NY's New Exhaust Law

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
Out my way H-Ds and sport bikes run just about neck and neck as noise makers....

... Dodge Chargers and Plymouth Challengers screaming down the streets. And Dodge Chargers and Plymouth Challengers "spinning donuts" in the streets. There are a couple of Hellcats (four wheel types) that are intolerably loud that could benefit from a .50 round into the blocks.
Of course has also the industry be put (back) into place...
their "sound design" has become a marketing feature... many cars (and motorcycles) have gotten exhaust flaps where the childish can create unnecessary noise at the push of a button...

Observed an HD rider at a gas station relocating from one pump to an other:
- push starter button "blobblobblob..."
- instantly push flap button "BRATBRATBRATBRAT..."
- kick gear in "KLANK!"
- ride to the next pump (like 4 yards...all bystanders just covered their ears...)

Darn... :rolleyes:
And FWIW I push my ST over such minor distances...

Last edited:

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
I guess you're really have been victimized by them :)
Well, imagine you've property in an area frequented by gazillion motorcycle enthusiasts every weekend...
You're in your kitchen, living room, or even the porch... with the constant sound-stage of a MOTO GP at Laguna Seca... your ears ring, so does the glassware inherited from granny in the showcase...
And selling ain't an option, the value dropped significantly as no one want's to live there...

Bike
2000 ST1100
Well, imagine you've property in an area frequented by gazillion motorcycle enthusiasts every weekend...
You're in your kitchen, living room, or even the porch... with the constant sound-stage of a MOTO GP at Laguna Seca... your ears ring, so does the glassware inherited from granny in the showcase...
And selling ain't an option, the value dropped significantly as no one want's to live there...
You are correct. I'm currently looking for a new home now. I move on if there is a loud car or truck or motorcycle parked in the neighborhood. I can spot oem vs magnaflow neighbor hater exhaust systems. Also if you have a boomer car in the neighborhood I will not buy your home. So yeah it matters.

Woodchuck

(Lyle)
Bike
2018 BMW K1600GTL
STOC #
Many years ago I was part of the Bylaw training for the noise bylaw (motorcycles) and how to conduct the test on the side of the road. There is RPM ### for all different engine types and Db levels for each. I know the ST stock exhaust was well below the limit and my HD friend aftermarket exhaust was 3-4 DB below at the tested RPM ####. I have reached out to my bylaw Department in my area for some more clarity on this. Yes I know that it's not for everywhere but can at least educate us going forward a bit. If anything it will give us something to chat about for a couple weeks:eek::eek:
So here is a screen shot of the bylaw document.

Attachments

Bike
2001 ST1100
Here in Edmonton AB. they do have a noise bylaw for loud exhaust (cars or bikes). Its based on Decibel level. (I don't recall what the decibel limit is) It is poorly enforced. The EPS might have an enforcement action early in the spring but then nothing for the rest of the year. I live a block from a hospital and right behind me is a seniors complex - 2 large 4 story buildings. My back fence is a stone wall with a road between me and the seniors buildings- people operating loud vehicles - muscle cars and yes motor cycles love to crack their throttles and hold it in 1st or 2nd gear for the whole block. If we are sitting on my deck enjoying the weather we actually have to stop the conversation while they go by as you can't literally hear your self think let alone hear a conversation. You would think people would respect the neighbourhoods they travel through, especially near a hospital or seniors care centres but not to be.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
You would think people would respect the neighbourhoods they travel through, especially near a hospital or seniors care centres but not to be.
The is exactly the reason why I don't mind noise limits and enforcement one bit. Anybody with modified exhausts can keep under the radar... So to speak. We haven't had regular or random vehicle inspections out my way (CA) in years. So if someone modifies their exhaust it could easily go undetected by law enforcement if that's the operator's choice.

So people pays their money and takes their chances. The odds of getting caught are slim and if someone gets caught — it's because they done wrong and deserve their performance and stupidity documented with the same consideration showed what got them there. :D

mello dude

Half genius, half dumazz whackjob foole
The is exactly the reason why I don't mind noise limits and enforcement one bit. Anybody with modified exhausts can keep under the radar... So to speak. We haven't had regular or random vehicle inspections out my way (CA) in years. So if someone modifies their exhaust it could easily go undetected by law enforcement if that's the operator's choice.
I bought my VFR800 quite a while ago and it did come with an aftermarket carbon fiber exhaust that is a bit loud when revs hard, but I do like the sound. But in town, suburbia or wherever, its not really loud with the revs on the low side and I keep it down....

