NY's New Exhaust Law

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
Just to point out one more thing.....
For those folks who think its ok in my state, who cares what other states do etc.....it's quite possible that if your riding in another state...
On the long run some communities will enforce [motorcycle only] speed limits and even complete bans on some popular (hence especially noise polluted) riding areas...
In Tyrol (Austria) they'd even instated a ban for motorcycles showing >95dbA max operating noise in their title (and in reality) on some popular mountain passes...
(interesting side note though: my '94 ST1100 has 98dbA listed in title & registration, whilst my '00 ST1100 papers say 95dbA...)

OTOH why am I, maintaining my OEM equipped, silent touring motorcycle, have to face any road restrictions and bans, only over some imbeciles constantly terrorizing the local population and wildlife with their loud pipes nonsense... :rolleyes:

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
"Noise pollution has been called an "underestimated threat" by the World Health Organization"...
Ooooooh.
That's vitally significant, because the W.H.O. has done so much to bolster their reputation and their credibility, in the last 24 months.
They need to encourage all nations to mandate earplugs for everyone, until this crisis has been resolved.

Sidekick

Save Ukraine Stop War!
Bike
ST1300A '05
STOC #
Ooooooh.
That's vitally significant, because the W.H.O. has done so much to bolster their reputation and their credibility, in the last 24 months.
They need to encourage all nations to mandate earplugs for everyone, until this crisis has been resolved.
Right, this not a perfect world and the W.H.O could be quoted inefficient in many ways, but this is the best we have for now.
"I would suggest that the present practice of shooting at the organist during the service be discontinued. It is a ridiculous habit, and annoys the congregation by filling the church with smoke."

rwthomas1

Site Supporter
Bike
'01 ST1100 non-ABS
Question is, what level of noise and how it'll be measured.
That is exactly what I've been trying to find out. I've read the change to the law, but cannot find a specific number. Reading postings of various people involved, that number may be as low as 60-75db. If you read the law, they explicitly state that ANY exhaust system must meet these ratings. I can tell you that many STOCK exhaust systems will fail at 60-75db. So prepare to s-can Delkevic, Staintune, etc.

RT

Bike
2010 ST1300
This threa
That is exactly what I've been trying to find out. I've read the change to the law, but cannot find a specific number. Reading postings of various people involved, that number may be as low as 60-75db. If you read the law, they explicitly state that ANY exhaust system must meet these ratings. I can tell you that many STOCK exhaust systems will fail at 60-75db. So prepare to s-can Delkevic, Staintune, etc. RT
Similar laws invariably say that noise levels higher than the oem system on an unmodified/stock bike are prohibited. This would be a good fall back defense if you get cited on a stock bike. Do they even make two strokes with tuned pipes any more? Ultimately, you would have to check the manufacturer's or states' protocol for measuring sound, and what sound levels were found for a stock bike.

This thread is getting exhausting.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
Question is, what level of noise and how it'll be measured.
That is exactly what I've been trying to find out. I've read the change to the law, but cannot find a specific number.
Québec, out of necessity, has established both the maximum db level and the method of testing to close these loop holes and inequities.
Quebec had a similar law to what is now in effect in N.Y., and it was not enforceable. It was equally sloppily written, and as a result the law, and all the tickets issued because of it, was struck down in court. The Government had to establish verifiable limits, define a means of standardized and repeatable test results, and rewrite the law to comply with the court ruling.

The original law in Québec allowed a person to do whatever they wanted to their exhaust system as long as it did not result in the exhaust noise emitted being louder than what was emitted with the exhaust originally installed at the factory. This went to court eventually. The judge through the case, and law, out. He ruled that in order to enforce the law as written, the police would have to have factual evidence, such as db readings, of what the noise level of that specific vehicle that was ticketed was before the exhaust was modified, so that it could be compared to the noise level after the modification. Of course this is an impossibility.

After a five year pilot project, the law was changed.
It now states;
that no component of the exhaust system of a motorcycle, moped or motorized scooter may be replaced, removed, added or modified in a way that makes the system noisier compared to the system installed by the manufacturer of the motorcycle, moped or motorized scooter.

Added to the law was;
the regulation sets the maximum sound emission levels that can be produced by the exhaust systems of motorcycles, mopeds and motorized scooters. Owners of vehicles that produce greater sound levels cannot operate the vehicles in question or allow them to be operated by anyone else. These levels are established based on vehicle type and the sound measurement method used.

