Nuvi 590LM on ST1100 - mounting options and opinions

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
I recently bought a 590LM from another forum member, and I'm exploring mounting options. The cradle a the standard AMPS 4-bolt pattern.

What I'm not interested in using is the typical Ram-type mount with two balls joined by the locking straight bar with ball-clamps on the ends.

My preference is high on the dash, low in the center of the windshield, to keep it in my line of sight. Second is between the handlebar clamps.

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
STOC #
Hi Larry:

Although you clearly indicated in your post that you would prefer to mount the unit high up, within your line of sight, it is certainly a lot easier to mount the unit between the handlebars.

Keep in mind that the Garmin 590 will deliver audible turn instructions to an intercom system in your helmet. I mounted my first Garmin GPS between the handlebars of my ST 1100 back in 2001, and have used that same space for all the replacement units (about 8 since then). I'm happy with that location. When I have a route active, I get notification of an upcoming turn well ahead of the turn - this generally happens when riding straight along a road. I'll glance down then at the pop-up window that highlights the turn maneuver and relate that to what I see ahead. Shortly after, I get another audible prompt to make the turn, and I turn.

Below are some pictures (20 years old!) showing my between-the-handlebars installation.

Michael

GPS Install on ST 1100
finished installation
Completed Install.jpg

location of RAM mounting bracket
DSC00043.jpg

note two small cut-outs in the plastic handlebar garnish - one for the RAM ball, another to make key access easier
Handlebar Cover Attachments 2.jpg

Where to cut the hole for the RAM ball
where to cut hole.jpg

OP
OP
Larry Fine
Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
I have no center cover, because I have original Helibars atop 3" risers, so my handle-bar center and the clamps are exposed.

That's where my TPMS display is, and my car GPS is stuck to the bottom-center of my windshield with a suction-cup mount.

I prefer the GPS higher and centered so it's closest to my line of sight when riding on the twisties, even with no destination.

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
I have the reverse set-up that you have. Unless you have a shelf there's a lot of vibration on the plastic surround. I have my TPMS mounted on a GoPro mount.

The photos were just taken now with the camera next to my eye and what I see when riding.

I understand this isn't what you want. Just that I have the Heli bar set-up for you to see what it looks like

Attachments

sirepair

Let's RIDE!
Site Supporter
Bike
2003 ST1100P
STOC #
I don't know if you checked out my setup at OH-STOC or WV-STOC, but I have mine mounted (with RAM mounts) to a dash shelf that bolts on above the plastic dash top. I'll see about a posting a picture. The dash shelves are a simple sheet metal cut out, with 4 tabs/holes to locate it, and a reinforcement spot welded on the bottom. I don't recall who made them, I've had this one for many years. Probably like hens teeth to find one.

I do get a bit of vibration, but nothing drastic.

Here's a DIY one on st-riders.net: http://www.st-riders.net/index.php?topic=12131.msg111034#msg111034

Wouldn't be to difficult to make another bracket to go between the GPS mount and the shelf...

Last edited:

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
+1 on the dash shelf, if you can find one. My GPS is mounted there using "the typical Ram-type mount with two balls joined by the locking straight bar with ball-clamps on the ends." Works great and easy to adjust. I don't understand why you don't want to use Ram mounts.

OP
OP
Larry Fine
Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
Please be gentle! In no particular order:

I have a thing for symmetry, and prefer displays centered, or at least balanced.

I don't like the "long stalks holding panels in the air" look,and risk of vibration.

I did get a shelf years ago, but haven't looked at using it yet, until I have a plan.

I prefer the minimalist look; I prefer things attached close to where they will sit.

I will post pics of what I have now, and look for pics of what I would like to have.

I hadn't planned this until the 590 popped up; I should look at others' bikes more.

Top Bottom