Never had the stock exhaust but wondering if I need to find one for a cross country trip? Or NY.? I live in Ohio....

Bike
S10, R1250GS, KLX300
2024 Miles
STOC #
Loud exhaust is not a huge problem when used judiciously ….. it is a problem when the “loud pipes save lives” crowd decides to impose on everyone in the area by irritating everyone but their riding buddies with excessive, obnoxious noise. I say that as a 50 year motorcycle rider, having owned five stock, non-modified exhaust Harleys, 87 different motorcycles overall, and a person who sees the “loud pipes saves lives” slogan as utter BS. Riding skill and situational awareness trumps loud pipes.

The Illinois State statute on mufflers is quite clear that no vehicles exhaust shall be modified to emit more noise than the original exhaust installed. I just wish it was strictly enforced.

0D95DF23-67B8-46D4-B90B-6478471C11D9.png

Bike
2019 GL1800
STOC #
This thread has inspired me so much that I rolled my old shovelhead Harley (straight pipes) out the shop and kick started it. I rebuilt it several years ago and it remains dear to my heart. So far I have never been pulled over or harassed by any law enforcement yet I have been complimented by several on it’s classic American beauty. I live and ride in a very rural area, the coyotes are horrified when it starts up as they can hear it growl from a good distance. Several old Vietnam vets that live near me come out and wave cheerfully as I pass their homes (my ST1300 never gets this respect or admiration).
To all the haters on here, I ask to please be patient, your need for government control and restrictions will come soon enough like a hurricane wiping out even what you hold dear- it’s coming- because you want it .

Another thing is have you noticed mainly on the Harley Davidson crowd the pipes are so loud that the radio has to be at max volume in order to hear it. How stupid is that?
I live way out in the country on a road that is very popular with motorcycles. Often I can hear the radio for 1/2 mile before the motorcycle gets to me. Then I listen to the loud pipes for 1/2 mile or more after they leave and that's with forest to absorb the sound. I'm not a loud pipes guy. A few of my buddies are. When we ride together they are at the back of the pack.
At the end of day and in the moment, you will be subject to the individual officer's 'interpretation' of the law.
Protest if you wish in that situation, but things will go much better IMHO to do that with a good lawyer in court. ;)
This can always be the biggest problem when it comes to the enforcement of anything.

Pop-Pop

Site Supporter
Bike
1996 ST 1100
STOC #
I live way out in the country on a road that is very popular with motorcycles. Often I can hear the radio for 1/2 mile before the motorcycle gets to me. Then I listen to the loud pipes for 1/2 mile or more after they leave and that's with forest to absorb the sound. I'm not a loud pipes guy. A few of my buddies are. When we ride together they are at the back of the pack.

This can always be the biggest problem when it comes to the enforcement of anything.
I prefer stealth. My red came w noisy cans and i got rid of them within the first week. If i wanted a noisy harley, i would have bought one.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Loud exhaust is not a huge problem when used judiciously ….. it is a problem when the “loud pipes save lives” crowd decides to impose on everyone in the area by irritating everyone but their riding buddies with excessive, obnoxious noise. I say that as a 50 year motorcycle rider, having owned five stock, non-modified exhaust Harleys, 87 different motorcycles overall, and a person who sees the “loud pipes saves lives” slogan as utter BS. Riding skill and situational awareness trumps loud pipes.

The Illinois State statute on mufflers is quite clear that no vehicles exhaust shall be modified to emit more noise than the original exhaust installed. I just wish it was strictly enforced.

0D95DF23-67B8-46D4-B90B-6478471C11D9.png
We share a similar background as far as vehicles, work, and retirement:rofl1:
You gotta stop pigeon holing “loud pipes save lives” with Harley folks etc.
The HD crowd these days are old retired geezers on identical road/street glides, and wouldn’t know the right way to hold a wrench.
The loud pipes folks nowadays seem to be the sport bike gangs (clubs) when the chop off the mufflers completely and are always banging their rev limiters.
Or as the British and Indian’s say….
Loud valves save lives.

Bike
2014 FJR ES 2009 WEE
Around my neck of the woods it's the cruisers...HD predominately...gotta keep twisting the throttle at stop lights or they quit running I guess...Nuisance

Top Bottom