That's mixing it up with some of the·lowest I can recall.
New fluids and a few replacement parts should yield a very nice ride... just remember there's no such thing as a free kitten.
Welcome to the cozy campfire, we'll help you get it sorted.

Bike
2010 ST1300
A 20 year old bike with 5,000 miles? Outstanding! I think you are in for some preventative maintenance. Have a look at this thread:

Been hanging around here for a few years, and I cannot remember* anyone ever posting a rod knock. Whatever else might go wrong with these bikes, they got the basic engine/transmission right. I would suggest you grab a cheap Harbor Fright stethoscope and go over the engine with the fairing off to localize the noise. The clutch rattles and is noisy and that would be my first guess.

*Yes, I am getting older (most of us are, and those that are not, don't remember too well) but my memory is not that bad...yet.

OP
OP
fitzgerb

fitzgerb

Site Supporter
Appreciate all the input! Fresh oil change, sight glass level is good. Checked under airbox for any signs of rodent. Nothing. Thought maybe the odometer was just wrong but the date code on the tires is 4803.

when you say pull each plug, does that mean the actual plug or just the coil pack?

OP
OP
fitzgerb

fitzgerb

Site Supporter
A 20 year old bike with 5,000 miles? Outstanding! I think you are in for some preventative maintenance. Have a look at this thread:

Been hanging around here for a few years, and I cannot remember* anyone ever posting a rod knock. Whatever else might go wrong with these bikes, they got the basic engine/transmission right. I would suggest you grab a cheap Harbor Fright stethoscope and go over the engine with the fairing off to localize the noise. The clutch rattles and is noisy and that would be my first guess.

*Yes, I am getting older (most of us are, and those that are not, don't remember too well) but my memory is not that bad...yet.
Thanks for the help. Sounds like middle left. Check out the YouTube video. While I was waiting to de-rust the tank, I changed the rear drive, clutch fluid, brake fluid, air filter, oil and oil filter. It has a new battery. Wish I would have waited now since this might be a bust.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
I'm sure Larry ( @Igofar - resident guru) could shed some light on what it could be. I picked up a 2005 that a person managed to lose the oil out of, and it sounds much worse than that!

If you only paid $1,500 for it, you won't lose too much if you part it out.

OP
OP
fitzgerb

fitzgerb

Site Supporter
I'm sure Larry ( @Igofar - resident guru) could shed some light on what it could be. I picked up a 2005 that a person managed to lose the oil out of, and it sounds much worse than that!

If you only paid $1,500 for it, you won't lose too much if you part it out.
Did you end up parting your bike out? Did it sound like mine? When shifting into second it's very harsh. Maybe it's the trans making all that noise.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
See if the fan is hitting something, also maybe cam chain tensioner

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
Thought maybe the odometer was just wrong but the date code on the tires is 4803.
Yikes! They're old enough to drink! I hope you don't intend to ride on them.

when you say pull each plug, does that mean the actual plug or just the coil pack?
That means to remove the spark plugs themselves from the engine.

Top Bottom