Odd Wear on Rear Tire?

Ryan_B

Site Supporter
Bike
2016 Honda ST1300PA
I have finally reached 6000 miles on my original tires from 2015 and feel I can change them without guilt of throwing out a good set of tires. I air them up about every month to stock psi (yes, I have to look it up each time) and ride year round.

Lately, I have been feeling a slight "wobble" as I go over seams, patches or any defect that runs parallel with my path. It feels almost like the tires are tracking with that defect. Wobble may not be the right word, but it is a slight unsettling of the bike.

After I got home from work, I popped it up on the center stand and made sure everything was tight, no brakes dragging and all looked well, but I have a weird ridge on the left shoulder of my rear tire.

IMG_20230828_182034405_HDR.jpg
IMG_20230828_181920087.jpg
IMG_20230828_181925036_HDR.jpg

I wouldn't be concerned at all if it were symmetrical with the right side, but the right side is pretty much normal looking, without any serious flat spotting in the center.

Hard to get a good picture of it, really. But basically - it is pretty smooth on the right side and is a slight angle up to the left shoulder before the ridge/drop. I believe when weight transfers back in forth over the ridge it slightly unsettles the back end.

So, finally the question: I keep about the max weight in my left pannier, right at 15lbs. Do you think that has anything to do with this odd ridge? Or is there a misalignment of something? I am changing the tires and mostly don't want to have my new tire wear the same way. Basically, in your opinions - is there something I am doing wrong (bike load, ride style, whatever) or is this a symptom of an old tire and this sort of thing just happens? Also, if I am honest, I am more comfortable on left turns than right, so probably more aggressive on left turns.

Front tire just in case you wanted to see. Left side is more worn, which I hear is typical for the crowned roads:
IMG_20230828_181656833_HDR.jpg
IMG_20230828_181700973.jpg

Thanks for your input!
Ryan

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
You are correct -- crowned roads, at least in the USA.
Found the same when I replace my first set of tires on the 1300, and wear on the left was so much more obvious than on the right side.
The indie shop owner who changed tires for me explained the same thing, and when I expressed my doubts they were crowned "that" much he took me outside and showed me.
We stood on the corner of a street that ran downhill and away from us, and sure enough the crowning was really visible to the eye.
Now not every road will be as apparent as every other road, but the DOT has regulations requiring the allowance for drainage of of the roadway, and some departments are more compliant than others.

Willsmotorcycle

Ride more...
Site Supporter
Bike
2016 ST1300P
2024 Miles
Also, something I'll call the NASCAR effect, we make longer left turns than right turns. I believe in the UK the wear is on the other side of the tire. If you commute the same route daily, you would get uneven tire wear. Keep in mind also Ryan, you ride on the surface of the sun there. Keeping them properly inflated will help reduce the uneven wear. Checking your suspension is working correctly will help with everything.

I think one of the reasons also has to do with the way you leave stop signs-lights. When you take a left turn you tend to accelerate more when you have a longer curve to roll through. On a right the tendency is to ease through the tighter corner until standing up to roll on the throttle.
Check your rear wheel bearings really close, when I bought my 04 a rear wheel bearing went out before the tires wore out. I believe the bearings are under sized for the bike of that weight so I watch them real close.

Bike
VStrom 650
It looks normal in an abnormal sort of way.
You left siders live in an anti clockwise world, in the UK we're clockwise and the wear is reversed.
Check everything is OK at the tyre change and go wear another out.
Upt.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
8 year old tires, 6000 miles, Texas 100+ degree heat, only checking air once a month?

Ah.. several items there... at 6k miles most tires on a heavy sport tourer in flat-land Texas will show flat spotting and odd-ish wear.

8 year old tires MIGHT start to show some age degradation.

100+ degree heat we've been having doesn't help.

But, I check my tire pressure before every ride, unless you have a TPMS and you're monitoring it, the drop or rise in tire pressure will cause the tire to flex, or not flex, and cause odd wear and especially when you add the above 3 items in conjunction.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
As long as there are no visible cracks? Just keep the tire pressure where it should be and keep riding.

Or, replace for peace of mind.

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
With older tires, even when they "look new", cracking begins once they've been stressed and flexed and gone through some heat cycles.
If you don't replace them for a while, it would be prudent to check them frequently, especially looking for the beginning of cracks or splits on the sidewalls.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Those BT-020s are probably close to 10 years old if they were installed in 2015. Time for new tires in my opinion even though they have plenty of wear left in them.

TPadden

Tom Padden
I have finally reached 6000 miles on my original tires from 2015...and ride year round...I am changing the tires and mostly don't want to have my new tire wear the same way. Basically, in your opinions - is there something I am doing wrong
750 miles a year in Texas is what you are doing wrong; your tires are not stressed, just embarrassed. Ride more, worry less. :rofl1:

Tom

Mr.E

Steve
Bike
Boss Hoss & ST1300
If, as many have mentioned, the wear is due to the road camber... could you do similar as me and ride closer to the crown of the road where there is less of a camber?
Further to dduelin scribe above, you might find a few digits moulded into the sidewall giving the tyre manufacture date - that would be interesting to know.

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
I'm in no position to shame anyone, for any reason, least of all for a low-mileage motorbike.
And I don't even have children.
(And they likely wouldn't have me, either.)

Top Bottom