new to me 2006: synthetic or standard oil

Yeah, I know. oil threads, opinions are like...
But, New to me 2006, 19.8K miles, want to do an oil change.
Don't know what PO used. Does it really matter what oil I use? (I have read that some engines don't like to switch back to regular after they had had synthetic oil. My Subaru used more oil after I switched to synthetic, etc.)

Yeah, I know. oil threads, opinions are like...
But, New to me 2006, 19.8K miles, want to do an oil change.
Don't know what PO used. Does it really matter what oil I use? (I have read that some engines don't like to switch back to regular after they had had synthetic oil. My Subaru used more oil after I switched to synthetic, etc.)
Just go with the conventional honda oil or valvoline motorcycle oil. Key thing is to have it changed regularly. Oil filter as well

Rotella T-6 every 10Kmi. Or whatever whenever, according to the factory (10W-30/40 MA) as you like. Just no energy conserving formulations.

:bigpop:

Last edited:
Rotella T-6 every 10mi. Or whatever whenever, according to the factory (10W-30/40 MA) as you like. Just no energy conserving formulations.

:bigpop:
Rotella T-6 every 10mi. Or whatever whenever, according to the factory (10W-30/40 API SG or higher [gasoline engine] MA) as you like. Just no energy conserving formulations.

FIFY

One would think my bike would have already blown up by running HDMO Rotella T6 by now? But she keeps going and going just like the Energizer Bunny!

Always used Mobil1 since new. Never a problem. And the oil is safe to use with an oil bathed clutch too.

I just love oil threads.....:run1:
Yeah, I hesitated to start this thread. To me, the brand of oil makes no difference. I was really trying to see if anyone had experienced any adverse effects from switching back and forth from Syn to Reg oil, since I don't know what is in the bike, but that was mainly stated in the title. While I appreciate all the responses...

I was really trying to see if anyone had experienced any adverse effects from switching back and forth from Syn to Reg oil, since I don't know what is in the bike, but that was mainly stated in the title.
I went with a semi-synthetic bike oil for exactly that reason.

As far as providing a sufficient level of lubrication switching back and forth between mineral and synthetic oils is not an issue and will not cause any harm. As far as I recall from when full synthetic engine oil started becoming more widely used the main issue was the possible dislodging of dirt deposits in the engine. The synthetics at the time had a higher level of detergents and stronger detergents in them than did the mineral oils. Engines run on mineral oils were not as clean as ones run on synthetics. When switching an engine that had been run on mineral oils for considerable mileage to synthetic oil these deposits could be dislodged by the stronger detergents. Deposits could block oil galleries and cause oil starvation related failures. I even remember seeing advice that the switch be made gradually over several oil changes, adding increasing levels of synthetic with every oil change to allow the deposits to be gradually dissolved.

This was when vehicles were equipped with carburated engines and ran dirtier than modern engines do. There is no ST1300 that is old enough that it runs on technology that would result in the engine being dirty enough internally for this to even be a concern unless it was abused- e.g. oil, oil filter and air filter change intervals having been extended to irresponsible lengths for example. Fuel injected computer controlled engines run extremely efficiently and clean and any significant accumulation of deposits on properly running and maintained engines is just not a concern any longer.

At 20,000 miles your engine has not had enough time to accumulate any deposits. Put in your oil of choice that meets the specifications that Honda calls for and go and enjoy yourself accumulating enough miles to need another oil change.

Last edited:
Has anST1300 ever worn out because they ran the wrong oil.........? It a Honda.....just change it a occasionally.....:headbang::bk13:

Is it in a container that says "oil" on it? Are the contents some type of black liquid? Does it, in part, contain dead dinosaurs?

You're ok to use it. Note the fact the ST has a wet clutch, and you'll be fine.

Rotella T-6 every 10mi.
I presume you have shares...

5k mile interval for me.

I bought a jug Rotella T6 a couple days ago. I noticed they now have a T6 15W40. I had to go to Tractor Supply to find T6 5W40. Both say JASO MA on the back.

I get a kick out of my ST's manual. It recommends Honda GN4 or an equivalent oil of the same viscosity and ratings (SG+, MA). They don't even take the opportunity to pimp their own HP4 synthetic blend. Silly rabbits. I'm sure that GN4 will one day kill my ST, but not likely on my watch.

With over 370,000 miles in five different (running) ST1300s, ('05-174,300 mi, '04 - 37,000 mi - [down last four + years due to waterpump], '10 - 88,000 mi, '04 - 50,000 mi and my '12 - 23,000 mi) with no failures due to oil, I think as long as you use a good brand (motorcycle or diesel) oil 15w-40 (I tried the T6 5w-30 and just didn't like it) I really don't think it matters with these engines. They are NEVER over heated/taxed like high rev'ing engines are and therefore will last forever, as long as they have oil in them. The only big concern you should have is that you DON'T using one of those "energy conserving" oils, and your bike's engine WILL be fine!

Oh, and BTW, Justin informs me that the ole '05 now has 188,000 miles and is still running strong!

Run with whatever (motorcycle or diesel) oil 15w-40) oil, you feel like running with!

BTW, I do 5,000 mile oil/filter changes. Easy to remember when it was last done and when the next one is coming up! :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom