New Goldwing

Bike
2009 ST1300
STOC #
Interesting question, only because ... "is that a piece of decisive criteria" for buying one?
A curiosity really. I am thinking about gas fill ups. I always put my ST1300 on the center stand to get the most fuel in it and not spill. Was thinking about the same for the Goldwing and just wondered.
John

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
I always put my ST1300 on the center stand to get the most fuel in it and not spill.
I stay on the bike when I fill up. I lean the bike on the side stand, but, if, and only if I'm riding farther than straight home, I'll stand the bike up with my legs, and wiggle it a bit to really top it off. Then I reset the trip-meter.

OP
OP
Kevcules

Kevcules

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300
I "side stand fill up" always. If you overfill the tank and fuel gets diverted/drained to the fuel smog cannister, it will ruin it.

Bulitt

Flori-Duh-Man
Bike
1200GS, 18 Wing DCT
I saw a new wing at my dealership today. I like the newer and smaller look. I'm not a fan of black, but it sure did look nice. Too bad I would have to sell my house to afford to buy one!
I saw a 2018 white tour DCT, low miles on Facebook Marketplace today for $16k even. That is a bargain. If interested, I am sure you could find it by doing a search easily.

Bike
2010 ST1300
Why is it easier? The ST is easy, once you know the technique.
Easy is relative. I knew the technique, but it was never easy for me to rock the bike backward and lift it on to the stand while pushing down on the center stand arm. I was always able to do it, but I would never have said it was easy. The technique made it easier.

Bike
2010 ST1300
Side stand or center stand fillup, I think you can overfill the tank in either position with a bit of persistence. All you have to do is eyeball the gas level as you fill it and stop at the ring below the cap (well, on the ST, I have never looked inside a GW's gas tank).

Bike
2018 GL1800 Airbag
STOC #
64 is old enough. At 74 I'll probably be like Tewster2 and graduate to a Honda Cub.

But I have to say the Wing is very easy to handle. The forward and backwards walking speed transmission reduce the amount of grunt needed to turn it around in the garage and parking lot. And Saturday before last I did my first successful feet up uturn! It steers very well at low speeds, unlike my 08.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
64 is old enough. At 74 I'll probably be like Tewster2 and graduate to a Honda Cub.

But I have to say the Wing is very easy to handle. The forward and backwards walking speed transmission reduce the amount of grunt needed to turn it around in the garage and parking lot. And Saturday before last I did my first successful feet up uturn! It steers very well at low speeds, unlike my 08.
I think slow speed turns are 95% mental. The rest is practice. I have no problem with circles, 8s and U turns on my 2006. I didn't have any problems on the 2018s I've ridden either.

Bulitt

Flori-Duh-Man
Bike
1200GS, 18 Wing DCT
I think slow speed turns are 95% mental. The rest is practice. I have no problem with circles, 8s and U turns on my 2006. I didn't have any problems on the 2018s I've ridden either.
I had a couple of the older wings and now the newer one. I can tell you first hand, doing a u-turn on a tight two lane is WAY easier on the newer smaller wing. You are right, it takes a lot of practice to do it right and even with practice I never was very good at it with the bigger wing, especially with a passenger.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I had a couple of the older wings and now the newer one. I can tell you first hand, doing a u-turn on a tight two lane is WAY easier on the newer smaller wing. You are right, it takes a lot of practice to do it right and even with practice I never was very good at it with the bigger wing, especially with a passenger.
I still disagree there’s much difference. When I was able to take a 2018 home every weekend I was able to ride both gen bikes back to back and did so many times.

Bulitt

Flori-Duh-Man
Bike
1200GS, 18 Wing DCT
I still disagree there’s much difference. When I was able to take a 2018 home every weekend I was able to ride both gen bikes back to back and did so many times.
That only proves you are a better rider than me.....:biggrin::thumb:

Top Bottom