Non-Darksider Testimonial.....I'm Convinced

Dang.. back at end of July it was $56.

Is this the best tire to start with 205/50ZR17 XL 93Y Hankook Ventus V12 Evo - it is on sale at Tire Rack for $59. In Canada it is listed at $156 at Canadian Tire

Guess a sale beats a closeout.

The new Hankook Ventus V 12 just hit the shelves!!! I have two on my shelf but have to wear that one out first. They say they have better traction then the old but I had now issue with the three I had on already!!!

Here I am really considering getting a pair of the Hankooks at the sale price. But when I figure in the extra tire change fee (2 Hankooks to 1 GYTT) I don't think I'm really coming out ahead. Add in cause then I have to find storage spot for the extra kook too.

Now if I could change my own rears at home... that would swing me back to the kook. I have about 2/32 of useable tread left on my GYTT, figuring the 2/32 wear bars, by my math that is good for about 10k more.

Changing is a hassle. Economics aside, I'd mount another GYTT and be done with it for the next 40-50k. Lol

Looking at the economics, I'll still stick with my GYTT. I have 35k+ miles on mine now and it looks half warn. At this rate I'll get 45-50k out of it. Using the same riding style I got 16k out of each of the Hankooks I ran. That means even at the closeout price, I'm paying the same per mile with the GYTT, yet I get to skip 2 tire changes. And I like how the GYTT handles better than the 'Kook.

Well, I finally went and put my money where my mouth is....mounted a Hankook the other night. My first concern came while mounting the tire I could not get the tire to give me the normal double "ping" of seating the beads. After reading some more of the forum posts, I saw that this was "normal" for this application of the car tire on a MC rim. So.....I took the ST for a cautious spin around the block. My first impression was what many have said about a little more bar input needed at initial turn in, and I also seem to have to keep a little more pressure to maintain the lean angle. The bike seems very ready to right itself (stand up) when the input pressure is relieved. Other initial observations include a little sidewall squirm or flex noted when shifting or applying the throttle abruptly while in a corner as well as it seeming a little rougher over surface defects.

Since my cautious first ride, and following multiple psi checks to allay my bead concerns, I have put the tire through a little more aggressive riding. During these more spirited rides I have gotten a better feel for the performance of the Hankook. Although the handling characteristics are without a doubt different from a MC tire, I'm feeling more confident in it's ability to perform. From my limited experience so far I can say that I have had traction in abundance for cornering, braking, and acceleration. I have yet to have wet conditions to test it with, but have no doubt it should handle well.

While I can't yet say I'll never put a MC tire back on my bike....I'm pleased so far and look forward to changing tires less often than every 3-6K miles!

Now I just need a Darth Vader sticker for my ST!:ds1:

Well, I finally went and put my money where my mouth is....

Now I just need a Darth Vader sticker for my ST!:ds1:

Following nhdiesel around and keeping pace, I did it earlier this week and have nearly 1K on it already. I'm Double dark too. Loving it. Can't thank Jim enough for the help installing. I think I've worn out my peg feelers this week alone.

11270204_954188731278556_1678879368438183_o.jpg

Welcome to the darkside from another noob... I'm still waiting for my cookies though. :)

Back
Top Bottom