New iPhone 14 with satellite communications

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Sounds pretty much the same as instructions from SPOT or InReach
I'm not familiar with either of those devices but I'd expect as much.

When using a satellite phone you must realize you are communicating with a satellite hundreds of miles in orbit. The satellite signal must go up to one of the satellites and then the signal must go down to a ground station where it is then delivered to the call destination. For you to accomplish this with Globalstar or Iridium satellite phones you must be outdoors or have an external antenna outdoors with at least 80% view of the sky.
https://globalcomsatphone.com/the-dos-and/

So apparently you're not much better of with an actual SAT phone though you can carry on a conversation.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
According to the Apple forum, satellite connectivity is free for two years to new iPhone 14 buyers, then there is a charge for connectivity. The price for this service has not been announced.
Satellite usage is limited to emergency usage, and requires the user to be outside, with a clear view of the sky, and the user to “aim” the phone to get a signal. The phone asks questions, and then sends a text ( compressed) to a land station, where it is routed to the appropriate emergency authority.
That was covered in the Apple Event presentation and my second thought was what kind of surprise would I get when the company Apple selected says "Time's up!"

Any SAT phone users out in here? Is SAT service like cell service in that there are different carriers from which you can choose?

drrod

Site Supporter
Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
Looks like Apple is going with Globestar (same as Spot) but seems it is not locked in yet.
1662769052226.png
Interesting in that Globalstar (a GEO system)does not have the same global coverage as the Iridium system (a LEO system) used by InReach and most sat phones especially in the higher latitudes.

OP
OP
bdalameda

bdalameda

PaleoCyclist
Bike
Africa Twin
Looks like Apple is going with Globestar (same as Spot) but seems it is not locked in yet.
1662769052226.png
Interesting in that Globalstar (a GEO system)does not have the same global coverage as the Iridium system (a LEO system) used by InReach and most sat phones especially in the higher latitudes.
Maybe I will stick with my InReach device. It has proven to me to have better coverage in actual use than my SPOT devices.

OP
OP
bdalameda

bdalameda

PaleoCyclist
Bike
Africa Twin
Seems a sat phone would use a lot more battery power transmitting that far.
The SPOT and InReach devices are texting devices mainly and not actual satellite phones, though both companies do make dedicated satellite voice phones. The Apple phone on satellite is a texting device so no where near as much power is used communicating via satellite.

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
STOC #
It is interesting to note that iPhone 14s (both models) that are sold in the USA will not have a SIM tray - only multiple eSIM capability - but the same iPhone 14s sold in Canada will have one conventional SIM tray and also eSIM capability.

For me, having a conventional physical SIM tray is essential, because whilst eSIMs adaptation is becoming common amongst American GSM providers, eSIM capability is not widespread in other countries, especially lesser developed countries. Hence the ability to buy a physical SIM locally when travelling and stuff that physical SIM into the tray is a "Must Have" feature for me.

I doubt that I will upgrade - right now, I have an iPhone 10 that has eSIM capability (that I use for my home carrier in Canada) and a physical SIM slot, which I am currently using with an Orange France SIM card while I am touring Europe. That phone meets my needs.

Michael

drrod

Site Supporter
Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
Here is a pretty cool interactive site. If you click on a spot on the map, it will show you which satellites you can communicate with. It also shows where the satellites are in real time.

Here is another site that you can use to locate satellites. If you use the search functions, you can isolate which ones you are looking for.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
FYI: The satellite calling feature for iPhones 14 has gone live today. The "calling" feature isn't a true 2-way telephone call as with a traditional SAT phone but more like a SPOT device. The service on the Globalstar network is free for two years and who knows after that.

Here's a short video on it's use.

Cnet as a lengthy article on the subject in any non-haters are interested. If not already, I would expect that something will exist for Android users. Competition is good. The SAT feature alone may not be a consideration to upgrade but if you are of a mind something like this might save the cost of a SPOT-type device.

The iPhone 14 has a demo mode if you don't know a 911 receiver who won't fret when you're making a test call.

Last edited:
Top Bottom