Also added was a quantifiable means of testing the sound level;
Police officers who have received training from the SAAQ or the École nationale de police du Québec can use a sound level meter to measure the sound levels (in decibels) emitted by a motorcycle exhaust system. This new regulation is based on findings from the pilot project run by the SAAQ from 2013 to 2018, which led to the amendment of the Highway Safety Code. Sound level meters are thus added to traditional sound measuring methods, which are based on the physical characteristics of the exhaust system and are already in use by police forces to determine whether an offence has been committed.

Decibel levels allowed by law;
  • Where the engine rotates at a constant or variable speed, the level allowed is 100 decibels.
  • Where the engine is idling, the level allowed is 92 decibels.
It is important to note that under no circumstances may a motorcycle’s exhaust system be replaced, altered or modified in a way that makes it noisier than the original. Thus, a motorcycle exhaust system that has been modified so that it is louder than the original system will be considered non-compliant, even if it still respects the maximum sound levels.

How are decibels measured?

Decibels are measured using a sound level meter positioned 50 cm away from the muffler, at the same height and at a 45-degree angle.

The police officer asks the driver to hold the motorcycle and activate the throttle while the sound level meter records a measurement. In the case of a motorcycle equipped with a manual transmission, the motorcycle must be in neutral when measuring sound levels.

The law also includes similar restrictions for all vehicles, not just motorcycles.

Bike
2000 ST1100
To me the solution could be all oem exhaust and after market systems have to be stamped with an EPA noise certification label. when stopped by the officer all he would have to do is look for the certification. No certification = ticket.

chofe tatass

I doubt the "loud pipes save lives" concept holds water. And what about dirt bikes and ATV in residential area. When one of those riders goes out of their way to gun it through residential neighborhoods just to be obnoxious they should be fined. Such noise is unbearable it's a major health concern no doubt.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
To me the solution could be all oem exhaust and after market systems have to be stamped with an EPA noise certification label.
Already in force in Europe...

E - EC guideline
2 - country code (where certified, 1: Germany, 2: France, 3: Italy, 4: Netherlands, etc...)
5 - for ICE with catalytic converter (EURO-III)
9 - Noise test and approval

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
I think the big difference is that most (all?) European countries have vehicle inspections for roadworthiness where such a violation would probably be caught. Very few States over here have such inspections for roadworthiness - they are usually about emissions.

rogo

Site Supporter
Bike
'05 ST1300
2024 Miles
I think the big difference is that most (all?) European countries have vehicle inspections for roadworthiness where such a violation would probably be caught. Very few States over here have such inspections for roadworthiness - they are usually about emissions.
Motorcycles don't have any type inspection where I'm at. Pick up truck gets emission tested annually until it's 25 yr old, Then nada. I hope to keep my '99 Dakota running that long.
This does not mean you can't get cited by the police for unroadworthy motor vehicles.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Motorcycles don't have any type inspection where I'm at. Pick up truck gets emission tested annually until it's 25 yr old, Then nada. I hope to keep my '99 Dakota running that long.
This does not mean you can't get cited by the police for unroadworthy motor vehicles.
When I was in the USMC stationed in Jville, there was a NC Vehicle Safety inspection - which was a 'revenue' opportunity for some unscrupulous garages.
I had a 57 Chevy that I just rebuilt the entire front end and the first place I stopped, they shook the right front tire and said the front end was 'old' and needed to be rebuilt. Needless to say I went elsewhere for my inspection.
This was back in 1972, so I don't know if NC still does those.
Tennessee's inspections are just about emissions and that is usually only in the major cities.

Last edited:

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I'm all for heavy duty exhaust noise abatement. Making revenue off of wannabe rebels is a good thing. Take your chances with these minor displays of motor disobedience but don't whine about cops "who have nothing better to do" blah blah blah like little girls (and that's an insult to little girls) when getting a ticket.

People do stupid stuff because of self-entitlement and blame the cops when they get tagged. Where's that teeny tiny violin when they need it. And likely it wouldn't be enforced fairly — that's very bike and other vehicle being cited for exceeding a limit by some arbitrary amount. But that's the way it goes. You play maybe you play.

Out my way H-Ds and sport bikes run just about neck and neck as noise makers. Neither are all that noisy but doubtful they're anywhere near let alone south of the legal limit.

The real noise makers near me are cars "spinning donuts" and Dodge Chargers and Plymouth Challengers screaming down the streets. And Dodge Chargers and Plymouth Challengers "spinning donuts" in the streets. There are a couple of Hellcats (four wheel types) that are intolerably loud that could benefit from a .50 round into the blocks.

Jethro

R.I.P. - 2023/10/20
Rest In Peace
Bike
2006 st1300
My ST1300 REALLY WISHES it could have Rhineharts with a power commander,& Roger Ram Jet Air Induction.

Top Bottom