OEM topbox vs. Aftermarket options?

STRider

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 ST1300A
STOC #
So I'll be disappointed if this can of worms I'm opening doesn't get a bit heated at some point, but here it goes...

Other than being able to share a key with the other locksets on the bike and that it's sourced from the mothership in Hamamatsu, is the OEM topbox for the ST1300 objectively superior to the Givi/Shad or other aftermarket options?

Sure they look integrated into the styling of the bike, but boy does the Givi Maxia line function exceptionally well and look good doing it. With so many products sharing the same Monokey attachment system, including non-Givi racks that blatantly copied their mount design, your options are much greater. Smaller. larger, adv style if that's your thing. They can be keyed alike too so you only need to add one non-ignition key to your ring.

I'm not saying your pursuit of the elusive OEM topbox is wrong, I just don't find it compelling personally. I'd take one if you gave it to me, but I'd likely flip it to fund a Givi! (Except for the new Maxia5. I've yet to warm to its styling.)

Sitting back, waiting for the brickbats...

Last edited:

Willsmotorcycle

Ride more...
Site Supporter
Bike
2016 ST1300P
2024 Miles
Other than being able to share a key with the other locksets on the bike
I'm not sure it has this going for it Tom, however I never tried to file the key down to see if it will even fit in the keyway. If anyone knows how to do this... please post.

Having never looked at an aftermarket box on the ST and said wow that looks great, I have thought it about the OEM with and without the spoiler. The Blue and late Silver are really sharp.

For comparison, I have an older Maxia, it's a steamer trunk compared to the OEM, but looks out of place on the bike IMHO.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
Other than being able to share a key with the other locksets on the bike and that it's sourced from the mothership in Hamamatsu, is the OEM topbox for the ST1300 objectively superior to the Givi/Shad or other aftermarket options?
The interesting anecdote there: the OEM ST1300 top case actually is made by Givi Italy... just as the ST1100 top cases were made by Hepco & Becker... ;)
(so if you need extra keys, lock barrels, latches, etc... you'll now know where to find them...)

The real difference lies within the design of the (then required), just as expensive OEM carrier stay plate, where Honda included a damping system, allowing the case some sideways movement in order to absorb vortex/buffeting, so the air-flow Unruhe won't transfer into the (rear)frame...
:beatdeadhorse:

Folks like "space"... yes, you can just throw two modular helmets from across the parking lot into a freight container sized 56ltr Givi Maxia... and then some...
But payload is exactly the issue there, having space is tempting to use it, the result: weight... and all the side effects of having that mass high and way behind the rear axle...

Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
The interesting anecdote there: the OEM ST1300 top case actually is made by Givi Italy... just as the ST1100 top cases were made by Hepco & Becker... ;)
(so if you need extra keys, lock barrels, latches, etc... you'll now know where to find them...)

The real difference lies within the design of the (then required), just as expensive OEM carrier stay plate, where Honda included a damping system, allowing the case some sideways movement in order to absorb vortex/buffeting, so the air-flow Unruhe won't transfer into the (rear)frame...
:beatdeadhorse:

Folks like "space"... yes, you can just throw two modular helmets from across the parking lot into a freight container sized 56ltr Givi Maxia... and then some...
But payload is exactly the issue there, having space is tempting to use it, the result: weight... and all the side effects of having that mass high and way behind the rear axle...
Thanks!
I wondered why the Givi mounted to our 2006 looked so much like the Honda box of about the same era. I was just introducing myself to ST's when I bought our 1991 in 2014. First box I found advertised to fit it was from Ebay....no maker's ID. Both boxes do as they should...except.....both rattled to the point I was concerned about stress fractures where they mount into the adapter plates. Fixed that with some medium density sticky backed foam sold for mounting window a/c units. The clattering noises have gone away, but there is still some relative motion there, even when the boxes are loaded so I'm no longer concerned about embarrassing cracks.

OP
OP
STRider

STRider

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 ST1300A
STOC #
... Both boxes do as they should...except.....both rattled to the point I was concerned about stress fractures where they mount into the adapter plates. Fixed that with some medium density sticky backed foam sold for mounting window a/c units. The clattering noises have gone away, but there is still some relative motion there, even when the boxes are loaded so I'm no longer concerned about embarrassing cracks.
I just solved that slop/rattling problem on my own Givi V56. Will take pictures and post what I did later in a separate post. Tight as a drum now.

I found that the tour pack from Harley fits just right between the panniers although as a welder it was easier to make the mounts, I don't think you can get mounts already made. I don't believe Harley would want this blasphemy or Honda to admit it works. Been on trips and had lots of room for two-up with luggage on rack at top also.

Bike
2002 ST1300A
I found that the tour pack from Harley fits just right between the panniers although as a welder it was easier to make the mounts, I don't think you can get mounts already made. I don't believe Harley would want this blasphemy or Honda to admit it works. Been on trips and had lots of room for two-up with luggage on rack at top also.
Any picture of HD tour pack on ST? Got me really curious :)

Bike
2002 ST1300A
Top box uses a different key (Givi red one), so no benefit there.
I just love the unified looks, and the Honda branded mat inside :) Plus, it has great space. And some aerodynamic features as well (rubber mountings as mentioned above, plus those small fins on the sides).

Finally, really comfy backrest for the wife! :radleak:

When we bought the 1st ST13 (used), it included a Givi Monolock - I think it's the 56L. Then we bought a 2nd ST13, and I migrated the Givi to the newer bike.

That case can hold a boatload of gear. We mostly used it to carry wife's purse, snacks, water, and other day-trip odds-n-ends.

Then when we stop somewhere, we can throw the jackets, gloves, etc in. Convenient and roomy. The best part is it's also a backrest for the wife :thumb:

STFlips

Site Supporter
Bike
2001 ST1100A
I've got the Givi 47 on mine but a friend with a Wing just put on a very nice Shad as it is easily expandable from 46 to 58, kinda cool.

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
I've always liked Givi, and 2 clamshell 46l and a decent top box worked well for me on the Blackbird, and they didn't dork up the svelte lines as I had feared they would.
I think it was a Wingrack to hold them all on, and with bags removed it still looked unobtrusive, and the black rack blended in well. No round bars or goofy tubes like we see on adventure bikes.
Wish I hadn't lost the pictures.
On my 1300 I jumped at a used Givi top box here in For Sale, early on, and it too doesn't look weird or wonky, IMO. Don't recall what size, I think it's a 46l but not sure.
I don't see many original STs down where I live, much less any with an OEM top box.

Thank you for doing that for making a link to those pictures. My old computer went to the blue screen of death and I was going to take more pictures to try to put them on this. Last time it took a sacrificial chicken and 2 pounds of ground mole teeth offered to the gods of programming to get the pictures in. Don't have any more chickens and used the mole teeth to fix washing machine

Top Bottom