Odyssey PC545 died after just 5 years of service

Bike
2006 ST1300A
While I'm not too happy about having to buy another battery, I am pleased to have gotten 5 years of service from my last Odyssey PC545. OK, not exactly a full 5 years ... it lasted just 2 weeks shy of 5 years. Bought a new one and will install it later today, 3/3/18, and the last one was installed on 3/17/13. After prior poor performance from a couple Yuasa batteries between 2007 and 2009, I'm glad I made the modifications to get the PC545 to fit in my 2006 ST1300A. At this rate, I'll have to get another about the same time I plan to retire in 2023.

Haven't done much riding lately ... mostly commuting when weather permits, and no overnight trips during the last 16 months or so. Knowing my battery was almost 5 years old, I got into a habit of test-starting the bike the night before riding to work, and then connect the Battery Tender (only made certain it would start & didn't let it idle longer than a couple seconds). The bike sat a few times for 2 or 3 weeks without being started, but it always started ... until a couple days ago. Went to give it a test-start and charge, and it turned the starter motor very slowly and displayed the odometer & clock reset ... without starting the engine. I knew then it was time to kiss that battery goodbye. Hoping to get more long service from the replacement. :cool:

Here is a link to my article on installing the Odyssey PC545 battery in my ST1300 ...
https://www.st-owners.com/forums/showthread.php?74015-ST1300-Odyssey-PC545-installation

Last edited:

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I would have thought that you'd get longer service life than 5 years with the Odyssey.
Me too.

Still if you can count on 5yrs that seems to be a better track record than most but the factory Yuasa. Most of the off-the-shelf Yuasas don't seem to fair as well. $22/yr is a pretty palatable price to pay. You did say that you'd be happy if the battery lasted 3yrs ($37/year±).

It's more if you factor in the cost of the HBH kit and time (we all got plenty of that right) but that's a one-time purchase and the ROI goes up with the next purchase of the PC545. And:

I would be disappointed if this one didn't last for 5 years for you...
Jeff's experience implies 5yrs is to be expected.

hoowasat said:
I am interested in hearing about any other replacement battery that has done better.
And if it's a pattern for any particular brand. Any brand can have outliers good or bad.

OP
OP
hoowasat
Bike
2006 ST1300A
...but the factory Yuasa. Most of the off-the-shelf Yuasas don't seem to fair as well.
Well aware of that, and it boggles the mind why the replacement Yuasa isn't built to the same specifications as the factory-supplied unit.

Bike
2006 ST1300
I JUST replaced my almost 7 ( yes, SEVEN) year old Scorpion battery. I got it 4-11-2011, and replaced it last week. It still started the engine ok, and no reset of clock and/or odo, but I knew it was getting a bit weak. ( I keep it on a Battery Minder , on a timer, set to charge it for an hour a day...the Battery Minder blinks at a full charge, and it was no longer blinking all the time). I did the starter drop test, ( attach a voltmeter and start the bike), and the voltage dropped to 8.48, which indicated to me it was time for a new battery.
I cogitated and researched batteries- Scorpion units are no longer made in Vietnam, as mine was, so I decided to try another brand. I ended up going cheap, and bought a Chrome Battery, since the one in my scooter was 3 years old and going strong. With a coupon I found online, it was 30$, including shipping. The scooter battery was even less.

So far, so good. I'll post results as it wears in.

st1300doug

Kinda why I buy batteries like BatteryMax. At a mere $42 and lasting almost 4 years.....the cost factor makes this an easy decision!!

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
Bought a cheap Powersonic battery from Batterystuff.com for my '05 ST around '07 or '08, can't remember exactly. That battery was still in the bike when I sold it last week. That's a 10-11 year life from a $50 Chinese battery! I think it was finally growing weak because I was not riding the bike much the last couple of years.

Bike
2006 ST1300 basic bl
If you have an AGM (Absorptive Glass Mat) type battery - Odyssey PC680 is an AGM - and you want the maximum life out of it, it needs to be charged at 14.5 to 14.7 volts to get 100% charged. The older lead-acid type batteries only need 13.5 volts. The battery life is shortened if it is not kept at 100% charge.

You might want to check the output on your bike's charging system (the alternator and built-in voltage regulator). It's easy to do with a digital voltmeter or multitester.

Most important - check your "trickle charger" in the garage to see if it is AGM rated. The old BatteryTinder was not and I learned a bunch about AGM batteries and chargers several years ago when my bike wouldn't start after being on my trickle charger for two weeks. I started reading up on all the above.

https://www.batteryminders.com/how-to-extend-a-batterys-life/

https://www.batteryminders.com/agm-battery-info/

I'm not affiliated with any manufacturer or distributor, just a happy customer.

Bike
2010 ST1300
Here is a link to my article on installing the Odyssey PC545 battery in my ST1300 ...
I noticed in your write-up that the battery is mounted on its side (top is facing forward). Is this specifically recommended by the manufacturer? I can understand PD's installing them for the additional capacity; I would think that should there be a trade-off of reduced life for increased power they would vote for the latter.

In one of your links I read that AGM batteries (and other sealed units) do not like high temps and it is recommended that they be installed outside of the engine compartment. Good thing they are not exposed to excessive heat in ST's (a tad of sarcasm here). However, I've not read complaints of shorter lived AGM batteries in STs so maybe the batt location is fine. It is somewhat shielded from the engine....

st11ray

2006 ST1300
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
I get 5 to 7 years out of the replacement Yuasas that I always use. $150 from the dealer for the one I just put in last month.

