Bike
03&04 ST1300
STOC #
High Visibility Protects Motorcyclists
Reflective Clothing, Light Helmets, and Headlights Reduce Crash Risks
By Jennifer Warner
WebMD Health News
Reviewed by Brunilda Nazario, MD

April 8, 2004 -- Conspicuous motorcycle riders are more likely to arrive at their destination safely and without injury, a new study shows. Researchers found wearing reflective clothing, a white or light colored helmet, and using headlights during the daytime can reduce serious injuries or death from motorcycle crashes by up to one-third. The study shows that increasing the use of these measures may be an inexpensive way to promote motorcycle safety and prevent injury and death. Visibility Improves Motorcycle Safety In the study, researchers compared 463 motorcycle drivers involved in crashes that resulted in serious injury or death in New Zealand with 1,233 randomly selected drivers in the same region. The study showed that about two-thirds of crash-related injuries occurred during the day in urban areas with speed limits less than 35 miles per hour, and 72% occurred in good weather. After adjusting for other factors, such as driver's age, years of motorcycle riding experience, and alcohol use, researchers found simple things that increased the driver's visibility dramatically reduced crashes and injuries. For example:
* Drivers wearing fluorescent or reflective clothing had a 37% lower risk of crashing compared with other drivers.
* Compared with using a black helmet, wearing a white helmet reduced the driver's risk by 24%.
* Using daytime headlights reduced the risk of crashing by 27%.
However, the study showed wearing light-colored clothing wasn't enough to increase motorcycle driver visibility. There was no association between risk of crash-related injury and the frontal color of the driver's clothing or motorcycle. Researchers say it's the first population-based study to look at the relationship between motorcycle driver visibility and crash-related injury. "The study suggests that low physical conspicuity is a contributing factor in a significant proportion of road traffic crashes causing injury," write researcher Susan Wells, of the University of Auckland, and colleagues. They say the findings indicate that enacting laws requiring daytime use of headlights and encouraging greater visibility among motorcycle drivers could improve motorcycle safety and reduce motorcycle crash-related injuries and death.

Bike
2008 VStrom 650
Researchers found wearing reflective clothing, a white or light colored helmet, and using headlights during the daytime can reduce serious injuries or death from motorcycle crashes by up to one-third. * Drivers wearing fluorescent or reflective clothing had a 37% lower risk of crashing compared with other drivers.
* Compared with using a black helmet, wearing a white helmet reduced the driver's risk by 24%.
* Using daytime headlights reduced the risk of crashing by 27%.
However, the study showed wearing light-colored clothing wasn't enough to increase motorcycle driver visibility. There was no association between risk of crash-related injury and the frontal color of the driver's clothing or motorcycle.
Interesting study but no surprises here.
There is a contradiction in the last sentence above though... is it only hi vis colour in the arms and back that reduces risk??.. I thought the majority of accidents were cages turning left into oncoming motorcycles.
I wonder how much reduction you get from a yellow lid if a white one reduces it 24%.
We have noticed a reduction in the number of cages pulling out in front of us since using bright coloured gear and aux lighting but we don't ever let our guard down.

Bike
2005 ST1300
Interesting study but no surprises here.
There is a contradiction in the last sentence above though... is it only hi vis colour in the arms and back that reduces risk??.. I thought the majority of accidents were cages turning left into oncoming motorcycles.
I wonder how much reduction you get from a yellow lid if a white one reduces it 24%.
We have noticed a reduction in the number of cages pulling out in front of us since using bright coloured gear and aux lighting but we don't ever let our guard down.
White is MORE visible than yellow in a helmet..Sorry:D

OP
OP
SteveST1300

SteveST1300

Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
03&04 ST1300
STOC #
I agreeTodd white does not blend in with road signs etc white is more visible and probably faster too!

Bike
2005 ST1300
Technically and scientifically Yellow IS the most visible but I like to argue for no reason and Steve likes to agree with me for no reason LOL:bigpop:

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
It takes a special person to argue with someone who agrees with you.
Just ask my ex.:D

Timely, just yesterday I was headed down a road the ends at a stop sign in which you have to turn right or left. There is at least 100 yards of straigh road as you approach the stop sign and on the oppisite side of the road it intesects are some of those yellow reflective signs to let you know you can't go straight. So as I am driving towards that in my truck maybe tow thirds of the way I think I notice somethingis there and sure enough it's a black harley and rider very much blending into the scenery. The guy was wearing a black shirt with some Herley type design on it mostly yellow and orange, had no helmet and dark hair, dark jeans and didnt have the brakes on so no brake light. I'll be damned if that bike and rider where blending so well into the sign and bushes on the other side you could make it out till you were real close.
Kinda makes the good arguement for the post above and keeping your brake light lit. I seriously got a chill when I realize how close I had to get to make out he was there.

STOC #
My hubby and I just got back from a long trip to Utah, Colorado, NV. He most of the time rides ahead of me on his wing. He said that when he looks in his rearview mirror that it looks like I'm standing on the pegs because of my new Olympia Neon Yellow jacket. I also ran into a guy outside of Great Basin National Park who said that he could see me coming for miles across the desert. He was also wearing neon yellow.

:wave1:

Bike
ST
STOC #
Black is black because it reflects NO colors of the light spectrum. White is white because it reflects ALL colors. White should be more visible than yellow and I believe I remember a study of the most visible cars by Mercedes back in the 70's that demonstrated this. The only times yellow would be more visible is in fog, snow, or rain as all of these refract white light and the study said more accidents occur in nclear weather.

pretbek

Ŵΐļļ ŗĭδέ ∫ỗґ Ŧщịştịέş
Bike
Super Tenere
STOC #
If a white helmet increases visibility by 24%, what kind of increase do you get from riding an all white bike?
Well, if you manage to wear the bike on your head, a SIGNIFICANT increase in visibility I think.

Bike
2000 ST1100PY
Just out of interest since I'm in New Zealands neighbouring country, I've seen on the Goldwings over here, little reflectors across the base of the bike. They look like they were lights but someone took the globes out. Are these lit in the USA? or any country.

I ask because I have been warned by a police officer for having little LED lights on the side of my bike. I told him I put them on there so my bike could be seen side on, as with a fairing front and rear, neither my headlight or tail light could be seen in the dark from the side. He told me to remove them imediatly as it was illegal to have extra lighting on the bike as it "draws attention to your vehicle!"

However for long vehicles like trucks and semi's it is required by law so drivers know there is a vehicle between the front and rear lights!

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
Side reflectors are amber in the front and red in the rear. There are aftermarket ones that are lit in addition to being reflectors.
Color of lights varies by state here. Forex blue is volunteer firefighters in NJ other places its police. NJ it's Red and Blue for police.
Amber strobe for contrustion vehicles etc. Other than that I don't know that any strobe (xenon) is allowed other than parade/exhibition use on a civilian vehicle.

Practically I don't think you'd have much issue here if you stayed away from blue lights. If anything it may be an issue with state mv inspection not a leo.

Top Bottom