New KLR

OP
OP
Upt' North
Bike
VStrom 650
In this spec 480 lbs and $8000.00 apparently.
Although US bound not coming to UK, I wonder if its not Euro5.
Upt'North.

wbgva_roadkill

Site Supporter
Bike
2013 BMW K1600GTL
It's a shame they added weight. I thought my 2007 Gen1 was way too heavy for trail riding and just ok for gravel roads. Guess trail riding isn't the KLR's design purpose, I'm thinking it's a cheap BMW GS. The FI and braking improvements are certainly welcome improvements.

Bike
R1200rt
It's a shame they added weight. I thought my 2007 Gen1 was way too heavy for trail riding and just ok for gravel roads. Guess trail riding isn't the KLR's design purpose, I'm thinking it's a cheap BMW GS. The FI and braking improvements are certainly welcome improvements.
thats like a feather compared to to a K1600

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Typical ploy.....discontinued model, so dealers could clear out all the old stock, then bring it back from the dead.
After what Kawasaki did with their repair/warranty on the defective run that they had (egg shaped bores) they only offered to bore the engine out as big as possible, as a one time fix, and if I remember correctly, offer a 1 year warranty, and wish the owner well etc.
I would not trust the new KLR's.
I wonder how many folks remember the damaged/defective ones they sold that only got about 800 miles to a quart of oil :rolleyes:
The only KLR I would like to own was the Military version (also sold to the public) by a company in Victorville California, that used a Diesel engine.
I got to ride one many years back, and the look on folks faces, at the sound it made idling, would have been worth owning.....except for the $20k dollar price tag.Hayes-DT-4-5-1-5735.jpeg

Kevcules

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300
The 2004 A-18 was one tough bike. It never burned a drop of synthetic Amsoil for the 10 years I had it. :) They were supposed to be a dual sport bike, but trying to go in the mud was difficult. Trying to pick it up in the mud was near impossible. Dirt roads and trails, no problem. I ended up getting 90/10 street tires and only drove on the street.
As far as reliability, dependability and very very little maintenance required, the best bike I've owned to date.

Bike
2010 ST1300
The only KLR I would like to own was the Military version (also sold to the public) by a company in Victorville California, that used a Diesel engine.
Any idea what that bike weighed?

Bike
2006 ST1300
STOC #
I have a gen 2. The weight was a mistake based on what I like doing with my KLR. I suspect their focus groups determined there are more latte sipping gravel riders in this market than people who actually want to have any adventures on their adventure bike.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
I've had 4 KLR's, the first one being back when it was a 600 ;)
I never ended up keeping them more than a year for various reasons.
on my 2000 model, the factory chain snapped on the highway within the 600 mile break in period, and the side cowl blew off on the way home from the dealership :rofl1:
On three of them, the do hickey was found damaged or completely broken (as with several other KLR's I've opened up for folks) etc.
On two of them, the side stand switches had to be removed or you risked being stranded on the side of the road some place far far from home etc.
The suspension both front and rear sucked on all of them.
The instruments leaked if you rode them much in the rain, and fogged up.
Fasteners would rust, faster than other brands, and the rear fender would melt near the tip of the exhaust pipe, as well as the turn signal, etc.
I personally never had much luck with one no matter how much I wanted to like them (enough to purchase 4).
My CRF250L has done several 400 mile days, taken me at 65 mph on the highway (in the desert) for 8 straight hours, clawed its way up single tracks that only a real dirt bike should have been on, and has been stone reliable so far.
I would get on this bike tomorrow and head cross country without any concern what so ever.
On a Kawasaki KLR of any vintage, I would not venture very far from home, or off the pavement etc.
While I've had several "adventure bikes" from BMW singles, GS boxers, triumph's, and large Honda singles, none of them were as much fun as this little Honda so far.
Kawasaki would have been much better off to follow the other brands and make a smaller, lighter, bike rather than trying to keep this heavy street/gravel road only adventure bike etc.
But then again, making them flat black, digital camo, and swoopy plastic that will brake the first time you fall over at starbuck's, now that will sell bikes :rofl1:
Flame suit on....bring it :oilleak:

Reactions: Djc
Bike
Honda ST1300 Pan-Eur
I've had 4 KLR's, the first one being back when it was a 600 ;)
I never ended up keeping them more than a year for various reasons.
on my 2000 model, the factory chain snapped on the highway within the 600 mile break in period, and the side cowl blew off on the way home from the dealership :rofl1:
On three of them, the do hickey was found damaged or completely broken (as with several other KLR's I've opened up for folks) etc.
On two of them, the side stand switches had to be removed or you risked being stranded on the side of the road some place far far from home etc.
The suspension both front and rear sucked on all of them.
The instruments leaked if you rode them much in the rain, and fogged up.
Fasteners would rust, faster than other brands, and the rear fender would melt near the tip of the exhaust pipe, as well as the turn signal, etc.
:cool:Apart from all that there's nothing wrong with them.:mytruck:

Bike
2006 ST1300
STOC #
There are a LOT of hardcore KLR owners who would disagree with that assessment.
Well, those people obviously don't affect Kawasaki marketing decisions. Moreover, it doesn't really matter if, anecdotally, there are some hard core KLR riders. What matters to Kawasaki is selling a lot of bikes. Guess what? Most people aren't hard core.

Speaking of hardcore KLR riders, there's a local guy who has ridden his KLR to Enduro races, changed his tires there, raced, changed them back, and then rode home. That's commitment to the hard core ethic right there.

bdalameda

PaleoCyclist
Bike
Africa Twin
I loved my old KLR and wish I still had it. It was a 2008, the year of the oil burner. Mine never burned oil (caused by a change in the piston design and oil scraper ring, not oval bores) but I bored mine out to a 685 with a forged piston, fixed the doohickey rejetted it and put a Leo Vince quiet pipe on it. This bike took me from California to Wyoming and all over Montana several times. It could cruise at 80 mph all day and never let me down. When I sold it it had 56K miles on it and ran perfectly. I don't miss it as much now as I have an Africa Twin. The KLR was a simple machine, old fashioned in many ways - did nothing exceptionally well but would do a lot of things OK. It was a fun bike. I think the addition of the fuel injection would be a great improvement. Going over many passes at over 10K feet would make the old girl wheeze a bit but fuel injection would help. I think KLR's have traveled around the world more times than any other bike.

IMG_1833.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom