Oil Change Helpful Tip

Erdoc48

Site Supporter
Bike
94/00/04 STs, FSC600
I did the oil changes on both STs yesterday, and I was able to use the side stand to hold away from the bike the lower fairing plastics (remove the 3 back Allen bolts on the left side)- it’s an old piece of advice that worked well.

Anyway, when refilling, the thread size of a 12 oz Gatorade bottle matches the threads of the oil filler, so what I did was use a pair of cutters and cut the bottle about 1/2 down (cut the bottom off the bottle so you’re making a funnel), clean and dry it, and then screw the threads of the bottle/ funnel you just made into the filler. My success with funnels hasn’t been that great with the last few changes (some minor spillage as I’m using a gallon jug of T6) so this worked very well for me (on the 1100, not sure if it would work on a 1300).

It may have been covered before, I’m not sure.

See my post here, for another option (with photos)

the thread size of a 12 oz Gatorade bottle matches the threads of the oil filler... cut the bottle about 1/2 down... so you’re making a funnel... clean and dry it, and then screw the threads of the bottle/ funnel you just made into the filler.
If that works on a 1300 that would be awesome!

Go up to post #2 above and go to that page. I think that’s what I’m going to do next time (the bungee cord thing). I hate spilling oil but it’s cheaper by the gallon vs buying quart bottles.

Back
Top Bottom