New ST for me - Yamaha ST that is... (Super Tenere) ;-)

Paul, she sure looks like a beauty and a bike that I wouldn't mind having in my stable. My problem is there isn't enough "good" roads around here to justify right now.

As a side note, are you still doing that primal diet regimen???

Hi Scooter,

Yes, I'm still primal. I'm down 100 lbs from starting in August of 2012. It took me one year to lose that 100 and now I'm working on 30 more an giving myself a year to do that. Bottom line is cutting carbs has stopped the constant craving I had for sweet stuff. I wish I'd known earlier how easy this was going to be. It's changed my life. No more high blood pressure, no more pre-diabeties indicators. My doctor was amazed and said I could stop all my meds and keep doing what I was doing.

I'm coming to Sheboygan this summer to sail in the Thistle Nationals there. Just the van and the boat though, no room for a motorcycle.

;-) Paul

Yes, I'm still primal. I'm down 100 lbs from starting in August of 2012. It took me one year to lose that 100 and now I'm working on 30 more an giving myself a year to do that. Bottom line is cutting carbs has stopped the constant craving I had for sweet stuff. I wish I'd known earlier how easy this was going to be. It's changed my life. No more high blood pressure, no more pre-diabeties indicators. My doctor was amazed and said I could stop all my meds and keep doing what I was doing.

That's fantastic. I really need to try to get back into that myself but I love my sweets and carbs too much. You were the one to mention MDA back in Terry's Tub-of Goo thread. You should think about submitting your story for their Primal Blueprint Real Life Story that they run every Friday.

Sheboygan is a nice area. I think you will like it. Good luck with the sailing...

Paul,

That bike is looking nice with all the upgrades you have done to it, looks like it should work out great for you. Hey great job on trimming up yourself and finding what it takes to try to stay healthy!! Keep up the good work. :bow1:

It's official. I'm drooling over a super ten now. After getting back on gravel/forest roads on my NC I've rekindled my love of exploring back roads. I'm blessed with a few thousand miles of these type roads in my back yard in both the Ozark and Ouachita National Forests. I look at my RT and my NC in the garage and catch myself thinking "if I could combine these two bikes into one". The logical conclusion is an adventure bike that will check off most of the boxes for me.

Heck, my wife even told me to sell both bikes and get one of those "adventure type thingies.....you'd be happier". I've just gotta figure out how to make it all work out now. It's frustrating when you have your wife's approval and you still have to wait :D However, a ST of a different breed is in my future. Maybe we will meet up at a Tenere gathering sometime.
Mike

I hear you, it's just like boats. You really need a few to cover all the bases. It's hard to have just one. The new 2014 Tenere is out now and it has some nice features like cruise control but that means the current 2012 and 2013 bikes left in dealers are going cheap. They are $11499 out the door now here in Oregon.

You can also buy a 4 year, Yamaha warranty for $419 that gives you 5 years (total), unlimited mileage coverage. The thing I find interesting is that those who now have 40K+ miles on their bikes are still waiting to have something break. The list of failures is very short. This is turning out to be a very reliable bike.

Do consider the cost of upgrades when you think about buying one. For general touring you may not need the crash bars and skid plate and you don't need to buy the most rugged panniers like I did.

Last week I had an FJR chasing me along a nice road along the Clackamas river. We stopped at the ranger station to talk and looking at his bike, I was reminded how nice the fit and finish on that bike was. It looked small next to my Tenere. Just seeing it though made me want one, just like seeing the Honda VFR1200. Sometimes just seeing a beautiful bike makes you want it. My Tenere looks beastly cool too though and I still grin when I go out to the shop and see it there waiting for adventure!

;-) Paul

Congrats on enjoying the bike. I have 3K miles on my '13 in the last two months, and what fun they are. I purchased mine for the same reason, hated passing all those neat forrest roads.

Mark

I do have one question: How is the low end/low speed torque? Can you gimp around pretty slowly without feathering the clutch too much? Ok, that's two questions.
Mike

It's very nice.. in the dirt in Touring mode it crawls nicely... It was tough getting used to the vstrom as you need to give it a lot more throttle to keep from killing it.

Thanks, Mellow. I'm starting the bike reduction process in order to make room in the garage for a S10. Who knows how long it will be but I think it will happen.
Mike

I confess I'm a a lazy biker. I'd just as soon chug around without shifting and the Tenere makes this easy. It pulls well from 2500 and I seem to do most of my riding between 2000-3500. It's very laid back and easy to ride.

;-) Paul

Thought I'd post a couple of photos. I have 4000+ miles now on the Super Tenere. My longest trip (so far...) was down to Yosemite from where I live in Sandy, OR. Rode down comfortably (750 miles), just as comfortable on my ST1100. I did add a seat kit from http://seatconcepts.com for $159. That made a big difference. Rode in an Adventure Rally sponsored by AMA and Yamaha and hit a bunch of dirt roads overlooking Yosemite. The bike did great. For summer fun I've spooned on a set of Kenda Big Blocks. It makes the ST sure footed in all kinds of terrain, especially the gravel logging roads around Mt. Hood where I live. Avg MPG for my Yosemite trip was about 48 mpg. I was looking for gas every 200 miles. No complaints at all, this one is a keeper. The other cool thing is the number of organized rides with other ST owners. At least two events every month between Oregon and Washington, many more if you include California.

P1010473.JPG

IMG_20140526_142058.jpg

+1 to Primal Living :)

I've been primal for close to 2 years, and although I didnt have more than a 5-10 lb loss, I had a tremendous improvement in quality of life. Friends would comment on the "increased energy! You're always alert & ready!" etc

pnelson - Great to hear your Primal story! I second Scooter 's comment about the MDA success story submission, maybe add in a few pics of that beautiful S10 as well in your story!

I think I'm definitely looking at an S10 as the next bike, I'm just going to run my sweet ST1100 for as long as she wants to, then move to the S10. There seems a mass exodus of Sport-Touring riders to the Big Adventure Touring bike group.

Regards,
Vishnu

That's fantastic. I really need to try to get back into that myself but I love my sweets and carbs too much. You were the one to mention MDA back in Terry's Tub-of Goo thread. You should think about submitting your story for their Primal Blueprint Real Life Story that they run every Friday.

Sheboygan is a nice area. I think you will like it. Good luck with the sailing...

Back
Top Bottom