New to me 2010 ST1300

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
My eyebrows are raised whenever I see these resorts of 50+ mpg.
As I always track my fillups and miles traveled, my overall average is 42mpg, even on interstate trips. And I'm unaware of any out-of-tune issues, my 2008 has under 30k miles.
Obviously, we all have different riding styles, and I occasionally lean toward the sporty side, except for road trips. Still, unless I'm particularly aggressive with the throttle and gears, 42 is my tank to tank average.
I don't dispute those who record 50 or better, but that's never been my experience, and I don't try to be a hooligan, as that's not this bike's strong suit.

Bike
07 FJR1300
STOC #
As I always track my fillups and miles traveled, my overall average is 42mpg, even on interstate trips. And I'm unaware of any out-of-tune issues, my 2008 has under 30k miles.
Obviously, we all have different riding styles, and I occasionally lean toward the sporty side, except for road trips. Still, unless I'm particularly aggressive with the throttle and gears, 42 is my tank to tank average.
I don't dispute those who record 50 or better, but that's never been my experience, and I don't try to be a hooligan, as that's not this bike's strong suit.
Used to own a 2003 ST1300 I used to get 52mpg always on the highway at 75-80m/h it ran like a champ smooth runner bike always, it got 148,790 miles on her before I crashed her up.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Our speed limits are mostly 75mph, and my personal ST gets 56-58 mpg at those speeds, and that is not from the idiot gauge on the dash, but from measuring the mileage and the gallons etc.
When I slow down to 65 mph on two lane desert roads I’ve gotten as high as mid sixties.
And my bike has over 100,000 miles on her.

OP
OP
Scott
Our speed limits are mostly 75mph, and my personal ST gets 56-58 mpg at those speeds, and that is not from the idiot gauge on the dash, but from measuring the mileage and the gallons etc.
When I slow down to 65 mph on two lane desert roads I’ve gotten as high as mid sixties.
I cleaned out the 5-way tee this morning, it was plugged up, and changed the vacuum lines. Bike Idles better now and no more F1 light at start up.... I filled it up this morning it took 5.18 gallons and kept track of the other gas I added during the last week, went 438 miles on 10.18 gallons, so getting 42mpg so far....

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
So, that's the way I determine mpg. The best way.
I guess I'll have to just put more miles on mine, it's a long way from 27k to 100k+. That kind of gas mileage is what I'd expect from a 500cc bike. My 950 KTM only got 40s for mileage too, but that's a more performance-built motor.
Maybe retiring would help to add the miles... *sigh*

diferg

Dan & Ingrid
Bike
2006 ST 1300
@Sadlsor Like you I average about 42 mpg (on a calm day) or 38 when in FUN mode. I believe the higher Mpg reported by others are accurate. I also believe that altitude and temp have a lot to do with MPG. You and I have half of the happy ST equation (HEAT) the other half is altitude. @Igofar has the total package high altitude and high temp! (plus superior tuning) I have found my st will deliver high 40"s low 50"s with increased altitude and cooler temps (nothing like the high desert). Cant explain why! EDIT Maybe the humidity?

Last edited:

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
That's a reasonable explanation, but I try not to overthink it.
I know we in Birmingham are roughly 1000' ASL, and yes the humidity DOES increase the air density.
Beyond that, I seem to remember the stoichiometric ideal for burning fuel in motors is 14:1, air to fuel ratio. But that was a long time ago.
50mpg may never happen for me, but I still realize twice the mileage on the bike as in the car. So don't get me started on the premium vs. regular price per gallon.
I'm trying to simplify my life, not add more complexity.
At least that's what I tell myself, but it's a lie...

diferg

Dan & Ingrid
Bike
2006 ST 1300
That's a reasonable explanation, but I try not to overthink it.
I know we in Birmingham are roughly 1000' ASL, and yes the humidity DOES increase the air density.
Beyond that, I seem to remember the stoichiometric ideal for burning fuel in motors is 14:1, air to fuel ratio. But that was a long time ago.
50mpg may never happen for me, but I still realize twice the mileage on the bike as in the car. So don't get me started on the premium vs. regular price per gallon.
I'm trying to simplify my life, not add more complexity.
At least that's what I tell myself, but it's a lie...

Grade of gas is not in my factoring (i"m cheap) but my location is about 26 ft. ASL and usually a lot of humidity!

So don't get me started on the premium vs. regular price per gallon.
We're ~200 feet here, but down into Houston area, it's 50 and below. This whole area is notorious for humidity at 90 plus (blame the Gulf for that). Always averaged 42+- depending on mood.
And yea ... there's a long running debate in a forum whether we can use Regular or Mid-grade in our premium-designated SUV cage. Some actually do use Reg, cause they figure the knock sensor system will compensate. Personally, I'd *never* fill with anything less than premium, even though the pocketbook takes a hard hit!

Last edited:

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
We're ~200 feet here, but down into Houston area, it's 50 and below. This whole area is notorious for humidity at 90 plus (blame the Gulf for that). Always averaged 42+- depending on mood.
And yea ... there's a long running debate in a forum whether we can use Regular or Mid-grade in our premium-designated cage. Some actually do use Reg, cause they figure the knock sensor system will compensate. Personally, I'd *never* fill with anything less than premium, even though the pocketbook takes a hard hit!
Those die hard folks that use it and don't notice any difference, have never taken an ST engine down and looked at the inside of them.
:WCP1:

OP
OP
Scott
I'll probably never hit 50 MPG here either, but I'll do my best to get as close as possible. I had a 1991 Ford pickup that got 10 mpg around here, took it out east to Pennsylvania and was getting 18 out there, right back to 10 when I got home. Same going west, seems like right after I cross the Missouri river I start getting better mileage and as soon As I come back across the river it goes back down, noticed it on my VTX also. I'll be happy with 42 or whatever I can get out of it. Really like the bike so far. Thanks again @Igofar for helping me with these brakes, your a stand up guy..

Bike
ST1300
Majority of the fuel stations here have 95 and 98 octane at the pump. I use 98 or if not available 95. Costs a little more, and the 13 loves it.
Getting around the 20 klms per litre on average. Usually sit around 100/110 kph on the highway and back roads.

Always on the lookout and keeping the speed down, especially around sunrise and sunset for animals, especially kangaroos. Have come close a few times.

phantom :bk13:

Last edited:
Top Bottom