Bike
2006 ST1300 basic bl
I noticed in your write-up that the battery is mounted on its side (top is facing forward). Is this specifically recommended by the manufacturer? I can understand PD's installing them for the additional capacity; I would think that should there be a trade-off of reduced life for increased power they would vote for the latter.

In one of your links I read that AGM batteries (and other sealed units) do not like high temps and it is recommended that they be installed outside of the engine compartment. Good thing they are not exposed to excessive heat in ST's (a tad of sarcasm here). However, I've not read complaints of shorter lived AGM batteries in STs so maybe the batt location is fine. It is somewhat shielded from the engine....

AGM batteries can be mounted in any orientation without affecting the life or operation of the battery.

OP
OP
hoowasat
Bike
2006 ST1300A
Most important - check your "trickle charger" in the garage to see if it is AGM rated. The old BatteryTinder was not and I learned a bunch about AGM batteries and chargers several years ago when my bike wouldn't start after being on my trickle charger for two weeks. I started reading up on all the above.
The timing of your post is impeccable because I recently retired my Battery Tender in favor of a Duracell Ultra 1.5 amp charger. The Battery Tender seemed to have been aging some because it was taking longer and longer to indicate it had reached full charge. Also, I swapped out the (supposedly) proprietary connectors on the Duracell charger due to already having numerous SAE 2-pole connectors already in place on the bike. When not used as a charging point, that connector can see service providing power to a DVR for my rear-mounted camera.

Bike
2006 ST1300 basic bl
Hoowasat:
"... The Battery Tender seemed to have been aging some because it was taking longer and longer to indicate it had reached full charge... "

I'd bet it was the battery itself aging, not the 'Tinder. But you do need to check that new charger for AGM rating. It might work well for lithium, gel, or lead-acid batteries but if it doesn't say "FOR AGM BATTERIES" or put out 14.5v you are reducing the life expectancy of an AGM.

I have three different "BatteryMINDER" chargers, all AGM rated and all with the temperature compensation, overcharge protection, and "desulfation" cycling. I thought the "desulfation" thing was hooha but found out differently. After I purchased a new PC680, charged it up and installed in my bike (post #11 above), I put the new BatteryMINDER on the old "dead" PC680 and left it charging and "desulfating" for a few days. When I came back to it, it was fully charged and indicating a healthy status under load. We put it in a friend's R65 airhead and it's still going strong. Made a believer of me. But, don't take my word for it, read up on AGM's.

My old "BatteryTinder" was relegated to the lawnmower's lead-acid battery.

I forgot to mention that I also changed the voltage regulator in the Bosch alternators for a higher, 14.5v unit, $45 ea at EME. The Motronic ECU's much prefer a fully 100% charged battery, too.

Last edited:
OP
OP
hoowasat
Bike
2006 ST1300A
But you do need to check that new charger for AGM rating. It might work well for lithium, gel, or lead-acid batteries but if it doesn't say "FOR AGM BATTERIES" or put out 14.5v you are reducing the life expectancy of an AGM.
From the link I provided ...
  • Charges both 6V and 12V flooded, gel, and AGM batteries
  • Lithium battery charging compatible

Bike
2006 ST1300 basic bl
Hoowasat,

Very little info available on your Duracell Ultra 1.5 Amp Charger - SLC10003. I can't find much (any) in the way of specs or manuals. Looks like it's only sold thru (private labeled for) BatteriesPlus.

It says:

• 1.5 Amp automatic charging
  • Charges both 6V and 12V flooded, gel, and AGM batteries
  • Lithium battery charging compatible
No voltage output claims. Kinda like "We specialize in everything". Having priced several things at BP I'd say it's way overpriced for whatever it is or does.

Not trying to rain on your parade, but you might want to contact your battery's manufacturer or go to their website and find out what the recommended chargers are for THAT battery. At least put a digital voltage tester on it while connected to the battery and see the output yourself. Or don't and if the battery fails in 5 years, don't blame it on the battery.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
We all use AGM in our ST1300s, have never see a flooded cell battery in our size.

Gell cell batteries need a different voltage then flooded and AGM batteries do. Many folks confuse AGM as gell cells, they're not. Two different formulas of acid.

Since AGM and flooded are the same chemical compounds causing the reaction, they are interchangeable, and so sre their chargers. The AGM just adds fiberglass matts to keep the sulphuric acid from sloshing around and they use a different variety of vent.

Desulphation is definitely not hoo-ha. But sulphation is not the only thing that kills a battery over time. It can definitely kill an unprotected LiFe battery.

Bike
2006 ST1300 basic bl
T_C,

I'll go with what the battery manufacturers and the battery charger manufacturers say and recommend which is at odds with your statement, "...AGM and flooded are the same chemical compounds causing the reaction, they are interchangeable, and so sre their chargers." My personal experience also supports the manufacturers' statements.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Lowndes said:
I'll go with what the battery manufacturers... say
Do you have a link to some battery manufacturers' regarding higher charging rates for AGM vs flooded batteries? You two links go to one source – the manufacturer of a battery charger. They're tenders that are alleged to improve motorcycle battery life are pretty pricey compare to most Battery Tender products. If the BatteryMender can do what it claims the high prices could be recouped.

Reactions: T_C
Top Bottom