New Speaker Boxes from The Netherlands

Bike
2001 ST1100
STOC #
I was wondering about the watt raiting. I am running about 900 watts in my Murano and I have a 60 AMP fuse at the battery and 20 AMP fuse at the amps.

OP
OP
Tdinova
Bike
'07STA
STOC #
My amp calls for a 5 amp fuse. I don't know much about Watts/amps. I did some searching on the web to get info. My amp has a knob to turn it up and down. About 1/2 way seems to work well. I have an amp meter so I am going to connect it in series with the power wire to see what amps it does draw *(if that is correct, someone correct me if I'm wrong). But that will have to wait until at least Dec 27 or so. Christmas is slowing me down which is a good thing, family comes first.

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
You won't see much that is meaningful with the multimeter.
The current draw will vary with the music.

Power = volts x amps.
Assuming 12 voltish source at 5 amps your looking at 60watts total power.
Somewhere about 25watts rms or less per channel stereo.

Watts in = watts out + heat.
So watts out delivered to the load is less than watts in.

Since nobody listens to a sine wave at full blast the peak power out may exceed this for a short period of time without violating physics since most of the time for music the power out is less. This is where marketing takes the ball and runs (WAY out of bounds) and prints 200watt "peak music power" or some other made up market speak on the outside of the box.

For a thousandth of a second your 60watt amp is producing 200watts, mostly distortion and is a great tweeter killing device. Speakers are rated for music which doesn't have a lot of high frequency power, amp distortion has a lot of high frequency power.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tdinova
Bike
'07STA
STOC #
You won't see much that is meaningful with the multimeter.
The current draw will vary with the music.

Power = volts x amps.
Assuming 12 voltish source at 5 amps your looking at 60watts total power.
Somewhere about 25watts rms or less per channel stereo.

Watts in = watts out + heat.
So watts out delivered to the load is less than watts in.

Since nobody listens to a sine wave at full blast the peak power out may exceed this for a short period of time without violating physics since most of the time for music the power out is less. This is where marketing takes the ball and runs (WAY out of bounds) and prints 200watt "peak music power" or some other made up market speak on the outside of the box.

For a thousandth of a second your 60watt amp is producing 200watts, mostly distortion and is a great tweeter killing device. Speakers are rated for music which doesn't have a lot of high frequency power, amp distortion has a lot of high frequency power.

Lots of info .. Thanks
I forgot a have a multi-meter with the clamp that reads amps..

The answer is 2.7 dc amps with the adjustable knob all the way up or down.
I put the amp below the windshield mech. I tie wrapped and used silicone to hold it in place

I have to buy a illuminated toggle switch and mount that on the right pocket near the 12v power outlet to turn off the amp when not in use.

Sounds pretty good. Come on spring. Usually the 1st of May. hmm that's only 4months 5days

Attachments

Bike
2003 ST1300
STOC #
OK. I have been trying different methods of mounting some 100 watt Pyle waterproof Marine speakers in my 2003 ST1300. I am about ready to give up my tinkering and spend the $56 to get the Honda boxes shipped. They look like they mount on the sides of the windshield support brackets?

Before I do, I note that some of the websites label the part numbers as fitting the 2006-2008 STs. Can anyone assure me that they will fit into my 2003? Mine is not the ABS model, and there is no windshield adjusting mechanism to get in my way. Thanks for any comments...

OP
OP
Tdinova
Bike
'07STA
STOC #
OK. I have been trying different methods of mounting some 100 watt Pyle waterproof Marine speakers in my 2003 ST1300. I am about ready to give up my tinkering and spend the $56 to get the Honda boxes shipped. They look like they mount on the sides of the windshield support brackets?

Before I do, I note that some of the websites label the part numbers as fitting the 2006-2008 STs. Can anyone assure me that they will fit into my 2003? Mine is not the ABS model, and there is no windshield adjusting mechanism to get in my way. Thanks for any comments...
Yes boxes does make it much easier + you should order the proper fasteners to connect the boxes and speakers unless you want to screw around some more.
This is my opinion.

I have the JENSEN Heavy Duty MINI Waterproof AM/FM/WB Radio which has 3.5mm outlet + 4 wires to connect to the speakers. My amp I bought from China has only RCA inputs and wires out so I have to order a HI/LO convertor to change my radio output wires to RCA outputs which is $20 or so.

This $150 project has turned out to be speakers 105 + boxes 43 euro + 15 UPS + switch for amp $20 + hardware for speakers $20 + hours of frustration. So ya I'll be glad to drive next summer if my insurance is not through the roof.

I pretty sure all the ST's has the same hookup. Contact the seller and ask them about your year. Gotta love modern technology.

Bike
2003 ST1300
STOC #
I have the JENSEN Heavy Duty MINI Waterproof AM/FM/WB Radio which has 3.5mm outlet + 4 wires to connect to the speakers. My amp I bought from China has only RCA inputs and wires out so I have to order a HI/LO convertor to change my radio output wires to RCA outputs which is $20 or so.
Save some bucks: http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-Inch-3-5mm-Female-to-2-RCA-Male-Stereo-Audio-Sound-AV-Cable-Black-for-TV-VCR-/170908897518?pt=US_Audio_Cables_Adapters&hash=item27caf6d0ee

Bike
2003 ST1300
STOC #
I bought inexpensive Pyle 4" waterproof speakers and finally found a spot to securely mount them. I gave up on using angle brackets and instead found 3 points to mount them in the box area with multiple zip-ties, at least for now. Got them mounted tonight and with just the dash and front cowl on, they sound great in the garage.

I ran the remote sensor up through the vent up above the right speaker grill area, and held the remote in position atop the clutch reservoir. I think it is gonna work out. Mine is also a Chinese amp (Kinter MA-700) and has the same RCA inputs for the MP-3. Tomorrow I get to tear apart the right box and add another switch for the Amp and a 12-volt outlet for the GPS. Glad it is too cold to ride and rain is predicted.

OP
OP
Tdinova
Bike
'07STA
STOC #
Went to Halifax today to try and find the hi/lo converter for my project. I found one, came home and temporarily installed it. It sounds pretty darn GREAT. Now where to mount it. :( I held it up behind my left speaker box to see if it could fit... IT DOES. ;) This week will be the (hopefully) reinstall the hardware and try. EXCEPT there is lots of snow and salt.. boo :( ;) -1.4c right now 9:30pm

Attachments

OP
OP
Tdinova
Bike
'07STA
STOC #
All back together at 8 pm tonight. Temp is 5.4c with lots of ice around. Movie of radio tomorrow night if all goes as planned. Bring on spring only 13-15 weeks away.

OP
OP
Tdinova
Bike
'07STA
STOC #
Went for my 1st bike ride of 2013. I went about 6 miles or 12 km, 12c 56f. The speakers sounds great. I had to lower the bass and up the treble abit. Rain all week :(

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Bless the Gods of Weather for your snow. It gave you the time to perfect your sound system. Play the appropriate Carly Simon song while you wait for a thaw.

Bike
2003 ST1300
My ST1300 came with a Kinter MA-700 FM/Amp but for the life of me I can't figure out how to program it or put it in 'external input' mode.
When I hit the 'mode' button it goes from FM to nothing...regardless of what I plug into the external input plug.
I have the "one sheet" manual that is on the internet but does anyone have a set of directions or a manual they can upload/send?
Thanks in advance!

Top Bottom