Odyssey PC545 died after just 5 years of service

Bike
2006 ST1300 basic bl
Do you have a link to some battery manufacturers' regarding higher charging rates for AGM vs flooded batteries? You two links go to one source – the manufacturer of a battery charger. They're tenders that are alleged to improve motorcycle battery life are pretty pricey compare to most Battery Tender products. If the BatteryMender can do what it claims the high prices could be recouped.
Well, ST Gui, you get the GRAND PRIZE for being receptive enough to at least inquire about documentation. Here you go:

https://www.odysseybattery.com/Home

Click on SUPPORT, then LITERATURE, then (near the bottom), "ODYSSEY Battery Approved 12V Charger Listing "

This is part of what you'll see:

The Odyssey chargers do not have the DESULFATION cycle of the BatteryMINDER chargers, which I understand is a proprietary system (and I fully appreciate).

Contrary to what T_C said above, AGM battery chargers are not "interchangeable" with the old lead-acid battery chargers. Sorry. Things change. Keep up.

Blaming the battery is like filling your fuel tank with Diesel and blaming the bike for it not running right. If you are only getting 5 years out of a battery it's YOUR fault.

OP
OP
hoowasat
Bike
2006 ST1300A
If you are only getting 5 years out of a battery it's YOUR fault.
I mentioned in my installation thread that I'd be happy with 3 years of service, thus I'm more than happy getting 5. If I don't get more than 5, I'm still happy. And if you're getting more than 5, I am happy for you, too.

Bike
2006 ST1300 basic bl
T_C,

Exactly my point. At least catch up to 30 years ago!!

Bike
2006 ST1300
I use a Battery Minder, it's ( knock on wood) over 20 years old, and does a great job on not only charging, but desulphating. I was not a big believer of the "desulphating" property of the unit 'til just recently. I had bought a used 2013 NC700X,( under 8k miles on it) and the PO had already had 3 batteries in it- Turns out he wired a USB socket/charger directly to the battery, and it slowly killed the battery. The battery in question was a 6 month old Yuasa, bought at a dealer ( 199 bux!), and it would not come to a full charge. I rewired the USB adaptor, and put the Battery Minder on it. I let it run for two days, at which time, it did show a full charge. I took it off, and let it go a few days, and yes, it had a full charge still. That was 2 months ago, and it is working fine now.

I think the Battery Minder is probably the reason I got so many years out of a Scorpion battery ( 7 years!), and 11 years out of my scooter battery. Well worth the money!

On another note, I got it to replace a Battery Tender, which failed after only 2 years. I called up the parent company, since it was under warranty, and they told me they would replace it for "only" $36.00 shipping and handling. I had purchased it for 42$ two years previously. I politely declined, and bought the Battery Minder.

Bike
2006 ST1300 basic bl
I had a very similar experience to Klaproth with a BatteryMINDER.

I bought a BMW '99 R1100S several years ago (early 2016) to get back into bikes after 30 something years of kids, family, career, etc. Rode it three times a month or so and leaving it on an old "trickle charger" in-between rides. After six months or so, one morning, it wouldn't crank. The PO had replaced the battery a couple of years earlier with an Odyssey PC680 and I was totally unfamiliar with fuel injection, AGM batteries, voltage regulators, battery chargers, and most everything else. The PC680 had a very good reputation among the beemer crowd so I bought a new one and installed it.

At some point, I was alerted to the charging requirements and peculiarities of the AGM type battery and purchased a BatteryMINDER ("BatteryMINDer 2012-AGM - AGM Batteries Only - 12 Volt-2 Amp Battery Charger, Battery Maintainer, and Battery Desulfator for Odyssey, Optima AGM Lead-Acid Batteries") on Amazon. After reading about the "desulfation cycle" on the BatteryMINDER instructions I decided to see for myself and connected the old dead PC680 to the new BatteryMINDER. Several days later it showed a full charge. We installed it in a friend's bike where it still is, as far as I know.

I then replaced the voltage regulator in the R1100S with an AGM rated (14.5-.7v) reg in the Bosch alternator and it's still going strong. https://www.euromotoelectrics.com/BOSCH-Voltage-Regulator-BMW-R-K-p/boalt-reg365.htm

I learned several things during this episode:

1. You cannot bump-start a fuel-injected bike (any engine) with a dead battery.

2. ECU's (fuel injection computers) much prefer - run much better on - a fully charged battery.

3. AGM batteries are DEFINITELY NOT your father's batteries (lead-acid and filler caps). https://www.batteryminders.com/agm-battery-info/

4. The "Desulfation Cycle" is for real.

5. 13.5 volt chargers and voltage regulators of any amps will only get an AGM battery to about 80% charge and all batteries last much longer fully (100%) charged.

6. Motorcycles made in the '90s and early '00's were changing over to the AGM batteries (and the voltage regs) because of their much better performance in bikes than the older "lead-acid" batteries and if your bike's voltage regulator is of the old design (13.5v) for lead-acid, you should consider upgrading it for the benefit of the AGM battery (and you, your "RIDING TIME", and your wallet).

7. The BatteryMINDER will not overcharge the battery if left connected for long periods of time. It also compensates for the ambient temperature (or you can get and connect a temperature sensor on the battery itself.)

There is a way to bump up the regulator's voltage to 14.5-.7v by installing a properly sized resistor between the connectors on the regulator if you can't replace the volt reg.

I need to find out about my own '06 ST.

Last edited:
Top Bottom