New Speaker Boxes from The Netherlands

Bike
'07STA
STOC #
Today my speaker boxes arrived from the Netherlands from WWW.CMSNL.com .I have old speakers but I want to put new ones inside the boxes so it's done. Can some one direct me to a small waterproof amp and waterproof speakers? I would like to put the amp under the upper cowl under the plastic below the windshield. any other suggestion?

I ordered them on Oct 23 and came on Oct 30th but UPS really sucks. Got them today

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
Couple of threads on installing speakers and amps.
iirc Polk 4" marine speaker fits that box.
some folks put the amp in the left locking pocket.

OP
OP
Tdinova
Bike
'07STA
STOC #
Couple of threads on installing speakers and amps.
iirc Polk 4" marine speaker fits that box.
some folks put the amp in the left locking pocket.
Thanks for the reply. I will have to drill holes to put the amp in the left pocket and I'm not the fussy about doing that. Making the holes is no problem but holes will be there + I will lose my storage

OP
OP
Tdinova
Bike
'07STA
STOC #
Maybe something like jensen JHD910 or something with a remote head.
I have the JHD 910 which works great with the headset, but that radio in my ears all day is a killer. That's why I going external speakers.

I bought a 500w amp off ebay during the weekend, speakers I can get locally I hope if not ebay again. Here is a pic of the amp I got coming.

Attachments

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tdinova
Bike
'07STA
STOC #
My amp came in earlier this week. I gotta track down some polk 4" speakers. The amp inside the left pocket. hmmm. I may put it under my rear seat or upfront some where. The amp is suppose to be water proof.

Attachments

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
I have the JHD 910 which works great with the headset, but that radio in my ears all day is a killer. That's why I going external speakers.

I bought a 500w amp off ebay during the weekend, speakers I can get locally I hope if not ebay again. Here is a pic of the amp I got coming.
500 watt amp and you have a 650 watt alternator? Be careful about using the radio without the ST running.

A 500 watt amp running at 100% power and efficiency requires a 40 amp fuse.

OP
OP
Tdinova
Bike
'07STA
STOC #
Hopefully someone will look and comment on this.

Did anyone connect the jensen JHD910 to speakers without the amp and was it loud enough?

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
LOL
That would be 500watts peak music power. Not 500 watts power.
Since it's a marketing speak there's no way to convert it to actual power delivered or consumed. Usually actual non snake oil power ball park is 1/5 or 1/6 of that advertised nonsense.

If it came with a fuse it's probably 5 or maybe 10 amp.
Which isn't to say it won't clobber the battery in short order if the bike is not running.

Last edited:
Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
Probably a typo I'd guess 5 not 0.5 amps.

As to you're real question is the 6 watts per channel or what ever it is from the Jenson enough.
Try it out without the amp and then with the amp in the garage before you button it up and see.

OP
OP
Tdinova
Bike
'07STA
STOC #
Probably a typo I'd guess 5 not 0.5 amps.

As to you're real question is the 6 watts per channel or what ever it is from the Jenson enough.
Try it out without the amp and then with the amp in the garage before you button it up and see.
Thanks for the reply. I don't have the speakers. I am waiting until after xmas to buy, I have alllllll winter to play with it . I should put heat in my garage because some days it's -20c other days it's 15c. Gotta love that Gulf steam effect.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
LOL
That would be 500watts peak music power. Not 500 watts power.
Since it's a marketing speak there's no way to convert it to actual power delivered or consumed. Usually actual non snake oil power ball park is 1/5 or 1/6 of that advertised nonsense.
Well.. it was also me being part smart ads... a 500 watt amplifier rarely is. Is it 500 watt peak, or 500 watt continuous? To be a 500 watt continuous you would need at a minimum 560 watts coming in (the most efficient class D amps run about 90%). But as far as watts being watts, well, a watt is a watt. Wither it's DC, AC, RF or audio freqs.

So just be aware of marketing hype, look for the true continuous output and go by that. The peak watts can be just about whatever they want, even obtained by a fatal signal to the amp. As long as it can put it out for millisecond long enough to be measured, it qualifies. So what if the amp is smoking afterwards.

But do take heed about using the amp when the bike is off. At 5 amps pull (about 60 watts continuous which is fairly loud) that is just shy of the equivalent of your headlights being on, when you add in the CD/MP3/Receiver.

OP
OP
Tdinova
Bike
'07STA
STOC #
Here are the speakers (kicker 40) / amp installed. I highly recommend buying the screws that holds the speakers and boxes from Honda overseas. It would have saved me 4-5 hours of labor. The amp sounds great but I am having a problem finding a good location for the amp without making a hole in my pockets. I also want to connect a waterproof on/off switch on the amp.

The weather was mild and 9c today. We had 4 inches of snow 3 days ago but the good old rain washed it away.

http://youtu.be/7SlRpA5w9C4

Bike
2003 ST1300
STOC #
Here are the speakers (kicker 40) / amp installed. I highly recommend buying the screws that holds the speakers and boxes from Honda overseas. It would have saved me 4-5 hours of labor.
I'm trying to follow your advice here, but I cannot find part numbers for these screws/nuts. I did find a diagram showing the speaker bolts and nuts as items #6 and #7, and while either 4 or 8 of each are needed, there are also items #8 and #9 (2 of each). Can you point me to a diagram that lists them? The shipping is already so high for the 2 boxes that I might as well order the screws too. Maybe you could elaborate on why they would be so much easier to use? Thanks!

OP
OP
Tdinova
Bike
'07STA
STOC #
You could contact the seller asking them for the part number. And yes shipping/brokerage fees/delivery charges did drive the price way up. I thought that I could use screws/bolts from here so I never looked for the numbers. I seen that someone on here used speed nuts but the speakers I bought took up the entire space, there was even a bump on the speakers that took the entire hole which restricted the speed nuts. Also the holes on the box goes to the edge of the box. The plastic is thicker than normal. Luckily I have a wire feed welder and welded metal on 5mm bolts acting as stoppers on the inside, then used a locking washer on the outside of the box to hold the bolt in place. The lock washer is made to push on the bolt and hard to remove (see photo). Also the magnet on the speaker was just over 3 inches in diameter. So buy a speaker with a smaller magnet.

Hope this helps.

Attachments

Bike
2003 ST1300
STOC #
Thanks. I may just start out by trying one of the Firehouse Technologies iTube 2.0 thingies. Would be a whole lot simpler and I really didn't use the radio on my FLHTCI that much....I just thought it would be nice to have a little noise available. Anybody tried these things? Most of the reviews are 4 or 5 stars on Amazon, and someone even mentioned that the "quieter" ST1100s and ST1300s would be a good match. http://www.amazon.com/Firehouse-Technology-2-0-Motorcycle-Scooter/dp/B005ITRJJI

OP
OP
Tdinova
Bike
'07STA
STOC #
I did some looking this evening for the amp location. Looks like on top of the windshield mechanism. I have to remove the upper cowl and silicone it in. Gotta find a waterproof 12v illuminated switch to turn off the amp. glad it is winter. I forgot to add, this maybe all useless if my motorcycle insurance hit the roof next year where I had my slow oops in San Francisco in August. I pay $575 per year for full coverage. Total bill for that was $6500 ouch.

OP
OP
Tdinova
Bike
'07STA
STOC #
Christmas Eve is always a great time here EXCEPT if you want to work on your motorcycle. The amp will not fit on top of the mechanism, but below is starting to look promising.

Have a Merry Christmas to all and may your gas tank never run empty.

Top Bottom